E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

here we go again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 01:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, carbon black on black, sport automatic, M package (M-tech), Premium package, tech package, USB...
Smile

Here we go again. It the second time already in a month which my car is only a month old. "Engine malfunction, reduced power". It felt the same as last time, the car is shivering (vibrating) violently at idle (stop at traffic light). Once it started moving, the car doesn't shiver at all, just felt like the car has 100 hp less than normal. Should probably be the same as last time, one of the cylinder miss fire and need to change the injector.

It just pain in the butt that I have to go to service everything when I have a whole lot of things to take care of like going to work, picking kids from daycare. Going to the dealership every month can't really fit into my schedule. Plus I am now afraid to take the car long distance... Don't know what's going to happen when I am out of town.

I just took her to the dealership and hopefully they will call me back ASAP to let me know what's gonna happen...

Now my question is what can ask for in return for this? If this happens the third time, are they suppose to call it "lemon" or replace the engine for me?? I need your input...
Old 05-29-2008 | 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Would also be interesting in finding out what happens, GL. Please keep us posted, hope you don't mind but posted a link to both of your threads regarding this topic here:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry591136

it's a thread started to ID possible "lemons"...
Old 05-30-2008 | 10:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Hmm ! , this sounds eerily familiar , good luck
Old 06-02-2008 | 05:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, carbon black on black, sport automatic, M package (M-tech), Premium package, tech package, USB...

The car is dropped of Thursday afternoon, and now it's Monday evening. They are still unable to tell me what's wrong. I called them up and they just said they are still working on finding the problem. I don't know how long they'll need to locate where the problem is. Maybe I should start thinking about ordering another E60 or perhaps a E90 M3 ... Am I just bad luck on the 535i or other people has the same issue, cylinder miss fire and they need to replace the injector.
Old 06-03-2008 | 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Originally Posted by 08E60' post='593993' date='Jun 2 2008, 08:42 PM
Am I just bad luck on the 535i or other people has the same issue, cylinder miss fire and they need to replace the injector.

Twice in the past 2 months this "Reduced power, engine malfunction" light came on and disappeared after I switched the engine off and turned it on again.
Today it came on twice and for the first time it felt sluggish. I am scheduled to take it to the BMW center next week.

Hope it's nothing serious but I have a feeling that they are going to keep the car for a while.
Old 06-04-2008 | 09:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Black Metallic/Cream Beige Manny tranny and other stuff Recently gone, but never forgotten: 2005 Ford Mustang GT (hence the name) Torch Red/Crimson Manny tranny and every option available for that year 2002 Chrysler 300M Special Brilliant Black/Light Taupe/Dark Slate Autostick and goo-gobs of neat features that I will sorely miss

I think a sticky thread needs to be put up about the "engine malfunction! reduced power." message. I feel your pain. I'm running on repair number 2. So far, so good.
Old 06-04-2008 | 08:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535 xi, HUD, Mtech body kit, Dinan software upgrade, loaded, need some nice wheels :)

Originally Posted by 08E60' post='591089' date='May 29 2008, 05:28 PM
Here we go again. It the second time already in a month which my car is only a month old. "Engine malfunction, reduced power". It felt the same as last time, the car is shivering (vibrating) violently at idle (stop at traffic light). Once it started moving, the car doesn't shiver at all, just felt like the car has 100 hp less than normal. Should probably be the same as last time, one of the cylinder miss fire and need to change the injector.

It just pain in the butt that I have to go to service everything when I have a whole lot of things to take care of like going to work, picking kids from daycare. Going to the dealership every month can't really fit into my schedule. Plus I am now afraid to take the car long distance... Don't know what's going to happen when I am out of town.

I just took her to the dealership and hopefully they will call me back ASAP to let me know what's gonna happen...

Now my question is what can ask for in return for this? If this happens the third time, are they suppose to call it "lemon" or replace the engine for me?? I need your input...
i had a bent turbo line and bad valve
Old 06-05-2008 | 10:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

get them to put a new engine in it.
Old 06-06-2008 | 06:03 AM
Senior Members

make sure the air filter compartment is secured correctly. this could cause this error

although, after this was corrected on mine, the problem didn't go away until the next day. i guess something 'reset' after a few hours.
Old 06-06-2008 | 07:11 AM
Members

Are you talking about this message??
Attached Thumbnails here we go again.-engine_fault.jpg  

Quick Reply: here we go again.