E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

help!!!Screw stuck in my low pro tires (falkens)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 5series
Model Year: 2004
Unhappy

Today, when I was jacking up my car I noticed that a screw with a washer was stuck in my low pro tires on the front passenger side,
I removed it but air was leaking rapidly, so I stuck it back in, what do I do!!
Old 09-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Take that wheel to Discount tire to see if you can plug n patch it.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

pay a few bucks and get a patch/plug put in
Old 09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Contributors

I just called merchant they said 40$, and just tires said 80$. Where can I get this cheaper, and how long does it normally take? the guy said about 1 hour. Im about to go to merchant, so any advice is helpful. thanks guys
Old 09-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i white/black sport,prm,navi,cold weather

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='662981' date='Sep 5 2008, 06:53 PM
I just called merchant they said 40$, and just tires said 80$. Where can I get this cheaper, and how long does it normally take? the guy said about 1 hour. Im about to go to merchant, so any advice is helpful. thanks guys
deff patch it iv done the same thing
Old 09-05-2008, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Don't just use a plug though, have the tire taken off and patched properly on the inside and remounted and balanced. It's gonna cost you $50.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Contributors

A proper repair, with careful removal and reinstall, will cost you at least $30. Choose a shop that has the correct equipment and trained technicians so you don't get your wheel screwed too!
Old 09-05-2008, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Ok heres the story guys, I went to Merchant's auto tire shop, and told them to patch it, which cost 47$ with tax. So the first thing they did was put the car on a hydraulic jack and tried to take the wheel bolts off, but couldn't since they didn't have the right adapter, so I went to the back and pulled out the wheel wrench used for the spare tire, and took them off myself, if that wasn't bad enough they couldn't take off my wheel from the tire, since they said it was reverse mounted, they said they didn't want to scratch my aftermarket wheels, and also said they don't want to be liable for damages and told me my only choice was to take my car to a BMW service department, or put in a plug. So this was at 8:30 P.M. on a Friday night and I told them I needed my car, so I told them to just put on my wheel and pump some air back into it also put the screw back into the tire so air wouldn't leak out. Being the unprofessional shop they were, they didn't know how much air to put in and what to torque my wheel bolts too. So I did it myself, and took it to advance autoparts store, and bought a tire plug for 10$, and plugged the tire in myself. Problem is I don't know how long this will hold up for, and I feel my car drifting more to the right, where my punctured tire is. Please give me some advise on what I should do next, and where I can take my car to make sure this problem is resolved. Or do you think this tire plug is sufficient and will hold up overtime, thanks guys.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Contributors

Question

Originally Posted by bimmer530iguy' post='663146' date='Sep 5 2008, 11:58 PM
Ok heres the story guys, I went to Merchant's auto tire shop, and told them to patch it, which cost 47$ with tax. So the first thing they did was put the car on a hydraulic jack and tried to take the wheel bolts off, but couldn't since they didn't have the right adapter, so I went to the back and pulled out the wheel wrench used for the spare tire, and took them off myself, if that wasn't bad enough they couldn't take off my wheel from the tire, since they said it was reverse mounted, they said they didn't want to scratch my aftermarket wheels, and also said they don't want to be liable for damages and told me my only choice was to take my car to a BMW service department, or put in a plug. So this was at 8:30 P.M. on a Friday night and I told them I needed my car, so I told them to just put on my wheel and pump some air back into it also put the screw back into the tire so air wouldn't leak out. Being the unprofessional shop they were, they didn't know how much air to put in and what to torque my wheel bolts too. So I did it myself, and took it to advance autoparts store, and bought a tire plug for 10$, and plugged the tire in myself. Problem is I don't know how long this will hold up for, and I feel my car drifting more to the right, where my punctured tire is. Please give me some advise on what I should do next, and where I can take my car to make sure this problem is resolved. Or do you think this tire plug is sufficient and will hold up overtime, thanks guys.
As soon as the wrench turner was unable to remove your BMW's lug nuts you should have RUN from away this jerk outfit. I don't understand your reluctance to go to a BMW Service Center - many are open on Saturday's. You're driving a BMW ... for heavens' sake are you really needing to save 20 bucks for a crap tire repair??? As an alternative, go to tirerack.com and search for the shops they list on their website - especially those that specify they are certified or specialize in work with special wheels and tires - like RFT's. That said, it is very possible that the plug you inserted from the outside permanently damaged your tire.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

Plugging is NOT sufficient. The only way to properly repair a tire is to plug AND patch it. So no, you can't run on it.

I guess I'm left wondering why people here sometimes want to find the "cheapest" and not the "best" way of fixing a situation.

I would have gone to a better tire shop (clearly the one you went to can't work on BMWs) because I also would have wanted a knowledgeable person's opinion as to whether the tire can really be fixed. At the place you went to, they probably don't know that the tolerances are (esp. for low profile tires) in terms of where the screw went in etc.

Please do yourself a favor and go to a shop which handles better cars and let them examine the tire and determine if it can be repaired and, if it can, let them do it - even if it costs a few dollars more. Keep in mind it may be too late - your plug might have eliminated the possibility of a proper repair.

Quick Reply: help!!!Screw stuck in my low pro tires (falkens)