E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP: Xenon headlights stopped auto leveling and directional

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG

Originally Posted by cheenah' post='1000465' date='Sep 6 2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check for a disconnected plug like you said. It sounds kinda like exactly what the problem might be. No, the green LED is not blinking.

I suppose calling them wouldn't hurt, maybe the tech (if it's on record) can make some suggestions. Good idea, thanks! I'll update after I check the headlight for disconnected plug(s).
I believe the dealers/bmw have 1year/12k miles warranty on parts and labor. So although your car is no longer falls into original warranty period, you can still
claim this issue to be fixed. However, I am not sure you can just go to a local dealer, this warranty might be a dealer specific(means you will have to visit that particular dealer you went to fix the problem).
Old 09-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire - Fully Loaded
Model Year: 545i 2005

i had this problem with my headlights. I thought the adaptive light control went bad. I disconnected the plug for the headlight and replugged it in. Then everything was back to normal. You can give that a try, but if you stil have warranty I suggest you to just bring it back to the dealership and let them fix it.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did you try it with the light switch on auto?
Old 09-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Members

UPDATE: I finally had time to take the headlight assembly apart, following Brabusw's instructions here:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...mp;gopid=969316

These instructions were pretty good after I figured out the angles of the photos and I extracted the entire headlight and partially disassembled it on the bench. I found nothing wrong inside, no wires disconnected, nothing stuck in the worm gears that operate the leveling and adaptive headlight works. It's odd to me that neither leveling nor adaptive turning is working, and again I have the light switch set to Auto (far left) and the LED is green and not flashing. Nevertheless I reassembled the entire works and it there was no luck as far as leveling and adaptive turning but I at least was able to use the manual headlight adjustments (which are insanely easy BTW) to lower the driver side headlight so it wasn't up in the air blinding people. As a stationary Xenon headlight the driver's side is safe and fine, but it's an annoyance for sure that the light doesn't level or adapt into turns.

I should point out that the passenger side does auto level but does not adaptive turn.

One good thing learned was that manual adjustment of the headlights is super easy, just use a phillips screwdriver to turn the two plastic (white nylon) screws while pointing the headlights at a wall.

The next step is for me to try taking it to the dealer here in Maryland. I don't expect them to fix the problem for free, even though I believe a BMW tech caused this problem in the first place. It's not easy for me to get to the dealership during business hours so I'll update after I get that opportunity.

Thanks all for help and suggestions so far.