E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help, What's the trick to installing rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, What's the trick to installing rear shocks

With two people (old guys) one in trunk, one below with car on a lift we cannot find the "magic" to get the three studs on the shock mount to align with the three holes in the shock tower. Visibility is very bad as there is only about 2" of space to reach in and put the nuts on, or look with a mirror. There must be a "trick"? Only some one who has done this will understand my problem, please help.

Well, there are two washers which go on the top of the shock, the larger one on top of the snubber, the smaller on top of the shock mount. If you reverse the two (which I did) the larger washer wont let the shock pass through the opening in the shock tower, so the studs won't get to the holes in the shock tower. Stupid me! Thanks all for looking.

Last edited by wellison; 01-14-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:09 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by wellison
With two people (old guys) one in trunk, one below with car on a lift we cannot find the "magic" to get the three studs on the shock mount to align with the three holes in the shock tower. Visibility is very bad as there is only about 2" of space to reach in and put the nuts on, or look with a mirror. There must be a "trick"? Only some one who has done this will understand my problem, please help.

Well, there are two washers which go on the top of the shock, the larger one on top of the snubber, the smaller on top of the shock mount. If you reverse the two (which I did) the larger washer wont let the shock pass through the opening in the shock tower, so the studs won't get to the holes in the shock tower. Stupid me! Thanks all for looking.
No trick needed when I replaced mine unless you have wrong shocks it was a one man job for me.
After giving it some more thought,(it's been a few yrs ago when I did this job), make sure you removed the wheel liner also have a small jack handy to raise the wheel carrier once you have attached the bottom shock mount to the wheel carrier, then just raise all slowly and guide the top strut into the screw holes at the top.
All can be done from below once it is fitted you can apply the three nuts in the trunk.

Last edited by cmyachtie; 01-16-2017 at 02:28 PM.