5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   help to troubleshoot misfire on N62TU (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/help-troubleshoot-misfire-n62tu-148256/)

tpaxadpom 03-06-2018 11:07 AM

help to troubleshoot misfire on N62TU

Hey guys I need some directions on how to troubleshoot the misfire on my wife's 550i. Periodically I get check engine light with 29CE and 29CC errors.
I have checked the spark plug on cylinder 2 and ingition coil. No issues were noted and no oil on the spark plug.

I have swapped spark plug and ignition coil on cylinder 1 and 2. Today my wife started the car and it had a really rough idle with 29CE and 29CC errors thrown. Since the problem didn't follow the spark plug/ignition coil I can conclude it is not ignition coil/spark plug related. What should be my next step? This issue is pretty rare and seems to happened only on cold start. I drove the car to work today and no problem with idling. I have BMW diagnostic software (inpa, rheingold...).
The car mileage is right under 40k miles.

Gee_115 03-06-2018 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by tpaxadpom (Post 1594254)
Hey guys I need some directions on how to troubleshoot the misfire on my wife's 550i. Periodically I get check engine light with 29CE and 29CC errors.
I have checked the spark plug on cylinder 2 and ingition coil. No issues were noted and no oil on the spark plug.

I have swapped spark plug and ignition coil on cylinder 1 and 2. Today my wife started the car and it had a really rough idle with 29CE and 29CC errors thrown. Since the problem didn't follow the spark plug/ignition coil I can conclude it is not ignition coil/spark plug related. What should be my next step? This issue is pretty rare and seems to happened only on cold start. I drove the car to work today and no problem with idling. I have BMW diagnostic software (inpa, rheingold...).
The car mileage is right under 40k miles.

Could be the fuel injector. Not sure exactly how you diagnose that without taking it out. Fuel injector shouldn't go bad at 40k though.

tpaxadpom 03-07-2018 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gee_115 (Post 1594269)
Could be the fuel injector. Not sure exactly how you diagnose that without taking it out. Fuel injector shouldn't go bad at 40k though.

Thank you. I agree fuel injectors used on N62TU seemed to be pretty solid comparing to those used on N54 and other turbocharged motors. I wonder if CCV can cause this, the strange thing is that it is only cylinder 2 that is throwing the error and it happens very rarely.

cmyachtie 03-08-2018 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by tpaxadpom (Post 1594276)
Thank you. I agree fuel injectors used on N62TU seemed to be pretty solid comparing to those used on N54 and other turbocharged motors. I wonder if CCV can cause this, the strange thing is that it is only cylinder 2 that is throwing the error and it happens very rarely.

Welcome to my world.....have been chasing similar cold start misfires for 6 winters now with limited success here’s another thread with some suggestions, next thing I am going to try is replace my coolant temp. Sensor.

Help with cold start resulting in misfire on 545i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums