E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with tranny decission

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 04:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550745540

Need your help with tranny choice.

So I've narrowed it down to a 550. Next decision is manual or SMG.

I'm comfortable with a manual but my daily drive includes a fair bit of stop and go. I'd really like to go with the SMG but have not had a chance to test drive an SMG car. My concern is that what I know about it is good, an actual drive may change my opinion. The manual is a known quantity and I know it wouldn't disappoint. Not likely to be able to test drive an SMG as dealer(s) in my area don't seem to have any available.

I've read as much as I can about the SMG vs. manual discussion and it makes me think that I probably wouldn't be disapponted with an SMG. So my questions go out to current SMG owners and those that have an opinion based on actual drives. SMG owners: glad with your choice or prefer auto/manual? What are the good points about the SMG and not so good points?

My choice needs to consider: wife will never drive a manual but may with SMG (is that a reason to go with manual ;-) I'm an 'enthusiastic driver (why else would I be here?) want both the involvement that comes with manual and also the laid-back driving possible with SMG.

How do I order my car?

Thanks in advance,
Old 07-07-2005, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Well the SMG actually shifts faster then a person shiting a manual can, so that may help you drive more enthusiastically. If you get bored driving an auto the SMG offers the paddle option so you have a polace to put your hands. I havn't been very pleased with my manual. I've a problem with the clutch since day one with it getting overheated and slipping. They finnaly admitted there was a problem after 11,000 miles. I was not pleased to be driving a car the vibrates on the way in to first for 11000 miles. Since the new clutch it has worked much better. I havn't removed the CDV yet. I can't comment on improved shifting there.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

SMG
Old 07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

SMG, SMG, SMG. You won't regret it.

My opinions on SMG are posted widely here so I won't repeat them. Just go to the SMG thread in the FAQ forum and from there, you'll see links to all the pertinent SMG threads.

Keep in mind that if you test drive one, you may not like it at first -- just order one -- you'll thank us later!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Jul 7 2005, 07:53 PM
Keep in mind that if you test drive one, you may not like it at first -- just order one -- you'll thank us later!
[snapback]146781[/snapback]
Ya just order it!
Old 07-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joebel' date='Jul 7 2005, 05:33 PM
Need your help with tranny choice.

I'm comfortable with a manual but my daily drive includes a fair bit of stop and go. I'd really like to go with the SMG but have not had a chance to test drive an SMG car. My concern is that what I know about it is good, an actual drive may change my opinion. The manual is a known quantity and I know it wouldn't disappoint. Not likely to be able to test drive an SMG as dealer(s) in my area don't seem to have any available.

I've read as much as I can about the SMG vs. manual discussion and it makes me think that I probably wouldn't be disapponted with an SMG. So my questions go out to current SMG owners and those that have an opinion based on actual drives. SMG owners: glad with your choice or prefer auto/manual? What are the good points about the SMG and not so good points?

My choice needs to consider: wife will never drive a manual but may with SMG (is that a reason to go with manual ;-) I'm an 'enthusiastic driver (why else would I be here?) want both the involvement that comes with manual and also the laid-back driving possible with SMG.

How do I order my car?

Thanks in advance,
[snapback]146748[/snapback]

If you cannot find an E60 with SMG to test drive, find a Z4 with SMG. The two are very similar. If you like it on the Z4, then go for it.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Jul 7 2005, 11:58 PM
If you cannot find an E60 with SMG to test drive, find a Z4 with SMG.? The two are very similar.? If you like it on the Z4, then go for it.
[snapback]146798[/snapback]
If you don't like it on the Z4, order it anyway!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Jul 7 2005, 04:53 PM
Well the SMG actually shifts faster then a person shiting a manual can, so that may help you drive more enthusiastically. If you get bored driving an auto the SMG offers the paddle option so you have a polace to put your hands. I havn't been very pleased with my manual. I've a problem with the clutch since day one with it getting overheated and slipping. They finnaly admitted there was a problem after 11,000 miles. I was not pleased to be driving a car the vibrates on the way in to first for 11000 miles. Since the new clutch it has worked much better. I havn't removed the CDV yet. I can't comment on improved shifting there.
[snapback]146755[/snapback]
I love my manual, but I am old school and have very little stop and go. On the few times that I have to go through LA, it has not been a problem - the clutch has a good feel. I know the SMG is a techno improvement, but that is just me. Probably a good thing to consider if you sit in stop & go traffic for long periods.

I have had no problems with my clutch/transmission, but it is probably different on the 545i. Surprising to hear about problems as BMW has long been known for smooth manuals.

I did change out the CDV which is a MUST if you go with the manual.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' date='Jul 7 2005, 08:58 PM
[quote name='joebel' date='Jul 7 2005, 05:33 PM']Need your help with tranny choice.

How do I order my car?

Thanks in advance,
[snapback]146748[/snapback]

If you cannot find an E60 with SMG to test drive, find a Z4 with SMG. The two are very similar. If you like it on the Z4, then go for it.
[snapback]146798[/snapback]
[/quote]

NOooooooooo The Z4 functions similiar but its horrid!!! I test drove that and almost didnt get SMG because of it. then I found a real 545 SMG at another dealer and test drove it. Its 1000X better. Trust me dont base it off the Z4 and trust me You'll like SMG on the E60.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 550745540

Well, it's pretty clear how the responses so far are going.

Your enthusiasm for SMG really makes me think I should go ahead with it even if I don't have a chance to test drive a vehicle. This is the kind of opinion from owners I was hoping to get. But is there anything about SMG that you would change/improve if you could?

Thanks again and keep the responses coming. I may have to place my order as soon as this weekend. My dealer is itching to get me down there to place my order. Strange, I thought that the 550 wouldn't be available to order until September.

Quick Reply: Help with tranny decission