E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! snow questions for e60

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Hello all,

I'm going to big bear in a couple of days (hopefully taking the long route to avoid using chains) and I had a couple of questions. But first my car is a 2004 525i w/sports package and I put 20 inch chromes on it (thats why I dont want to use chains). Questions:

1) Is 1 day in the snow going to hurt my car (i heard the salt on the road could damage it), but it ifs o.k. do you recommend when I bring it home to pressure wash all of the wheels, rotors, etc...?

2) Should I push the DSC or DTC button on my way or just when I'm stuck in snow (I dont understand how to use in snow)
I know I should use snow tires but this may be a 1 time deal thing

3) Any other advise?

Thanks so much for your help, oh and yeah, god I love this car!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 AM
ADD
Senior Members

First off, relax.

Second, 20s are not going to perform very well, depending on what you have them wrapped with.

Don't worry about the salt. My Black Sapphire looks like Space Gray this time of year. Just get a good laser/touchless spray wash when you return. Go to a place that has the undercarriage sprayers too.

Leave all buttons alone in the car for normal driving. If you have trouble starting off, push the button once to activate "DTC", which allows for some wheel spin to get you going. Once you are underway, push it again, and the lights should go off, meaning full traction control is again active.

Lastly, you gotta remain cool when driving in snow, especially on 20s with summer tires I assume.

No rapid movements of the steering wheel, brake or throttle. You need to let the natural motion of the car do it's job. You aren't going to be able to muscle it around. I actually drive with very light pressure on the steering wheel in these situations. Driving cool is not easy especially if you're not used to snow.

Anticipate the need for accelerating and slowing down. If you anticipate slowing down, you shouldn't really need the brakes that much. Leave plenty of room to the guy ahead.

GL
Old 01-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your running summer tires I'd be very careful or borrow another car.

If you hit any snow/ice covered roads while heading up the mountain you are screwed. You will not beable to go anywhere. With summer tires and two inches of just snow on the ground you'd have a hard time driving around your block. Just simple snow packed road you will not even move on once you stop. So going up a mountain pass is going to be just about impossible. You're really putting yourself and everyone on the road in danger trying it if you got summer tires on.

Personally I'd try borrowing another car or make someone else drive. Heck I'd even offer to pay for all there gas for them to drive as its cheaper then having a wrecked BMW.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Like the other guys have said I would not suggest the 20's in the snow, maybe put your stock wheels back on for the trip.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wickedbmw' post='779854' date='Jan 28 2009, 10:54 PM
Hello all,
I'm going to big bear in a couple of days (hopefully taking the long route to avoid using chains) and I had a couple of questions. But first my car is a 2004 525i w/sports package and I put 20 inch chromes on it (thats why I dont want to use chains). Questions:
1) Is 1 day in the snow going to hurt my car (i heard the salt on the road could damage it), but it ifs o.k. do you recommend when I bring it home to pressure wash all of the wheels, rotors, etc...?
2) Should I push the DSC or DTC button on my way or just when I'm stuck in snow (I dont understand how to use in snow)
I know I should use snow tires but this may be a 1 time deal thing
3) Any other advise?
Thanks so much for your help, oh and yeah, god I love this car!
You probably aren't going to have sufficient clearance for "chains" ..

IMHO - Practice driving on snow / ice on an empty parking lot - NOT ON THE ROADS. Learn how your car behaves under extreme conditions [braking, turning, accelerating] when you're NOT on busy streets with other crazy people driving ill-equipped cars / SUVs all rushing nowhere fast.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

u dont put chains for summer tires. the tire has to be suitable for snow tires. Summer tires are called summer for a reason. They are not for winter use. Some states consider it illegal to use summer tires during winter. get some snow tires or all seasons or use another car. Dont put ur car and lives at stake.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung' post='780101' date='Jan 29 2009, 09:35 AM
Like the other guys have said I would not suggest the 20's in the snow, maybe put your stock wheels back on for the trip.
+1 I live in NY and i take mine off early Nov...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

Originally Posted by macknificent75' post='780212' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:42 PM
+1 I live in NY and i take mine off early Nov...

My summer car doesn't even come out of the garage between late October and mid-April-ish.. Why? I'm too cheap to buy another set of wheels/rubber (20x10 with Nittos for summer)...

I agree with everyone else. Either get winter rubber (and wheels if necessary) or have someone else drive or borrow a car. You're going to get in an accident with summer tires, I'd bet $$ on it. Might be a one-car accident (if you're lucky), but I'd guarantee it. Especially since it doesn't sound like you're familiar with winter driving.

Take it from a guy in Buffalo....
Old 01-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='780227' date='Jan 29 2009, 12:56 PM
My summer car doesn't even come out of the garage between late October and mid-April-ish.. Why? I'm too cheap to buy another set of wheels/rubber (20x10 with Nittos for summer)...

I agree with everyone else. Either get winter rubber (and wheels if necessary) or have someone else drive or borrow a car. You're going to get in an accident with summer tires, I'd bet $$ on it. Might be a one-car accident (if you're lucky), but I'd guarantee it. Especially since it doesn't sound like you're familiar with winter driving.

Take it from a guy in Buffalo....
Exactly. I used to live in Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. Didnt need snow tires but my all seasons were gone within a few months driving in a CLK55 AMG. LOL. well, i was driving back and forth the three cities a LOT for work though. DIdnt have a problem there since ppl knew how to drive in the snow...usually...and I took it easy. When I came back to NYC, I put snows on so in case of emergencies, I can pull out of situations if others put me in danger.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Contributors

Don't worry, the roads are cleared, they don't use salt and the weather forecast is excellent for the next seven days. I have taken my e60 to Mammoth numerous times. Getting in and out is not a problem, just stay away from unplowed areas.

Quick Reply: Help! snow questions for e60