E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help with rear seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with rear seats

I have a 2008 BMW 535i without the rear seat folding option and I am trying to install the modmynav multimedia interface with rear view camera. I cannot figure out a way to remove the seats to run the camera's wire to the front and I have not found anything using pics of how to do this. I am at the end of my patience with this and I am about to start drilling some holes, please help!
Old 10-12-2013, 12:08 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Untitled.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Help with rear seats-untitled.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 04:05 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

[QUOTE=Chief Holley;1521522]I have a 2008 BMW 535i without the rear seat folding option and I am trying to install the modmynav multimedia interface with rear view camera. I cannot figure out a way to remove the seats to run the camera's wire to the front and I have not found anything using pics of how to do this. I am at the end of my patience with this and I am about to start drilling some holes, please help![/QUOTE

If u remove the back seat cushion on the passenger side , u will see on top of the gas tank cables running to the trunk . Remove the bolts that secure the. bottom of the seat rest,, the seat belt attach to those bolts. There is a wire clip that u need to undo with a screw driver . That will allow u to pull the seat away towards the front seats stick a short block behind the seat to create space
Now open the trunk pull out the trunk matt . On the bottom of the side panel u will see red cables going into the cab witch are the same cables over the gas tank there is a hole in the frame where those Cables pass . Get a coat hanger and pass it through the hole . Go back into the car and grab the end from behind the seat attach ur new wires and pull them through . U can then route the wires over the transmission hump though inside the arm rest and into the dash
Ive ran a bunch of stuff threw that spot ,, hope that helps u out good luck with ur camera

Last edited by H F; 10-12-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

The bottom just lifts up. Grab it from under neath about where the passenger would sit and pull up to disconnect. You will still need to release the back to gain access for routing, you can do it without, but I think there is too much seat flexing needed. Get a light and flat head screw driver and go in trunk on you back head first. Look up at the top near the back seat and maybe a few inches away from the edge and you will see a locking device. You need to place the screwdriver inside and slide it and it will unlock. This is plenty to provide enough space to run the cables. To lock it back in place just push in the area on the inside and you will hear a click. Reinstall the bottom by fixing seat belts in position and after aligned press down where you had pulled earlier.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 AM
Members

Thanks gents! @ H F, I will give this a try today with new inspiration! I have seen the bolts that you mentioned (not the cables though). Do I need to remove the whole back rest and is it a PITA like the bottom portion to get back in? Last time, that was a two person job to get seatbelts back into place. @ Tonyb, are you saying through one of those fasteners connected to the rear deck? These are definitely some options then the ghetto job I was planning on doing!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes, the locks are at the top and when you release them the seat can be pulled forward at the top enough to slide cables through. If you want to remove the back completely you need to remove the center screws and the bolts from the inside. Otherwise just releasing the lock on the side that you want to route the cables is enough.