5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Help with a problem that has stumped Indy and Stealership (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/help-problem-has-stumped-indy-stealership-147940/)

Nadhir 12-19-2017 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by dgreenzalis (Post 1592971)
Would your car do the "idle warm up" thingy if you just sat there?

Yes. I just sit there for about 30 seconds until it lowers down to 600RPM then just drive but nothing crazy until it’s warmed up.

NoQuarter 12-20-2017 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nadhir (Post 1592972)
Please tell me that’s a joke.

What makes you think this is a joke?

Start the car and drive away. This doesn't mean be a fool and max out the RPMs. It means drive away moderately and allow the engine and transmission to warm up much quicker than sitting and idling at 600 RPM.

Nadhir 12-20-2017 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by NoQuarter (Post 1592990)
What makes you think this is a joke?

Start the car and drive away. This doesn't mean be a fool and max out the RPMs. It means drive away moderately and allow the engine and transmission to warm up much quicker than sitting and idling at 600 RPM.

Pretty sure driving it as soon as you start it is bad for the engine. Should wait around 30 seconds or so until the engine warms up prior to driving.

NoQuarter 12-20-2017 06:28 PM

Sorry... Didn't realize 30sec was the point of this conversation.

FormerE30Owner 12-20-2017 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nadhir (Post 1592991)
Pretty sure driving it as soon as you start it is bad for the engine. Should wait around 30 seconds or so until the engine warms up prior to driving.

Actually, It is NOT recommended to let the engine idle at cold to warm up. The sooner the engine warms up the better. Driving at moderate engine speeds warms up the engine more quickly, which is a good thing. So start the engine and drive off after 5 seconds works fine - then you don't worry about "erratic" engine idle speeds.;)

amesser325 12-21-2017 07:21 AM

Do you know if the adaptations were reset with the injector replacement? It won't be a night/day response, and I believe the DME would eventually re-adapt to the new injectors but the reset might help the shimmy before the idle drop.

Also, as long as there is oil pressure it is fine to drive reasonably immediately. At most, it will take ~5 sec with cold (< 30F) oil to feed the turbo bearings and less time to feed the cam and main bearings. Getting an oil film between the bearing and the crank/cam/turbo shaft is what you want.

Andy
07 530xiT soon to be ex-x

audiophool 12-23-2017 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by dgreenzalis (Post 1592971)
Would your car do the "idle warm up" thingy if you just sat there?

To a degree. It idles a bit higher for a while then slows down. Never paid it that much attention.

audiophool 12-23-2017 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nadhir (Post 1592991)

Nope. Start it and drive moderately. No reason AT ALL to idle it before driving. These are modern engines that run great when cold. In the olden days, an engine with a carburator would be fussy when cold, so a lot of people would idle them for a while to 'warm them up', since they ran like crap on choke.

The only time I'll idle my car when cold is if I need to brush some snow off it, or scrape frost off the windows.

FormerE30Owner 12-23-2017 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by audiophool (Post 1593051)

The only time I'll idle my car when cold is if I need to brush some snow off it, or scrape frost off the windows.

Have you noticed how long it takes the engine to warm up when you do that?
Mine (2005 545) takes forever to warm up, so, to avoid a long idle at cold temperatures, I remove the frost and snow before starting the car, especially if it is going to take more than 2-3 minutes to remove the snow.:(

audiophool 12-24-2017 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner (Post 1593053)
Have you noticed how long it takes the engine to warm up when you do that?
Mine (2005 545) takes forever to warm up, so, to avoid a long idle at cold temperatures, I remove the frost and snow before starting the car, especially if it is going to take more than 2-3 minutes to remove the snow.:(

I'll idle it when scraping/brushing so the bun warmers and steering wheel heater can get toasty. Since the E60 has no temp gauge, you never really know WTH is going on with temps.