E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help Please - Can't get the Fuel Filler Nozzle into the tank!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:18 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Went to top up the gas at the weekend and that little flap in the fuel filler neck just won't move! Can't get the pump nozzle into the tank.

Does anybody know how these spring loaded things work? There seems to be a tab at the top and bottom of the flap, but pushing them doesn't seem to do anything. If I can't fix it myself I'll have to book in to a dealer before I run dry!
Old 06-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by artc' post='608251' date='Jun 23 2008, 03:18 PM
Went to top up the gas at the weekend and that little flap in the fuel filler neck just won't move! Can't get the pump nozzle into the tank.

Does anybody know how these spring loaded things work? There seems to be a tab at the top and bottom of the flap, but pushing them doesn't seem to do anything. If I can't fix it myself I'll have to book in to a dealer before I run dry!
I suggest you go to the dealer. I haven't come across this problem. I wouldn't force it. Act in haste ... repent at leasure.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

Try turning the car off and opening and closing the door locks with the key fob. I know the gas door cap locks when you lock the doors to the car.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: April 2007 520D M Sport LCI. Automatic. Sunroof. BMW Bluetooth. Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Natural Brown Leather.

Hey slickrick.... I can open the door & get the cap off no problem. It is the small flap inside the neck of the tank that won't move. Normally inserting the filler nozzle pushes it aside, but it won't budge!
Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by artc' post='608251' date='Jun 23 2008, 10:18 AM

Since you have a diesel, are they using the urea injection by you yet. It needs to be refilled or the car won't run, maybe the fuel nozzel lockout has something to do with this?

Edited: I did find this article-

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...1024/LATESTNEWS

"The EPA is considering rules that will require the vehicle to eventually stop running if drivers don't keep the tank filled.

Karl Simon, the EPA's assistant director for the office of transportation and air quality, said the agency is focusing on an early-warning system that notifies drivers when the urea tank is low.

The agency also is considering an inducement that forces drivers to refill the urea tank - for example, preventing the engine from starting if the tank is empty or automatically locking the fuel filler door until the urea supply is replenished.

The agency says automakers will have to make it easy for drivers and technicians to identify the urea tank and refill it."

By the way, urea is somehow a nice word for urine. If you are in a pinch, get a six pack, drink it, and refill the urea injection tank.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pennetta' post='608714' date='Jun 24 2008, 02:56 AM
By the way, urea is somehow a nice word for urine. If you are in a pinch, get a six pack, drink it, and refill the urea injection tank.
We don't use Urea injection here (yet) - that is being pioneered for you guys in the US! Based on what I have read, they must be planning to install one hell of a tank as they claim it will be refilled by the dealer at oil change intervals - that's some amount of pee to carry around with you!

I went to a different gas station last night to see if the pump nozzle could be at fault, and guess what, it worked! A little bit of resistance and then it sprang open.
Problem solved
Old 08-13-2016, 10:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW
Default Fuel tank Nozzle detachment in BMW X1

Hi, Just had the fuel nozzle problem in my Bimmer X1. Called roadside assistance and they took only 2 min to fix this up. It is pretty cool. Try to slide the flap in the upward direction with a screwdriver. Once it goes up you need to slide in the metal part in it. It goes and sits comfortably there.

Best

Arun