E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007 | 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Sorry for the long post in advance but need some help advice please. Have posted previously regarding a vibration felt through the rear of my new 520d M Sport. From new the car has vibrated and is much much more noticeable after the car has stood, even for a few hours. Anyway took the car back and the dealer says its normal, although he didn't experience it at it's worst as the car had not stood. Have now done 5k miles and decided to get the wheels balanced so I took it to a place that I know to be good, both rear wheels 10g out on each side (20g in total per wheel) so had then balanced and analysed for out of round etc. The machine uses a laser to plot a graph of any defects / problems with the tyre. A reading of 0 being perfect, 1 and 2 being normal and 3 usuay causes a problem. My tyres were 0.5 and 0.6 so no problems, put them on the car and drove off, car semed fine. Anyway stood the car for a few hours and guess what, went out and vibration as normal that seems to 90% go after a few miles but still seems to be present.
It just so happens that I have a 530d M-Sport on loan this week as mine is having a small bump fixed, it has the same wheel and tyres as mine does (19" 172 with conti 2's) and this car is so much smoother at the 60 - 75mph mark, both are smooth above this. ok its a six cylinder but putting that aside it seems to damp the bumps better and there is none or very little vibration through the seat. I should get my car back next week, its 4 months old, 5k miles and the problem was noted by the dealer when it was new. Has anyone any idea what could be the problem, could it simply be a bad tyre(s) and should I push BMW to sort it out. Thanks for your help
Old 05-13-2007 | 07:15 PM
Members

HEllo There!!

This my First Post.... i read very often but couldn'et find answers this time!!

THe problem in this Topic is actually identical to mine!!!
THe BMW service went crazy verifying my rear wheels with no luck!!! The car Stayed There For a week, and finally got back with problem still present.

Vibration is felt from the back in the seat around 107km/h...

1. Mags are bran new style 128.
2. Tires Are brand new 19 35 275 (rear) they verified changed and verified again with load force machine!
3. Tires Were slipping inside Mags.... they were reiinstalled and glued on MAGS...
4. Brakes were also verified! and also the whole rear suspension Was checked too!
5. Drive Shaft verified from A to Z!!!!
6. VIBRATION STILL THERE!!!
7. SA GOING CRAZY..... he even tried the wheels of another car.... still the same!!
8. A note was sent to BMW canada

my Ride is a 545 Sports Pack, Active steering, Active suspension, M package, Premium Package.

can anyone post back for any clue what that crazy problem is!!!

thanks Folks!

Elie
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:25 AM
Members

I am french. I have 530d M SPORT november 2006 with 19 172M. And same problem, vibration after 80km/h in the hand and in the car. After wheels balance, the problem is always present.
I have write a letter at bmw service and i wait the answer.
Old 05-14-2007 | 07:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW545M' post='424032' date='May 13 2007, 10:15 PM
HEllo There!!

This my First Post.... i read very often but couldn'et find answers this time!!

THe problem in this Topic is actually identical to mine!!!
THe BMW service went crazy verifying my rear wheels with no luck!!! The car Stayed There For a week, and finally got back with problem still present.

Vibration is felt from the back in the seat around 107km/h...

1. Mags are bran new style 128.
2. Tires Are brand new 19 35 275 (rear) they verified changed and verified again with load force machine!
3. Tires Were slipping inside Mags.... they were reiinstalled and glued on MAGS...
4. Brakes were also verified! and also the whole rear suspension Was checked too!
5. Drive Shaft verified from A to Z!!!!
6. VIBRATION STILL THERE!!!
7. SA GOING CRAZY..... he even tried the wheels of another car.... still the same!!
8. A note was sent to BMW canada

my Ride is a 545 Sports Pack, Active steering, Active suspension, M package, Premium Package.

can anyone post back for any clue what that crazy problem is!!!
thanks Folks!

Elie

What is the date of you car ?
Old 05-14-2007 | 11:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Guys, have another set of wheels and tyres on the rear of my car from a slightly newer car and my car drives perfect, no vibration and a much smoother ride. I believe that this is a tyre issue and even though they balance up ok they still have an inbalance, maybe a weak side wall. I would insist that the dealer tries another set of wheels/tyres that are known to be good on your cars and if this cures it insist they change the tyres on your rims as a starter. My car stood for a month or so before I took delivery, this can cause flat spots on tyres, some tyres recover from this whilst others don't. Also ensure that all wheel nuts are tourqued up equally and in a diagonal pattern as this helps to minimise vibrations etc. Usually do my wheel studs finger tight, then nip up, then 45 lb/ft then 90 lb/ft, in a diagonal sequence and always put the locking wheel nut opposite the valve.
Old 05-15-2007 | 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i MSport, Silver Grey, Step, 19" 172 Wheels, Media Pkg inc MP3, Heated Front Seats, Black Leather Seats, Aux Port, Space Saver Wheel, M Rear Spoiler, Ext Voice System

K44ent after you posted the possible reason, this makes good sense but I guess if somehow the tyre is being affected e.g. flat spots etc, they should reoccur even on new tyres if you leave the car for a few days in the same spot.

I've noticed a slight 'wobble' coming through occasionally via my steering wheel between 60-70 mph (I have 19" 172's on a 530i M Sport) but it was happening only every so often. Had it this week when I took the car out after not driving it for a few days and it's not there after the initial trip. I think it's also worse when the weather's cold.

Maybe others can verify if they feel any vibration when they drive their cars and it's been stationary for a day or two...
Old 05-15-2007 | 06:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

Your problems appear to be a harmonic variation in radial force. This is effectively that the force necessary to compress the tyre to the usual shape varies as the tyre rolls. This may/ will not be visible to balancing or, indeed, to plotting the diameter as this is not done under load. If you over-inflate the tyres it should reduce the effect slightly. The fault is definately with the tyres and I would ask that they be replaced.

In the old days, i.e. 15 years ago this wouldn't happen because the car manufactures bought in the tyres, sample checked them and then fitted them to the rims. Nowadays the tyre manufacturers fit the tyres directly to the rims and the checking procedures are reduced by the car manufacturers to reduce costs.
Old 05-15-2007 | 07:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by simba' post='424549' date='May 15 2007, 02:01 PM
K44ent after you posted the possible reason, this makes good sense but I guess if somehow the tyre is being affected e.g. flat spots etc, they should reoccur even on new tyres if you leave the car for a few days in the same spot.

I've noticed a slight 'wobble' coming through occasionally via my steering wheel between 60-70 mph (I have 19" 172's on a 530i M Sport) but it was happening only every so often. Had it this week when I took the car out after not driving it for a few days and it's not there after the initial trip. I think it's also worse when the weather's cold.

Maybe others can verify if they feel any vibration when they drive their cars and it's been stationary for a day or two...
My view on this is that a tyre will usually recover from a flat spot after being parked. Driving for a few miles will usually be enough but in some cases they will not fully recover and give an out of balance feeling all the time. In cold weather the tyre pressures will be lower and the tyre more susceptible to flat spotting when parked, hence your slight wobble sometimes. Also when cold the tyre will stiffer so any flat spots will take longer to remove (the tyre go back to its original shape) Also lower profile tyres are more susceptible to flat spotting, i think this is due to the materials used as well as the physical size of the side wall. I believe that my original tyres had been stood on the car for so long that they had permanent flatspots or weaknesses in the side wall and no amount of balancing will cure this.
This is only my view but I have had similar problems on a few cars and all have had continental tyres fitted and have been new cars!!
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by CC57' post='424198' date='May 14 2007, 11:32 AM
What is the date of you car ?
It is May 2005 built date.... why does it have an effect?

thanks
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='424564' date='May 15 2007, 10:19 AM
Your problems appear to be a harmonic variation in radial force. This is effectively that the force necessary to compress the tyre to the usual shape varies as the tyre rolls. This may/ will not be visible to balancing or, indeed, to plotting the diameter as this is not done under load. If you over-inflate the tyres it should reduce the effect slightly. The fault is definately with the tyres and I would ask that they be replaced. with ALL the sets, vibration is exactly the same!!

In the old days, i.e. 15 years ago this wouldn't happen because the car manufactures bought in the tyres, sample checked them and then fitted them to the rims. Nowadays the tyre manufacturers fit the tyres directly to the rims and the checking procedures are reduced by the car manufacturers to reduce costs.
Three sets of Wheels were tried on the car!!!! from another car 17inch, my winter wheels 18 inch, my brand new wheels 128 with brand new tires.... and also they changed the back tires because they were doubting that they had some manufacturing defect!!!!!! and still the problem is there!!!!

the only thing that was not change is the Actual wheel itself.... is feels like it needs a hubcentric ring.... but my wheels are oem... so need for that!....
really going crazy..... vibration is felt trough the seat coming from the back.... and it has nothing to do with the fact the care stayed or not.... it is always there.... if you are acceleration and going through the speed NO VIBRATION IS felt... the only time you would feel it, it is if you let the car decelerate on it's own .... or driving at a steady 107km/h speed....

they also verified the whole DRIVE SHAfT..... and nothin

thanks!

Elie