E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Default Help!!! Please

hey guys,

I have a 2004 525i with about 72k on it. About a year ago the car was giving a tremendous amount of white smoke from the exhaust. I took it to a local mechanic and he stated that one vacuum hose bursted and there was some carbon deposits clogging which caused the white smoke and so he fixed. After driving it for about a month everything was good, the car hasn't been driven for the rest of that time. (has been turned on from time to time) About a month ago when i went to turn it on and take it for a drive around the block i smelled something burning in the engine bay. (i believe it is the anti freeze burning but not sure. Everytime i turn on the car the same burning smell comes back. NEED HELP:exc l: thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

where is the smell coming from? exhaust? under hood?

and the car hasnt been driven, but started from time to time? for how long each time?
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marchaddad
hey guys,

I have a 2004 525i with about 72k on it. About a year ago the car was giving a tremendous amount of white smoke from the exhaust. I took it to a local mechanic and he stated that one vacuum hose bursted and there was some carbon deposits clogging which caused the white smoke and so he fixed. After driving it for about a month everything was good, the car hasn't been driven for the rest of that time. (has been turned on from time to time) About a month ago when i went to turn it on and take it for a drive around the block i smelled something burning in the engine bay. (i believe it is the anti freeze burning but not sure. Everytime i turn on the car the same burning smell comes back. NEED HELP:exc l: thanks
Sorry, none of us can see in the engine bay or smell what you are smelling. If you are not a DIYer, and you are not getting any warning lights you will need to drive it to your mechanic. If you get an overheating light get it towed. Driving an overheating engine can do serious damage.

TIP for the future: If your car has to sit undriven for a long period it is better to not start the car, unless you are going to drive it for at least 1/2 hour. You will discharge the battery more by running it just a few minutes than not starting it at all. But far worse, when you start the engine and the engine begins to warm up water vapor is formed. Driving the car 1/2 hour will allow the engine and exhaust system to get hot enough to burn the water vapor off. Just starting the engine for a few minutes and then letting it cool will allow the water vapor to condense to liquid water, diluting your engine oil and leaving water in the exhaust system, promoting rust formation in both the engine and exhaust system.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:59 AM
New Members

This car belonged to my mother since 04, last year she got a e92 and I get my license in a couple of month so I'm trying to find out a lot about this car. The car would be turned on once a month if that,(for about 10 min) There are no lights popping up on the dash. The smell is coming from under the hood
Thanks for the replies and tips
Old 10-09-2013, 05:09 AM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530i

This car belonged to my mother since 04, last year she got a e92 and I get my license in a couple of month so I'm trying to find out a lot about this car. The car would be turned on once a month if that,(for about 10 min) There are no lights popping up on the dash. The smell is coming from under the hood
Thanks for the replies and tips
Cudos for wanting learn about the car! You'll need to pop the hood and look around with a flashlight to see if you can see any leaking fluids. A burning smell could be anything from leaking coolant to some critter that crawled into the engine bay and died.

Does the smell start immediately after starting the engine, or does it take awhile? Do you hear any abnormal noises coming from the engine? Do you see any smoke from under the hood or out of the tailpipe?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10 AM
New Members

No smoke or noise, and it take a few min. After the car is tuned on.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530i

No smoke or noise, and it take a few min. After the car is tuned on.
Okay. In that short a period of time, I think the most likely culprit is a leaking valve cover gasket. The oil may be dripping on the exhaust. With the engine off and cool, feel around the back and sides of the valve cover and see if you get oil on your hands.

If that's not it, open the coolant expansion tank (like you're checking the coolant level). Again, do this with the engine off and cold. Take a whiff and you can compare that smell to the smell you get when you start the engine. If that's the smell, get a flashlight and look to see where it's leaking.

If you're not comfortable with doing these checks, take it to your mechanic. He'll find the cause of the smell.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:48 AM
New Members

Thanks for all the tips, will try this weekend. Thanks again