E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

JSTRAW,

The problem I'm experiencing is not with down shift, I only get the jitter between the speeds of 50 km - 60 km and the dealer was able to experience this problem and that's why the shop foreman suggested that the Torque Converter is getting weak and the jitter happens when the car is trying to go to overdrive, if I step on the gas and pass the 60 km mark everything goes to normal. What's interesting is the car was in service back in April and the dealer needed to upgrade the firmware, so today I'm running with the latest firmware BMW has to offer I started to experience this problem a month later. When I mentioned that to the shop foreman he said it was a coincidence and has nothing to do with the problem. The car shifts very smoothly upwards and downwards accept at the speeds I mentioned and it only happens when the car gets really hot meaning after driving it for half hour+. Since changing the fluid did not do it for you then I wont change it. I'm going to try one more time with the dealer tomorrow and see if they are willing to help with warranty out of good will as one of the members suggested.

Originally Posted by JStraw
I have the same problem you are experiencing. In doing some (re)search, I found this (see the bolded text).

I am out of warranty as well, and I can't reproduce the judder on a regular basis to show the SA. I did try changing the transmission fluid, but the problem did not go away.

I am not sure you need a transimission re-build.

SI B 24 03 09
Automatic Transmission April 2009
Technical Service

SUBJECT
550i and 650i with N62TU and 6HP26 - Various Drivability Complaints

MODEL
E60, 550iA produced from 09/05 up to 02/07

E63, E64; 650i produced from 09/05 up to 09/07

SITUATION
The customer may complain about one or a combination of the following situations, listed below:

Intermittent harsh 4-3, 3-2 or 2-1 downshift (jolt) when coming to a stop with light brake application.

Jolts and/or jerks felt when reaccelerating after coasting.

Judder when gently accelerating (most noticeable at an engine speed below 2,000 RPM).
CAUSE
DME and EGS software calibration

SOLUTION
Program the vehicle with ISTA/P 2.33.0 or later, using the path "Conversion" and "Downshift behavior". After this modification, the k-word "HADS" will be added to the Vehicle Order.

Note that ISTA/P will automatically reprogram and code all programmable control modules that do not have the latest software.

For information on programming and coding with ISTA/P, refer to CenterNet / Aftersales Portal / Service / Workshop Technology / Vehicle Programming".

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty or the Certified Pre-Owned Program.

Defect Code:
24 00 33 98 00
Old 07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Members

I had the exact same problem with my 2004 545i. I was able to reproduce the problem by moving the shifter to manual mode and driving in 5th gear. I would feel a release of power for a split second...only in 5th gear. They replaced the "mechatronic" in the transmission under warranty. Problem solved!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by Moopai
WPG550, what do you mean a quick search for "goodwill"? Search at the dealer for someone that is whiling to help!
Here is a partial excerpt of the SIB related to "goodwill" - remember, this is a US service bulletin so don't quote it exactly, but there is a similar policy in Canada:

SI B 01 07 03
Warranty August 2008
Warranty

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B01 07 03 dated June 2008.

SUBJECT
Center Administered Customer Assistance Program (CACAP)

SITUATION
BMW is pleased to support the BMW Center Administered Customer Assistance Program or (CACAP), otherwise known as the Self-Authorization or "SA" Program. The BMW Group has undertaken this initiative to complement your growing business, and to give you more flexibility to assist customers in different ways. We are confident this program will support your efforts to provide the highest customer satisfaction and the best possible ownership experience. Please read and refer back to this bulletin for details and a better understanding of how this program works.

REASON FOR THE PROGRAM
This program provides your center a tool to build customer confidence during a difficult or unusual situation. The goal is to exceed customer expectations and provide increased satisfaction along with product loyalty, leading to repeat sales.

This program considers that decisions made on the spot, at the center with the customer, have a greater opportunity to deliver the above objectives than those made after escalation and delays.

ELIGIBILITY
When determining the customer's eligibility for goodwill participation, several factors are important, including the cost of the repair, how long ago the warranty expired, whether the vehicle been fully maintained, whether this a multiple BMW owner, the condition of the vehicle, whether the customer endured unusual hardship, and whether investing in the customer will keep the customer within the BMW brand.

Please remember that goodwill customer assistance is discretionary and not an obligation. The decision to participate requires good judgment by the service advisor and center manager, and all claims submitted under this program are subject to periodic audit.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Wpg550
Here is a partial excerpt of the SIB related to "goodwill" - remember, this is a US service bulletin so don't quote it exactly, but there is a similar policy in Canada:

SI B 01 07 03
Warranty August 2008
Warranty

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B01 07 03 dated June 2008.

SUBJECT
Center Administered Customer Assistance Program (CACAP)

SITUATION
BMW is pleased to support the BMW Center Administered Customer Assistance Program or (CACAP), otherwise known as the Self-Authorization or "SA" Program. The BMW Group has undertaken this initiative to complement your growing business, and to give you more flexibility to assist customers in different ways. We are confident this program will support your efforts to provide the highest customer satisfaction and the best possible ownership experience. Please read and refer back to this bulletin for details and a better understanding of how this program works.

REASON FOR THE PROGRAM
This program provides your center a tool to build customer confidence during a difficult or unusual situation. The goal is to exceed customer expectations and provide increased satisfaction along with product loyalty, leading to repeat sales.

This program considers that decisions made on the spot, at the center with the customer, have a greater opportunity to deliver the above objectives than those made after escalation and delays.

ELIGIBILITY
When determining the customer's eligibility for goodwill participation, several factors are important, including the cost of the repair, how long ago the warranty expired, whether the vehicle been fully maintained, whether this a multiple BMW owner, the condition of the vehicle, whether the customer endured unusual hardship, and whether investing in the customer will keep the customer within the BMW brand.

Please remember that goodwill customer assistance is discretionary and not an obligation. The decision to participate requires good judgment by the service advisor and center manager, and all claims submitted under this program are subject to periodic audit.
+1000 ... BMW knows its automatic transmissions have been and continue to be a serious weakness in an otherwise flawless drive train. Don't let them try to act like your situation is one in a million!
Old 08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

UPDATE:

So finally I heard back from the dealer this morning after three weeks!

Here's the new bullsh**t story: BMW Canada all of a sudden is willing to pickup half of the cost of the parts without labor which equates to ~$1200. BMW will install a re-build transmission with 24 months warranty and my portion of the cost is going to be ~$5500 + Taxes. The SA told me this is the best BMW can do in this situation since the warranty expired and when I reminded her about my complaint of the transmission problem prior to the expiry of the warranty, she apologized and said that's all she can do which I totally understand and appreciate.

Where do I go from here? Any suggestion on what can be done with BMW Canada? When the transmission problem started, I called BMW Canada they told me there is nothing they can do since the warranty expired but when the dealer got involved, they became willing to pay half of the cost of the part. I'm so pissed and cannot believe that a transmission goes at 100k, UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Few weeks ago I posted the following problem:
************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************
I know the transmission subject has been overly discussed on this forum and I read many posts but something weird happened with me today that I want to run by you and see what you think! I'm at a traffic light, light turns green I step moderately on the gas paddle, I can feel the transmission is shifting smoothly from 1st, 2nd and third and possibly fourth and then I get kind of a kick feeling not sure what it is for a split second. It's like something holds the car for a split second and then release it. I'm driving in "D" mode and doing around 50-60 Km/h by the time it happens. No issues in down shifting or anything else. It happened about four times on my way home today. The dealer updated my software to the latest version couple of months ago before my CPO expired, they were doing some work on the car and had to upgrade me to the latest. Could this software upgrade be the cause? If it is why it's showing up now after almost 2 months? I just got home and did a factory reset to the transimssion hoping it would resolve whatever this thing is but have not taken the car to a test drive.

Any ideas what the cause might be?
Is this Murphy's law that my CPO expired and I'm going to have a major transmission problem?

************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************

Today I went to the dealer for a test drive and shop foreman confirmed the problem is the boost converter and he recommended for the transmission to be rebuild in the same time as repairing the boost converter. The jerky feeling at speeds of 50 km - 60 km is happening because the car is trying to go to overdrive. I got quoted by the dealer for the rebuild ~$4000 + taxes. The BMW shop that I typically use quoted me $3500 + taxes to get the job done not much different from the dealer. I've read several comments on the forum from people that had a slipping problem with their transmission and when they changed the fluid + filter the problem went away. I asked the dealer and the two independent shops about changing the transmission fluid and all three came back saying that I will waste my money doing that. This problem starts to happen only after driving for a while, meaning when the car gets hot. I did the 25 second reset more than once, it works for few days then the problem comes back, the foreman at the dealer tells it works because the computer is trying to adapt to the new change and when it cannot I goes back to to the same issue.

Your recommendation please! What should I do? The last thing I wanted now is to spend $4k on transmission repairs. Any ideas is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Members

It certainley seems like everyone with a auto 545i has some varation of this problem with tranny. It also seems like if you have a warranty they want to do software upgrades, and if you bitch enough they might swap your mechatronics. If you dont have a warranty.... you need a new transmission.

Next thought...
Will my new mechatronics break in 40,000 more miles?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:37 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport

They came to the boost converter solution after just a test drive??

I had the EXACT same problems and mine was fixed with a new tranny pan and mechatronics sleeve. only cost ~500.

Transmission feels better than ever. Id get a second opinion....or third, fourth.. fifth...
Old 08-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

Just to clarify did your car have a problem kicking into overdrive? That's the problem I'm having and that is why I get that weird feeling between speeds of 60km to 70km. The other weird thing is when the car is still cold, I don't experience anything and it drives smoothly for about half an hour before it starts to act again. If the tranny or boost converter has a problem, why it only happens after the car warms up.

What is a mechatronics sleeve?

Originally Posted by sessionmc
They came to the boost converter solution after just a test drive??

I had the EXACT same problems and mine was fixed with a new tranny pan and mechatronics sleeve. only cost ~500.

Transmission feels better than ever. Id get a second opinion....or third, fourth.. fifth...
Old 08-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

why it only happens after the car warms up.
the fluid gets thinner when hot, so you lose hyraulic pressure.
you may be able to solve your problem by changing your fluid and adding a trans additive in, which will swell up the old seals, and may restore pressure. or even skipping the fluid change and just adding a additive. it's only a chance it'd work.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

NEW UPDATE:

Went back to the dealer after BMW committed to cover a portion of the cost and my part was going to be ~$5,900 and told them I'm not satified with the outcome. The dealer was nice enough that they went back to BMW and asked if anything better can be done. BMW came back this time and lowered the amount by ~$2,000 which makes my part ~$3,800. The dealer gave me one week to think about it. To rebuild the tranny at a local tranny shop, it is going to cost me around $3,000 dollars with 20,000 km or one year warranty. BMW will drop in an OEM rebuild and will waranty it for 24 months unlimited milage.

I still have to go next week to a couple of transmission places to check the car and make sure the tranny needs to be re-built before I go ahead.

What's your thoughts???

Just to clarify did your car have a problem kicking into overdrive? That's the problem I'm having and that is why I get that weird feeling between speeds of 60km to 70km. The other weird thing is when the car is still cold, I don't experience anything and it drives smoothly for about half an hour before it starts to act again. If the tranny or boost converter has a problem, why it only happens after the car warms up.

What is a mechatronics sleeve?