E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! Navigation is lost

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i Sport
Thumbs up

I searched around but couldn't find a good answer.

My Navigation is off course and it thinks that North is South. I stopped by the dealer. He took out the DVD and told me that if that doesn't fix it, I'll have to leave it with them.

Since you guys are soooooo much smarter about these cars than the dealer, I figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone had a fix for this, perhaps a resettting or a re-booting of the Nav system.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 02-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickyf' post='534721' date='Feb 23 2008, 02:37 AM
I searched around but couldn't find a good answer.

My Navigation is off course and it thinks that North is South. I stopped by the dealer. He took out the DVD and told me that if that doesn't fix it, I'll have to leave it with them.

Since you guys are soooooo much smarter about these cars than the dealer, I figured it couldn't hurt to see if anyone had a fix for this, perhaps a resettting or a re-booting of the Nav system.

Thanks,

Rick

It seems like the Gyro-Sensor has failed, part# 4 here, but you have to try resetting 2-3 times the unit with Mute and 2 eject buttons simultaneously (Alt-Ctrl-Del) and see what happens.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Read the following thread and any links to other threads it contains to see it that'll help you out...
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=49489
Old 02-22-2008, 04:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='534738' date='Feb 22 2008, 05:09 PM
Read the following thread and any links to other threads it contains to see it that'll help you out...
Thanks Rudy, I looked at that thread before I posted my question and I tried what it said. I was able to get into a Diagnostic menu on the I-Drive, but there was no way to go to the Navigation and press reset as it says there. Perhaps with my latest software update things may have changed.

Rick
Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='534738' date='Feb 22 2008, 05:09 PM
Just to be clear, my problem is not the same as the others that I saw in those threads. It's not off by 50 feet or so, the problem is that it is completely off. The north arrow is pointing south. I tried holding down the two eject buttons and the mute. This did seem to re-boot the system but no change. I can't get to the secret menu with the navigation reset.

I guess I'll have to leave it at the dealer.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Try using a paper map. They worked fine for many years. If that fails, you may always revert to celestial navigation. Now that is a lost art!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MidnightRider' post='534787' date='Feb 22 2008, 08:28 PM
Try using a paper map. They worked fine for many years. If that fails, you may always revert to celestial navigation. Now that is a lost art!
That's a great idea! Maybe I should take the engine out and cut holes in the floor so I can propel the car with my feet like Fred Flinstone while I'm at it.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i remember in my prevous japanese cars, i had the rear view mirror with a compass and sometimes it would get confused... i think it was because of magnatic interferance..
on those cars you had two options to reconfigure it.
either drive around until it fixed it self, (few hours)
or
press the reset button and drive in a circle in an empty parking lot a couple of times...

you can try going to and empty parking and trying driving around in circles perhaps you get lucky and the compass gets grip..
Old 02-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

Originally Posted by madoon' post='534852' date='Feb 23 2008, 08:11 AM
you can try going to and empty parking and trying driving around in circles perhaps you get lucky and the compass gets grip..

are you sure you're not holding your car upside down?

You need to reset the country configuration, yours is probably in Pole-mode

just kidding, it sounds like some hardware failure to me. The other things (reset) indeed just fixes being off and start to re-learn. Your's seems to start on the wrong foot.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Members

Was I supposed to be driving with the wheels on the ground? Why didn't it say so in the manual? Those crazy Germans think we're supposed to know everything!

Quick Reply: Help! Navigation is lost