E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP ME: the engine turns itself off

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:30 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 520D LCI 2007
Default HELP ME: the engine turns itself off

Hello everybody
Forgive me if I do not speak good English language. . . .
After showing up at the corespondiente paragraph:
https://5series.net/forums/new-membe...-spain-145925/
I wanted to tell a fault that bmwfaq forum here in Spain, there is controversy as to which may be caused by failure
520D LCI. 2007
When I start totally cold car engine, all perfect, and after reaching a certain temperature, it does not matter if you're at a higher speed or less, no effect after a while, I stopped the engine, pulled the clutch let fall Zero RPM, loose clutch again and starts, if I happen to speed ZERO pressed the clutch will give the start button and start the car properly.
I think it has to do with the operating temperature at the level of a sensor or something I do not know. that once a working temperature not stop again. if it's cold as now circle motorway, cooled somewhat and the engine stops again alone.
I think it could be any sensor as the camshaft or crankshaft, but do not want to change things like crazy, then stay the same with the same failure.
In diagnosis with ISTAD, nothing comes about.
¿Do you ever happen to you. ????
Thank you very much for your attention and hope your wisdom to help me solve the problem.
Old 10-28-2016, 01:15 AM
New Members

anybody ??????
Old 10-28-2016, 07:30 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Perhaps if you posted in Spanish, someone might be able to answer - It is very difficult to understand what the problem might be according to your description.
Salut, Bob P.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:15 AM
New Members

Buenas a ver si así me entendéis.
Coche frío arranco y tod bien.
Cuando empieza a coger temperatura el motor, llega un momento que se para solo incluso circulando no importa a que velocidad vaya. Tengo que pisar el pedal del embrague para que las rpm se vayan a cero para volver a soltar el embrague y vuelve a arrancar o puedo también poner punto muerto y volver a arrancar el motor. Por eso les decía si será el sensor del árbol de levas o el sensor del cigüeñal que con la temperatura empieza a fallar. Después de coger la temperatura de trabajo ya no da más problemas pero me resulta muy peligroso que circulando se pare el motor y por ejemplo me quede sin Dirección, frenos, etc. Sabéis a que puede ser debido o si le ha pasado a alguien alguna vez??????
Muchas gracias por vuestra atención.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 311 Likes on 298 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I have to say it is a new one to me. Have you looked at it with INPA since it does give you information errors. I am new to ISTAD and did not see everything I could do with INPA. There has to be something that is telling it that the temperature is out of tolerance if I am reading your issue correctly. I would not think it would be the cam sensors.

Since you are not getting codes then you will have to troubleshoot the old way by getting up under the hood. Its hard to give you solutions without codes because of the language barrier. If you continue to work on your issue please post because I am sure someone will understand the issue and get you to the right fix.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:19 AM
New Members

Thanks for answering
It remains not reflected any errors. I read with IMPA and ISTAD and there is no error.
I think one temperature sensor fault and so I head cam sensor or crank, because they are the only ones who can stop the engine if it should fail
I hope someone can lead me to the solution. I do not want to change anything being ok

Gracias por contestar
No se queda reflejado ningún error. He leído con Impa y con IstaD y no hay ningún error.
Creo que algún sensor falla por temperatura y por eso me dirijo hacia los sensores de levas o del cigüeñal, por que son los únicos que pueden parar el motor si fallasen
Espero que alguien me pueda conducir a la solución. No quiero cambiar nada estando ok

Last edited by fran_rod; 10-29-2016 at 02:12 PM.