E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help! M54 electronic sound from engine draining battery. (Video)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 07:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

good deal, glad you got your problem solved
Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Great, thanks for posting the solution!
Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by MichaelGroth
SOLVED

It was a faulty IBS cable (the negative cable to the battery)

Part nr. 1 in this picture:

Turns out that the DEALER wich changed the battery on my car four years ago didn't reset the battery charge.
So the alternator was continuously charging the battery as if it was an old almost "flat" battery.
This caused the IBS cable to fail and the battery to discharge and die out.

The ECU didn't get the message to turn the idle control valve off. (Wich starts up and runs for 16 minutes after you unlock the car. Or continues to run for 16 minutes after you turn the car off after a drive).
In other words.. The engine would not go to sleep, as it did not get the message to do so.

Replaced the IBS cable and the battery. Everything is working fine now. The engine goes to sleep and the idle control valve shuts off after 16 minutes (Like it should).

Thanks to all of you for the input and help.

Did you have to go to the dealer to figure this out?
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Did you mean "Register the battery", and did they register the new battery, and for how much?
I knew there was a need for this "battery registration", and it involves the car charging adaptation (new vs old batteries).

Originally Posted by MichaelGroth
SOLVED

It was a faulty IBS cable (the negative cable to the battery)

Part nr. 1 in this picture:

Turns out that the DEALER wich changed the battery on my car four years ago didn't reset the battery charge...
Old 09-02-2012, 12:32 PM
Members

@pradden
I went to a sertified BMW mechanic, simply because I didn't have access to the BMW diagnostics equipment. And it pushed out the IBS fault code.
We also checked the info for the last time the battery was changed, and the diagnostics said it was never changed!
I have a 2004 E60, and I know that I changed it four years ago. So the answer was pretty clear to what had happened. The dealer wich changed the battery for me four years ago, forgot to reset it.

@Rizbel
Originally Posted by Rizbel
Did you mean "Register the battery", and did they register the new battery, and for how much?
I knew there was a need for this "battery registration", and it involves the car charging adaptation (new vs old batteries).
-Yes that is Correct. And yes we did register the new battery.
The dealer made this mistake on me, but I have read about people changing their battery DIY without registering it afterwords.
I would recommend to everyone who decides to do a DIY battery change to register the new battery afterwords, as one could end up with a faulty IBS cable. Or even worse - a worn out alternator!

The parts set me back around $200 for the cable and another $300 because I decided to go with a new OEM battery.

Sorry I do not know the price for resetting the battery, as my mechanic (wich is a friend of mine) did it for free.

-Michael
Old 09-01-2015, 08:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60

I got the same problem now.
The Disa is buzzing all the time.
I change the ibs cable today with a used one and register the battery but the problem still there.

now I get confuse, is new cable also fault or the problem is not this cable. each time I diagnosis the car it give me 13 error code. most of them is (CAN low Error) & (K LOW CAN error).

any idea