E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP! - IDrive says "Tyre Punctured"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard about the computer being too sensitive about the wheel pressure.
The tyres doesn't seem to be punctured, even though it's difficult to know with run flats.

What do I do?

Will there be a difference in feel and response if one wheels is running on the run flat?

Thanks

Claus
Old 04-06-2005, 04:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BeMyWife' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:17 PM
The tyres doesn't seem to be punctured, even though it's difficult to know with run flats.

What do I do?

Will there be a difference in feel and response if one wheels is running on the run flat?

Thanks

Claus
[snapback]112184[/snapback]
If you're driving, you will know in very short order if you have a flat. You'll feel it and hear it so don't worry.

If you are certain you don't have a flat (ie. wait a few hours and look again), with the car completely stopped you can:

1) Push the iDrive button for the main menu
2) select Vehicle Setting
3) select FTM (Flat Tire Monitor)
4) select set pressure

That will re-initialize the FTM. If it happens everyday over and over again you may have to have your dealer back off on the sensivity.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Time to invest in a pressure gauge.... That is the sure way to tell. I seem to recall folks getting the warning but feeling no change in handling so they thought it was a false alarm, only to find the tire was indeed punctured. That being said, while I don't runflats, it is the same flat tire monitor and I've never had it go off, false alarm or not.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Apr 6 2005, 06:45 PM
Time to invest in a pressure gauge....? That is the sure way to tell.? I seem to recall folks getting the warning but feeling no change in handling so they thought it was a false alarm, only to find the tire was indeed punctured.? That being said, while I don't runflats, it is the same flat tire monitor and I've never had it go off, false alarm or not.
[snapback]112214[/snapback]
I totally agree.
The alert came up twice on my car. I did a visual check and the tires looked OK. then I used a pressure gauge and found the one that was punctured, one time it was a nail and the other time it was a screw. Tires where patched, everything worked OK. Now I really trust that FTM sensor.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:38 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 535d sport saloon M57 Titanium silver nav-pro, bluetooth, media pack, de-chromed, eletric sun roof, auto dim int, folding ext mirrors, auto dim int mirror, sport seats, alum cube interior trim, headlamp washers, bi Xenon, M-sport suspention, M steering wheel, M Aerodynamic bodystyling, M styling wheels, Black leather, Anthacite heading

Originally Posted by BeMyWife' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:17 PM

What do I do?

Thanks

Claus
I wish BMW would of programed the computer to say which tyre was damaged it would be reassuring. My last punchture took me for ever to find.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Apr 7 2005, 04:38 AM
I wish BMW would of programed the computer to say which tyre was damaged it would be reassuring. My last punchture took me for ever to find.
At least which axle???
Old 04-07-2005, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

You might have a nail/screw/object stuck in one of the tyres. A manual check of each wheel is required.

Took me about 2 minutes to find the object stuck between the tread when this happened to me.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:25 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by Sans' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:42 PM
If you're driving, you will know in very short order if you have a flat.? You'll feel it and hear it so don't worry.
[snapback]112213[/snapback]
If it's on one of your rear wheels you wont't feel a flat that very easy. I had a flat rear tire and I thought the wheel was unbalanced. When I checked the preasure at the gas station there was no preasure at all. The iDrive didn't notify me either...
Old 04-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by johno535' date='Apr 6 2005, 09:38 PM
[quote name='BeMyWife' date='Apr 6 2005, 07:17 PM']I've heard about the computer being too sensitive about the wheel pressure.

What do I do?

Thanks

Claus
[snapback]112278[/snapback]
[/quote]

Well, I agree that it would be nice...but frankly, when the ftm alerts, it doesn't hurt to check all pressures just to be sure. I'm guessing that's the reason BMW decided not to tell you which tire it was, as so few people ever check their pressures that they don't want to further discourage it.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I liked the suggestion of a pressure gauge. That takes all of 1 minute to figure out if you have low pressure and which tire has the problem.

Further, I have heard that the performance tire wear is highly increased with incorrect pressure. I am pretty good about my vehicle maintenance, but since the runflats don't show low pressure, I just sort of forgot about them. After 9k miles I decided to check them and they where all down about 3-5 lbs.

Quick Reply: HELP! - IDrive says "Tyre Punctured"