E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP!!! CAR WON'T START!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004

Changed the oil yesterday myself, everything OK, drove to the store to drop off old oil. Parked the car back in the garage (04' E60, 80,000 miles), didn't touch it for a day. Today, it won't start, I put the key in the ignition, depress the brake pedal, it doesn't even make a noise, not even an attempt to start, sometimes I get the message to depress the brake pedal to start, I do it, but still doesn't start.

I thought it was the battery, but it's not, as I tried jump starting the battery. It's not the alternator, cuz, if the alternator is bad, the car would start with the assissting vehicle, but it didn't.

Surprisingly, I don't have any error messages in the iDrive. Checked the fuses, seem to be ok. I know there's a switch in the brake pedal that tells when the pedal is depressed so the car would start. My best guess is that it's the switch, my buddy had a similar problem on some japanese car. However, in his sutiation, the car wouldn't even move into other gears, like neutral, reverse, drive. My car does move gears, but doesn't even make an attempt to start.

I'm stuck driving my wife's humongous Q7 until I figure this shit out. If someone had a similar experience, please share...otherwise I'll probably have to cash out some major $$$ to the mechanic, when it could be a simple fix.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

Hmmm it sounds like the car thinks its in gear, there is a reset procedure for your car but i dont know it as i drive a manual!! if i where you i would put the car in park, then remove the battery negative off the battery for 5 mins then replace and try again!!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Members

thanx, but that didn't help, stil trying bunch of things..if anyone had a similar experience, please let me know.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

if you turn the key, nothing comes on? no dash light, radio? headlight?

check battery connection maybe? or dead battery.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my e60 2004 530i,

It is the engine starter!

to make sure just take piece of metal and kick the starter while someone turning the car on. If the engine start, then ----> It is the STARTER!

Hope this will help
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hatemax' post='1024793' date='Oct 5 2009, 01:37 AM
I have the same problem with my e60 2004 530i,

It is the engine starter!

to make sure just take piece of metal and kick the starter while someone turning the car on. If the engine start, then ----> It is the STARTER!

Hope this will help

Yes, all the electronics turn on, fan, radio, windows, all power components work, battery and alternator are fine. You mean take a piece of metal, like a wrench, and hit the starter hard while someone turning the car on?

Where can I find out the part number for the starter? Where did you buy yours? I'm doing a search on Bavarian Autosport for a "starter" and nothing is coming up. Over at Auto Parts Deal, I get remanufactured starters for like $100-$125. I wonder what could make the starter go dead...

Hatemax, so you you replaced the starter and it solved the problem? How much did the starter cost you? Is this a DIY-type project?
Old 10-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by motopokep' post='1024880' date='Oct 5 2009, 07:53 AM
Yes, all the electronics turn on, fan, radio, windows, all power components work, battery and alternator are fine. You mean take a piece of metal, like a wrench, and hit the starter hard while someone turning the car on?

Where can I find out the part number for the starter? Where did you buy yours? I'm doing a search on Bavarian Autosport for a "starter" and nothing is coming up. Over at Auto Parts Deal, I get remanufactured starters for like $100-$125. I wonder what could make the starter go dead...

Hatemax, so you you replaced the starter and it solved the problem? How much did the starter cost you? Is this a DIY-type project?

Starter on many cars is a DIY situation, except for Northstar. Starter on that engine is under intake manifold. You will need a length of 2 X 4 to lift the intake manifold to replace the Northstar starter.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='1025389' date='Oct 5 2009, 06:34 PM
Starter on many cars is a DIY situation, except for Northstar. Starter on that engine is under intake manifold. You will need a length of 2 X 4 to lift the intake manifold to replace the Northstar starter.

Hmm..prolly sound dumb, but confused, what's a Northstar? I did a search for a Northstar starter and it shows me Cadillac Northstar.

I don't understand...

Where is the starter located in the e60? What does it look like? If I can get to it, I can replace it.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Sorry for late response!

Starter part no. is 12417515390
I bought it from UAE, Dubai ----> 730AED ==> $199 for new OEM part

Unfortunately, due to business trip I did not replace the starter until now

However, my brother is using my car and he is hitting the starter almost everyday when the car is cold (some time it works w/o hitting) and it is working
Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by motopokep' post='1025437' date='Oct 5 2009, 09:19 PM
Hmm..prolly sound dumb, but confused, what's a Northstar? I did a search for a Northstar starter and it shows me Cadillac Northstar.

I don't understand...

Where is the starter located in the e60? What does it look like? If I can get to it, I can replace it.
That's exactly what it is. The Northstar is the Cadillac engine and the starter is buried right in the middle of it.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! CAR WON'T START!!!!