E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Help, A/C no longer blowin cold.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I went out today for a drive and realized my A/c is no longer blowing cold air. This time of year in Sacramento it is a must have. Any idea's on cost to re-charge an A/C on an '04 530i? The car has 132k on it, i'm the original owner and have never had an issue with it before.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by diverep
So I went out today for a drive and realized my A/c is no longer blowing cold air. This time of year in Sacramento it is a must have. Any idea's on cost to re-charge an A/C on an '04 530i? The car has 132k on it, i'm the original owner and have never had an issue with it before.
did you check to make sure the ac belt is intact?
Old 07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Mine is at the shop right now for that issue. Dropped it off this morning.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F10 M5
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by diverep
I wouldn't take it to a dealer. Take it to an independent shop and have them recharge the system. I paid $80 for my other ride.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

new compressor cost me $800 at the dealer.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i | Silver-Grey- A08 | Premium - Sport Package | Adaptive Headlights | Logic 7 w/ CD Changer | Bluetooth | Park Distance Control | Xenon Headlights | Comfort Access [s]Sprint Booster V1[/s] | K&N filter - Stock Box w/ Charcoal Filter Removed | Clear Side LED Markers | Matte Black Grilles | RPI Air Scoop | RPI 550i GT Exhaust | 12" Kicker w/ AMP | Headlight Euro Overlays | ACS Rep Roof\Trunk Spoilers |MTEC V2 Angel Eyes | 6000k HID Fog Lights | 19" VMR v710 Stag Wheels | Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 Tires | Debadged | LED Courtesy Door Lamps | Sprint Booster V2 | Painted Calipers | M pedals\shift knob | HID License Plate Bulbs | R1 Drilled\Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPS Brakes| ACS replica front lip |

Will cost me $50 for CPO deductible. SA said it's probably the compressor.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

1) check the belt. If belt is ok continue to 2

2) Go buy this at wal-mart or autozone or whatever you have.

http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/195354?$prod$

3) Open hood, start car and put AC to full blast.

4) Locate both outlets. Unscrew the low side (smaller I believe). The Can's gauge will only fit one of the outlets anyway.

5) Measure and fill to about 35 while engine is running.

6) If this works, enjoy. If not continue to 7

7) watch to see if the gauge fluctates. Apparently there is no clutch on these compressors. But if so, the compressor is working. If it is staying in the "blue" (full) you most likely have a compressor issue.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
Will cost me $50 for CPO deductible. SA said it's probably the compressor.
And we all know that SA's are full of B.S., They're trained monkeys. With an SA, you need to be a man and take control of the situation and lead them in the right direction otherwise you'll get raped on issues and prices. Even in the BMW TIS they're told word for word how to combat our "common complaints"........I skip the "advisors" and ask to speak directly to the technician. A middle man leaves more room for error when you give the symptoms and thus you recieve the wrong "fix"....OR a bunch of "fixes" and you'll pay for their learning curve. It's ridiculous, that's why I'll invest in my own tools and fix my own vehicles.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Contributors

They ordered a new compressor. Should be in tomorrow. I will pay my deductible only once - that's for sure. If they don't fix it, it will be back until they do.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KREED_550i
They ordered a new compressor. Should be in tomorrow. I will pay my deductible only once - that's for sure. If they don't fix it, it will be back until they do.
With this extreme Fl heat my AC was blowing warm air, took it to dealer yesterday. The AC was working fine, however the auxi elect fan in front of engine was not going on, This was found to be the problem after 3hrs of diagnosing by techs. The new parts are coming from JAX tomorrow, we'll see if it works. I have a 2011 328 to drive until repairs made (covered under warranty).

BTW took vehicle in for rough running (tried MAF cleaning first) it was faulty coil.

Hope this is helpful.

Quick Reply: Help, A/C no longer blowin cold.