E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP: Blower Fan Is Wiggin' Out

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Final stage resistor. most definitely. Was common on E39 and E46. Just replaced an E39 a few days ago. PITA...not as bad as an E60 I hear. On E60 its not too common either.

And yes it's underneath the dash
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=64&fg=40&hl=5

#2 on chart

BUT in my first BMW I had the issue. I bought part and while guy was in the back a BMW tech came out and i told him and asked advice he said to take out the fuse for a few min and reseat it. I paid $100 for part, walked out the door, did what he said and it worked flawlessly for the next 3 yrs. lol. I returned the part a few min later
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Final stage resistor. most definitely. Was common on E39 and E46. Just replaced an E39 a few days ago. PITA...not as bad as an E60 I hear. On E60 its not too common either.

And yes it's underneath the dash
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...=64&fg=40&hl=5

#2 on chart

BUT in my first BMW I had the issue. I bought part and while guy was in the back a BMW tech came out and i told him and asked advice he said to take out the fuse for a few min and reseat it. I paid $100 for part, walked out the door, did what he said and it worked flawlessly for the next 3 yrs. lol. I returned the part a few min later
It was also a problem with my old e53 and a BIG ditto on it being a PITA to replace.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
It was also a problem with my old e53 and a BIG ditto on it being a PITA to replace.
Yea E53 similar to E46 and E39. Just as E60 and E90 is similar. At least those models were a bit easier. Just remove glovebox and a few other panels. The E60 you have to remove the CCC/MASK and mess around in there but that will fix the issue.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Originally Posted by donpb
My indy mechanic said check the fuse but he didn't know that it blows some of the time.
To anyone I may have confused: The fuse doesn't blow. I meant the blower fan blows air.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:10 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

To anyone I may have confused: The fuse doesn't blow. I meant the blower fan blows air.

Have there been any update with your issue?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gee_115
Have there been any update with your issue?
I haven't decided what I am going to do. My first inclination would be to change the resistor/regulator myself.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Actually my blower wines, loud annoying humming occurs. Can it be the blower itself?
Old 07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

I've already given you the answer to this issue. 100% guranteed without a doubt. sheesh people.

Originally Posted by Shlooky
Actually my blower wines, loud annoying humming occurs. Can it be the blower itself?
Could be the blower but this is the first sign of the final stage unit (or whatever BMW wants to call it now) going out. Just wait until it stops. When this happened to me on another car, it would squeal/wine at a lower speed and go away when turned up. after a while when I put on low fan speed it would only blow at high. Anwyay good luck people
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

I haven't decided what I am going to do. My first inclination would be to change the resistor/regulator myself.
You should try autozone first, see if you can get a code, they read codes for free. The code won't Be BMW specific but it should point you in the general direction. Or, get a dealer diagnosis even if you have to pay, it would still just be a fraction of what it would cost for them to replace the unit. It is a big job you don't want to start if you are not sure what the problem is. To give you an idea you have to remove the glove box, both footwell covers, both left and right front footwell air ducts, CCC along with the frame and also Center arm rest. Not trying to scare you just trying to help. If you do decide to proceed there is a DIY on here, just do a search or just post and i'll help as much as I can.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Gee_115
You should try autozone first, see if you can get a code, they read codes for free. The code won't Be BMW specific but it should point you in the general direction. Or, get a dealer diagnosis even if you have to pay, it would still just be a fraction of what it would cost for them to replace the unit. It is a big job you don't want to start if you are not sure what the problem is. To give you an idea you have to remove the glove box, both footwell covers, both left and right front footwell air ducts, CCC along with the frame and also Center arm rest. Not trying to scare you just trying to help. If you do decide to proceed there is a DIY on here, just do a search or just post and i'll help as much as I can.
I have my own code reader. There are no codes logged. I bet the dealer computer can read it but they already said it sounds like the blower regulator.

Naw, you are not scaring me. I appreciate the insight. I need to know what it entails to make a decision if I want to tackle it myself or not. I have learned from situations where if it is going to take you forever and a day to DIY, might as well pay a mechanic. Its a lot cheaper time wise to do that. With reasonable stuff, hell yeah I would DIY in a heart beat.

Quick Reply: HELP: Blower Fan Is Wiggin' Out