E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 6 speed

OK, I need help. Following the posts on vibrations at low rpms, I did the experiment of revving the car. It shudders at low rpms. BUT, if I give it a lot of gas quickly and the engine revs up (to 4000 - 5000 rpms), the entire car shakes from left to right and the engine moves in its mounts. If I let go of the gas, the same thing, the car shakes (I can feel the engine move) 2-3 times upon revving down. Can anyone try this and let me know if this is normal (I want to have some verification before I go to my dealer again...).
Old 01-17-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Well I dont have my car right now so I cant really try. I will be picking it up tomorrow... and believe me I need to do that same test myself to see if my problem is fixed (*over filled engine oil causing a shudder at 1100 rpms*) So I'll let you know.

BUT I have reved my engine in the past and I can tell you it doesnt shake like that. It was smooth almost as smooth as silk. I did that one test of using a cup of water in a plastic cup and just slowly reved the engine and all it did was make little ripples on top of the water.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='225630' date='Jan 17 2006, 05:08 PM
OK, I need help. Following the posts on vibrations at low rpms, I did the experiment of revving the car. It shudders at low rpms. BUT, if I give it a lot of gas quickly and the engine revs up (to 4000 - 5000 rpms), the entire car shakes from left to right and the engine moves in its mounts. If I let go of the gas, the same thing, the car shakes (I can feel the engine move) 2-3 times upon revving down. Can anyone try this and let me know if this is normal (I want to have some verification before I go to my dealer again...).
I've tried this before too, but the engine is very smooth and does not move the car from side to side. This was when it had 2500 miles. Now, on my old 5.0 Mustang, it did what you describe. Then again, it was an American car with 60K+ miles on it.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Thanks. I just tried again and the damn thing shakes like crazy when I rev it fast. Maybe this is the origin of all my problems????? I always said something feels loose somewehre.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

something loose should not cause the shaking -
shaking is usually related to a poorly balanced engine - or a problem with the engine - like something is not firing correctly

it is normal for a V engine 6,8, or 12 to shake a little at low rpm's, but if everything is working correctly giving it gas usually makes it run smoother

I have an inline 6 in my car - but I do not think there should be that much shaking in an engine the quality of BMW's

just my opinion
Old 01-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Senior Members

Not normal IMO.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by drjochen' post='225630' date='Jan 17 2006, 03:08 PM
A broken engine mount can cause/allow significant motion of the engine as you describe...
Old 01-18-2006, 08:13 AM
Members

I notice the same problem!!

When i start the car (occationally) it just shake the car. No one can imagine...it is like you are driving a tractor. Then I stop wait a minute or two, start engine and everything is normal. Once it shows a yellow engine and i imediatelly call a service. They said when the yellow sign is on no driving. Stop the car wait and try again. They said it is a mistace on engine (egnition or something) The four strokes is not working normal.??

Now i have regular service end of january (two weeks waiting period) and i hope they will repair the mistake on the engine.

I hope you already drove your car on the service.. what did they said??
Old 01-18-2006, 09:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

How cold is it? A cold engine requires a very rich mixture initially, but it is also limited to keep emissions low. The ECU will adjust the fuel/air ratio significantly as the engine warms up. It also is working to warm up the catalytic convertor to minimize emissions as soon as possible. All this adds up to a few minutes of potentially rough running at various temperatures below normal operating temperature. If it does not occur at normal operating temperature, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by gwf545' post='225989' date='Jan 18 2006, 01:07 PM
How cold is it? A cold engine requires a very rich mixture initially, but it is also limited to keep emissions low. The ECU will adjust the fuel/air ratio significantly as the engine warms up. It also is working to warm up the catalytic convertor to minimize emissions as soon as possible. All this adds up to a few minutes of potentially rough running at various temperatures below normal operating temperature. If it does not occur at normal operating temperature, I wouldn't worry about it.
I did this last night after ~ 30 min of I-95 driving. The outside T was ~ 45F.