E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Hello All

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a 535d Touring with an expanding familly I think it's a great car that would suit all needs.

I have a question I hope some 535d owners will be able to answer. I know in 2007 the car was updated with more power but whats the story with the gear selector? I thought all post 07 cars had the newer stile selector with the black insert and what looks like a button on it, but when I look at later 08 or 09 cars they still have the old selector.

Second question when braking then suddenly trying to pull away such as approaching a roundabout then trying to slip in to a gap in traffic, is there any delay/lag where nothing happens then the car takes off? something I experienced in my 56 X5 and Discovery TDV6 which both had the ZF teansmission I think 6 series owners also had the issue I remember reading when researching the problem.

Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2010, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

I don't own a 535d, but may be able to help a bit.

All LCI from 03/2007 models have the new electronic shifter joystick, no exception. If you see a model with the old shifter, something doesn't add up in my opinion (fake model year). The new electronic shifter is supposedly better when shifting gears manually - shorter delay.

I had a 330d M57 which is still very similar to most nowadays diesels (still used in E60 520d, 525d and probably more) and haven't experienced any specific lag you're describing. All diesels have a small turbo lag, but with the automatic transmission, I've found out that the petrol engine is lagging as well. But not the engine itself - it's because it takes a half of the second for the transmission to understand what you're up to. Still, the torque is so massive, that I can't really say I've ever thought of a turbo lag. It just pushes you so hard immediately, feeling the G-power instantly which most petrol cars struggle to deliver.

However the new 535d LCI has two turbochargers. One smaller and one bigger one. When taking off, small turbo is used, and the big one kicks off later. There should be no turbo lag on 535d and with its brutal torque higher than in most Ferraris, I don't think there's anything to worry about. It's a crazy beast.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 AM
Members

I'm still looking at some 09/08 535d that are BMW approved and they still don't have the new joystick. Was it an option?
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 2005 530d MSport. Media Package. Cream leather heated seats. Falkens.

I have the "old" pre-LCI car. 530d.
With the old gearshift.
When I am slowing to a junction, roundabout, etc, the car doesn't know what I'm doing, so doesn't downshift fast enough, so when I put down the power, I'm in second, not first.
It creates a lag, followed by a bit of a jolt due to the downshift and planted power!
This is a pain in the arse, and the main reason I'd love the new joystick!
If I think I need a quicker response, I pop it over to DS.

Probably no help to you, but may be the same thing you were experiencing.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Members

Thanks knockin shop thats pretty much what I was experirncing in the X5 and Disco. So whats the deal with the new gearstick? why doesn't it appear in post 07 cars. I've double checked in the AT and still see late cars 09 with the old style shifter.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by dazzpowder
Thanks knockin shop thats pretty much what I was experirncing in the X5 and Disco. So whats the deal with the new gearstick? why doesn't it appear in post 07 cars. I've double checked in the AT and still see late cars 09 with the old style shifter.
That shouldn't be possible, sorry. For LCI'ers it is the steptronic joystick or the SAT auto-handle.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

Originally Posted by dazzpowder
Are you sure you know what the new shifter looks like because the electronic shifter SAT (sports automatic transmission)it been fitted into all 535d's since March 07 build date.

https://5series.net/forums/index.php...ttach_id=72157
Old 10-05-2010, 02:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport / Carbon Black Metallic / Aluminium cube / black leather sports seats / Prof. SatNav / Bluetooth.

Try the auto gearshift reset as this will remove the 'learned' behaviour of the gearbox and set it back to standard.

Mike