E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Core crack on new E60 -- anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 03:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I took my E60 in for a SW upgrade and also told them that I was smelling something like engine-coolant once in a while. Well they checked into that and it turns out there was a "crack" in the heater core.

They got to the heater coe and informed me that it looks like one of the pipes was kinked at manufacturing time -- has anyone else had this problem or am I just the unlucky person that has to go through this?

The reason I say go through this is because it's an involved job to get to the heater core (remove the dash, etc.) and takes 4 days at the shop . Plus, now I'm worried the interior is never going to be the same since they had to take it all apart and put it back together :'( I better not be hearing any noises after this

Anyhow, has anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-18-2004, 03:24 PM
JDN
Contributors

You are the first that I have seen with the problem. Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Damn! I remember taking out the heater core in my 77 camaro. I figured the BMW engineers would have figured a way to stow it completely under the hood.
Good luck!
Old 08-18-2004, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hello. (First post here). I noticed an anti-freeze smell today actually. Thought I had smelled it before on a few occasions. Never thought it could be me. I'll have to check into it.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Welcome aboard!
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

Welcome to the forum. Inspect their reinstallation of your dash and the rest of your car for any scratches/dirt, etc before you take it off the lot.

You'll probably find something that needs fixing/cleaning/adjusting just as I do.

Now I wipe my entire ride down before I leave the lot just so I can inspect the body/rims/interior. I've had the dealer clean a lot of areas that the techs/service reps overlook.

Sorry to hear of your problems but that's what we get for first year model cars.
Old 08-18-2004, 06:58 PM
JDN
Contributors

Gee, I hope we don't have an antifreeze epidemic starting here.

realtyman, looks like you have car specs I could live with very easily. Black and white is what I tried to change back to, but things had progressed too far in dingleville by that time. Welcome aboard.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hi JDN.

Went with the BMW "Flaps" after you posted a pic for me (on RF).
Keeps the car clean longer.

Thanks again!

Exhaust coming next week.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:29 PM
JDN
Contributors

Can you tell me about that exhaust? I never have been cured of loving the sound of a V8. Miss it terribly.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:43 PM
Contributors

I can tell you more about it next week (i.e. sound, fit, etc).

Ordered it direct from B&B (http://www.bbtriflo.com).

I don't know anyone who has one. Never actually heard it live.
They have a Quicktime vid on their site of an E-60 (I think it's a 530)
Good quality and nice sound, so I've heard... pardon the pun.

I too am a fan of the throaty V8 sound.
We'll see how it turns out.

Sometimes you just gotta wing-it and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Heater Core crack on new E60 -- anyone else?