E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heated steering, seat setting don't stick

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 05:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

This question has probably been asked before, but I did do a search and couldn't find anything...

Now that the weather is getting colder, I am using the steering wheel heater and seat warmers more. I've noticed that the heated steering and seat turns off when I switch off the car. I would imagine they would come back on after I started the car again, but no!If I switch it on, i would like to see it stay on.

BTW, the same goes for my rain sensing wipers. Resets after I turn the car off.

Anybody else having this? Has it been fixed in a newer version of the CIP??
Old 11-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Members

The wipers are designed to go off each time - I think the manual even discusses that you must turn on the automatic feature each time.

I have found that if the car is stopped for less than about 15 minutes it remembers the steering wheel and seat heaters. Longer than that and it defaults to off.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

I am not so sure that I would want either of these two items to remain on all the time. Both the seat warmers and heated steering wheel are items that one would not use every time they get into the car, so to me it makes sense to turn them on when you need them given variable weather conditions and whether or not one parks their car in a garage overnight or during the day while at work.

Also why overwork the battery to power these items when they may not be required?

Also with both items I find myself turning them off once the desired warmth has been achieved, given that the heating sytem in the E60 works very well and maintains the proper ambiant temperature inside the cabin.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

In my opinion, it should work just as other memory settings in the car. I don't see why this would be different. If I want to turn it off, I can easily do that. I am not saying that these should remain on all the time, meaning that the seat and steering wheel should remain hot when the car is parked and off. I would like to see them turn on automatically next time I get in the car (since I left them in the on position when I shut the car down). No issue of battery drain.

The A/C Auto works in a similar way doesn't it - so why shouldn't these features??

Doesn't make sense.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i -Brilliant Graphite/Oyster 2006 E5004matic- I must have been on drugs when I got this car 2004 545i Black Sapphire/Truffle Brown interior

[quote name='JStraw' date='Nov 22 2005, 11:58 AM' post='202020']
In my opinion, it should work just as other memory settings in the car. I don't see why this would be different. If I want to turn it off, I can easily do that. I am not saying that these should remain on all the time, meaning that the seat and steering wheel should remain hot when the car is parked and off. I would like to see them turn on automatically next time I get in the car (since I left them in the on position when I shut the car down). No issue of battery drain.

The A/C Auto works in a similar way doesn't it - so why shouldn't these features??

Doesn't make sense.
[/quote

I on the contrary think it makes good sense. First off, the A/C stays on in most vehicles today because it has been proven that my leaving it off all winter it damages the A/C system, so most manufacturers program it to be left on, it also helps reduce humidity in the car and your windows don't fog up. With the A/c indicating on, it does not mean that the compressor is on, just the system. The A/C works on a thermostat, so even if your A/c light is on it only stands to reason that if the temperature in the car is colder than the A/C setting (which in winter it always is) , then the compressor will not turn on.

As far as heated seats and steering wheel go, there is no thermostat controlling this feature, so if the buttons are on, they stay on. So if the systems stays on and it is mild out, one would usually forget that it is on, only to be reminded once their rear & hands start to get very hot and then it would be common to say Holy S_ _t and turn it off. I don't know about your car but in my car even at a minimum setting both the seat and backrest heat up pretty quickly, the steering wheel only has one setting and this also get's warm very quickly.

Common sense dictates that if one is cold, one turns on a heating device rather than having to turn an automatic one off after one starts to fry. Just my perspective.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

BTW, the same goes for my rain sensing wipers. Resets after I turn the car off.
What about driving through the car wash?
Old 01-23-2006, 03:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='201754' date='Nov 22 2005, 02:47 AM
I've noticed that the heated steering and seat turns off when I switch off the car. I would imagine they would come back on after I started the car again, but no!If I switch it on, i would like to see it stay on.
I agree. When getting into a cold car, maybe first thing in the morning, I have enough to think about, reversing out of the garage etc, without switching on heated seats and steering wheel. If they were on before, I want them on now. Otherwise, by the time I've gone a few hundred yards, I've lost half the benefit.

If they come on and I don't want them on, I'll realise pretty quickly and switch them off. If they are thermostatic, as they should be, I won't get too hot in any case.

That's they way my Saab works and the way I'd like my BMW to work (am about to order).

Question How quickly do the seat and wheel heaters work? If not very quickly, they have limited benefit.

And are the seat heaters thermostatic? I leave the Saab seat heaters on setting 1 all winter. If it's cold, they heat me up, and I never have to remember to swicth them off (a bit like setting the a/c temperature and selecting automatic). Someone told me the BMW seat heaters, even on setting 1, have to be switched off manually after a few minutes or you cook.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by Bubblehead' post='201761' date='Nov 21 2005, 10:11 PM
The wipers are designed to go off each time - I think the manual even discusses that you must turn on the automatic feature each time.

I have found that if the car is stopped for less than about 15 minutes it remembers the steering wheel and seat heaters. Longer than that and it defaults to off.

I TOTALY CONFIRM THIS even on CIP 12.3
Old 01-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='228204' date='Jan 23 2006, 02:39 PM
[...]

Question How quickly do the seat and wheel heaters work? If not very quickly, they have limited benefit.

And are the seat heaters thermostatic? I leave the Saab seat heaters on setting 1 all winter. If it's cold, they heat me up, and I never have to remember to swicth them off (a bit like setting the a/c temperature and selecting automatic). Someone told me the BMW seat heaters, even on setting 1, have to be switched off manually after a few minutes or you cook.
Seats are warming up so you can feel something in under 1 minute. Max 2. Then in 3-4 minutes are at full temp. For me setting 3 (max) is way too much. If it's really cold I can leave 2 (intermediate) on a bit longer, then switch to 1 (min). Even so, I will turn it off after temp in car is comfortable.

My wife, can stay with 3 all day long.

Old 01-23-2006, 05:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='228206' date='Jan 23 2006, 12:49 PM
Seats are warming up so you can feel something in under 1 minute. Max 2. Then in 3-4 minutes are at full temp. For me setting 3 (max) is way too much. If it's really cold I can leave 2 (intermediate) on a bit longer, then switch to 1 (min). Even so, I will turn it off after temp in car is comfortable.

My wife, can stay with 3 all day long.
Thanks, big ipaq - your wife and mine have something in common!

Quick Reply: Heated steering, seat setting don't stick