E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heated steeering wheel in M sport package?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i learned from the canadian bmw website that the M sport packge does not have 'heated steering wheel'. what a shame.

i love the look of the M sport, but i also adore the heated steering wheel, which is very comfortable in winter.
can someone please confirm? is it because the M steering wheel cannot fit the heating elements?
apart from stitching and logo, they look the same though.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Contributors

correct, you cannot get a heated steering wheel if you order the M wheel...they are both about the same thickness... the M has the interior contour by the 10 & 2 positions, while the heated wheel gives the pleasure of such, which i wouldnt trade for stitching and a logo!....i guess if they made the M wheel heated it would be too thick and uncomfortable in your hands, im sure they must have tried and something didnt work or look right as there is no other reason why it shouldnt be heated
Old 03-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

does that mean the M5 also doesnt have the heated steering wheel?

* i just learned the M never has the heated wheel.
that is sad to leave it out, we live in cold weather you know.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi Silver Grey over Black Dakota with Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort, NAV, Logic 7, Sirius, 18" 123s. Current: 2006 Lexus GX 470 2005 SLK 350 No Longer With Us: BMW 330xi; Mini Cooper S; Infiniti FX45; every Audi imaginable; various others

I hope that the M steering wheel you are referring to is not the same as the "sport" steering wheel that is now coming with the Sport Package on the 530xi. I have ordered the cold weather package and was assured by my salesman that even the new sport wheel can be heated with the cold weather package. He has been wrong before though!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by A2 BMW' post='262222' date='Mar 29 2006, 08:04 PM
I hope that the M steering wheel you are referring to is not the same as the "sport" steering wheel that is now coming with the Sport Package on the 530xi. I have ordered the cold weather package and was assured by my salesman that even the new sport wheel can be heated with the cold weather package. He has been wrong before though!

They are different, my sport steering wheel is heated and i adore it.
The M steering wheel looks similar to the sport with an additional M logo, M stitching and larger grip at 10 & 2 o'clock.
Old 03-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by rollee' post='262312' date='Mar 30 2006, 12:58 AM
They are different, my sport steering wheel is heated and i adore it.
The M steering wheel looks similar to the sport with an additional M logo, M stitching and larger grip at 10 & 2 o'clock.
Hey, at least you CAN get the M steering wheel up there!
Yet another thing that's not available in the US, grrr...
Old 03-29-2006, 10:06 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

The M sport package in the UK does not list heated steering wheel as an option.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by m630' post='262203' date='Mar 30 2006, 01:58 AM
i guess if they made the M wheel heated it would be too thick and uncomfortable in your hands, im sure they must have tried and something didnt work or look right as there is no other reason why it shouldnt be heated
that's not correct. BMW just doesn't want to combine sportmanship and comfort. that's the only reason why you cannot order a heated M steering wheel

now my question:
my dad has also the M-package and he REALLY misses the heated steering wheel. he had it in his E39 and was very happy about it. is there and possibility to retrofit the heated steering wheel in his E60? maybe by replacing it by the normal sport wheel? is it possible?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

'that's not correct. BMW just doesn't want to combine sportmanship and comfort. that's the only reason why you cannot order a heated M steering wheel'

If the above is right then we wouldn't be able to order comfort seats with the M Pack - and I have !
Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 2006 525d Steptronic, Carbon Black, M Sport-Package, Style 135M Rims, Beige Interior, Dark Poplar Wood Trim, Comfort Seats, Professional Navigation with BMW Online and BMW Assist, HUD, Logic7, TV, Bluetooth, Speech Control, Active Steering, Adaptive Bi-Xenon, 6-Disc Changer, Heated Seats (front and back), Extended Climate, PDC, Sunroof, Auto-Dim. Int + Folding Exterior Mirrors, Electric Rear- and Side Blinds, Foldable rear seats, Electric Adjustable Steering Wheel

Originally Posted by Boxsterfeet' post='262399' date='Mar 30 2006, 02:21 PM
'that's not correct. BMW just doesn't want to combine sportmanship and comfort. that's the only reason why you cannot order a heated M steering wheel'
If the above is right then we wouldn't be able to order comfort seats with the M Pack - and I have !

you're right. but not completely. comfort seats have adjustable cheeks on the side and beside the seatarea they're half comfort and half sporty.

Quick Reply: Heated steeering wheel in M sport package?