E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that cool weather has begun, I've been using my heated seat from time to time. All in all it is really fantastic and fast. However, it sure seems to me that the seat BACK is mush warmer than the seat BOTTOM. In fact, even after checking the controls for the ratio adjustment of the 2 parts in iDrive, it seems the same no matter how much higher I make the seat BOTTOM in the adjustment. It almost seems like my seat BOTTOM is not making much heat at all.

Has anyone else had any impressions like that with seat heating in their ride?
Old 10-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='Oct 27 2004, 08:53 PM
Now that cool weather has begun, I've been using my heated seat from time to time. All in all it is really fantastic and fast. However, it sure seems to me that the seat BACK is mush warmer than the seat BOTTOM. In fact, even after checking the controls for the ratio adjustment of the 2 parts in iDrive, it seems the same no matter how much higher I make the seat BOTTOM in the adjustment. It almost seems like my seat BOTTOM is not making much heat at all.

Has anyone else had any impressions like that with seat heating in their ride?
[snapback]50106[/snapback]
Hmm.. No it works fine for me. My wife and I have been using it for the last month or so.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Senior Members

Just a check - the red is the heated part - the white the non-heated. I heat my backrest not the seat and it works fine.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Oct 27 2004, 10:57 PM
Just a check - the red is the heated part - the white the non-heated.? I heat my backrest not the seat and it works fine.
[snapback]50128[/snapback]
wolverine, thanks. I was trying to make sure that I realized that color coding, so I did try it both ways, and in reality it seemed like it didn't matter what color was associated with either part, there seems like no differnce.

I think I need to try sitting in the passenger seat and try it as well. Maybe the heating portion is not functioning only in the driver's seat. The other thing I'll try is to activate it without sitting in the driver's seat, but to place my hand on it after it is on for a few minutes to check it more carefully and compare the 2 areas with my hand.

Maybe there is a loose harness for the heater???
Old 10-27-2004, 09:26 PM
Senior Members

i remember we have another member (sorry, forgot who :'()mentioned the heated seat is so hot that burnt his pants . you might want to do a search and see what his dealer did to his seat.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:43 PM
Members

Wow?
Old 10-28-2004, 12:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by rabih11' date='Oct 28 2004, 08:43 AM
I have had the same problem.? Im taking it into the dealer next week. My backrest heat sensors in the seat burned my lower left side waist the other day. I was going to post on this, but I didnt want to look like a fool.... Ive used heated seats before. But the ones in my E60 are unusual... Im worried about the leather now. The dealer better replace the seat. Its got a circular burn on the leather now. It looks like a ciggarette burn.? Even the leather on my seat began to fade and smudge off onto my shirt.
[snapback]50234[/snapback]
Oh my gosh!!! Sounds like a potential fire hazard. For sure time to visit the old dealer again and again and again....
Old 10-28-2004, 02:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Thermal inertia is an issue here.

Anyone experiencing slow heating of the bottom seat section. You'll probably find that the problem is an excessively large "mass" on the seat bottom. This absorbs the heat generated by the seat heater, and therefore slows down the temperature rise.

gdavis, am I right in saying that you don't have comfort seats, and you're also "US sized".

Try having someone with a "small mass" test the seat heaters. I think you'll find that's the problem.

"comfort seats" is an option specifically designed for the US market. They include larger heater elements specifically for this ergonomic problem. Anyone with comfort seats have this problem?

This might sound like a joke, but it is quite serious. MB and BMW have researched their markets carefully. Hence the active seat ventillation, peforated leather, etc.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BangleBox_530d' date='Oct 28 2004, 06:09 AM
Thermal inertia is an issue here.

Anyone experiencing slow heating of the bottom seat section. You'll probably find that the problem is an excessively large "mass" on the seat bottom. This absorbs the heat generated by the seat heater, and therefore slows down the temperature rise.

gdavis, am I right in saying that you don't have comfort seats, and you're also "US sized".?

Try having someone with a "small mass" test the seat heaters. I think you'll find that's the problem.

"comfort seats" is an option specifically designed for the US market. They include larger heater elements specifically for this ergonomic problem. Anyone with comfort seats have this problem?

This might sound like a joke, but it is quite serious. MB and BMW have researched their markets carefully. Hence the active seat ventillation, peforated leather, etc.
[snapback]50240[/snapback]
BangleBox,
I am 180 lbs/82 kilos, and 6'/1.83meters tall and go to the gym 6 days a week. I have a very small mass on the seat. But, I have sport seats.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Sorry, that was a windup. Apologies for my "humour".

Quick Reply: Heated Seats