E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heated seat almost burned through leather

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 07:03 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i
Default Heated seat almost burned through leather

My 2004 530i with 81k miles has developed a faulty heated drivers lower seat. I started smelling something burning and a looked down at my seat after getting out of the car to find brown marks on my Dakota Beige seat! The dealer told me to call BMWNA. I did on Friday. They documented all that happened and said they would submit this for review and I would hear a response within 1-3 business days. I hope they help me out even though my car is way out of warranty. Doing some research I guess this has happened to many people and they have replaced some and others they have denied. We'll see! Think my chances are good??
Old 02-28-2015, 07:24 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Have a look here:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=04V575000
Old 02-28-2015, 11:33 AM
New Members

Thanks for the link.. My car had that recall performed back in 05 for the back of the seat. This however is for the lower seat cushion. Same issue though!!
Old 03-03-2015, 08:22 AM
New Members

Got a call back from BMWNA today. They want me to take the car to any BMW dealer of my choice to get an estimate for the repairs to my drivers seat. I guess I'll have to pay for an hour of labor but it seems like they seem willing to help me out with this situation but to what extent I guess I'll have to find out after the dealer looks at it.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:41 PM
New Members

The dealership is not charging me to check out the seat. Pleasant surprise!
Old 03-10-2015, 03:24 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Interesting to see what happens here as I had seem issue a year ago and dealer, nor BMWNA declined to do anything as they had already done the recall fix before and it covered only the back of the seat heater not the side of the bottom seat( a load of crap I said to them)......I even filed a complained with Canada Transport but am still burning the seat. I have also learned a "workaround " by only turning the heater on for a short time and turn it off before it start to burn thru the leather..
Pls keep us posted on your outcome with this
Thanks
Old 03-12-2015, 10:36 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Interesting to see what happens here as I had seem issue a year ago and dealer, nor BMWNA declined to do anything as they had already done the recall fix before and it covered only the back of the seat heater not the side of the bottom seat( a load of crap I said to them)......I even filed a complained with Canada Transport but am still burning the seat. I have also learned a "workaround " by only turning the heater on for a short time and turn it off before it start to burn thru the leather..
Pls keep us posted on your outcome with this
Thanks
Well just heard from BMWNA. As it stands right now they are offering to pay for half the cost but we're still negotiating. I referenced them this post from the BMMCCA forum where a guy with the same car and year as mine got his 100% paid for. We'll see if they will improve their offer. https://www.bmwcca.org/forum/index.php?threads/2004-530i-heated-seat-fire.9474/
Old 03-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

That is typical and most people would take that offer. I would not though. It does not do any good showing them what they did for others because their situation will be different (i.e car not as old, less miles, damage was might have been worse). I would look at it as nothing because if the only reason you want me to give my money away to fix an 11 year old car is because I did it for someone else then it is not that important to you. That is what you would call adolescent tactics. You have to treat situations as an adult to get the "required" solution (meaning there is no other solution that is acceptable). Put emphasis on how dangerous it is and the lives it can potentially take. Make them realize the danger. I am not saying your tactics will not work but if I want BMW "a $83 billion company" to pay for something they do not have a recall on I would make sure they know their companies negligence and the outcome that can potentially come from it.

I have successfully had a starter, head light assemblies and altenator replaced for free out of warranty due to BMW incompetence.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 03-12-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
That is typical and most people would take that offer. I would not though. It does not do any good showing them what they did for others because their situation will be different (i.e car not as old, less miles, damage was might have been worse). I would look at it as nothing because if the only reason you want me to give my money away to fix an 11 year old car is because I did it for someone else then it is not that important to you. That is what you would call adolescent tactics. You have to treat situations as an adult to get the "required" solution (meaning there is no other solution that is acceptable). Put emphasis on how dangerous it is and the lives it can potentially take. Make them realize the danger. I am not saying your tactics will not work but if I want BMW "a $725 billion company" to pay for something they do not have a recall on I would make sure they know their companies negligence and the outcome that can potentially come from it.

I have successfully had a starter, head light assemblies and altenator replaced for free out of warranty due to BMW incompetence.
Thanks for the advice. Only reason I referenced that other situation was because the car and Miles were very close to mine. I did mention that it is as safety issue that could lead to some very serious injury if not fixed. I'll keep the outcome updated
Old 03-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Thanks for understanding my post I did not know how it would come off to you when you read it. I was just trying to give you what the corporation mind set will be. I hope that it works out for you and post the results. Remember do not give up the fight. The only thing you have to loose is paying "1/2" for it so all you have is gain to win!! It is not like your car is sitting at the dealership and you can not drive it so keep at it.

Quick Reply: Heated seat almost burned through leather