E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 01:54 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M54
Model Year: 525i 2004
Default Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?

Hi guys, although I am thinking this could not be a problem, but then again I am not sure about it. I have two questions and it maybe related to radiator coolant, not sure. So, please read a little background to understand what I did, and hopefully nothing wrong. I was trying to fix the faulty Auxillary water pump on my E60 M54 2004 model which was faulty. In the process I drained the old coolant out from engine block (PITA to reach the drain plug) and the radiator. Fresh coolant from Febi Bilstein (BMW OEM) was filled at 50% concentrate. After venting and refilling, I only filled 7.75L into the system.

Question 1: Bentley manual says 10.5L if the engine block is drained, so is the manual wrong or is something wrong with my E60?

Continuing on with second question, well the engine is behaving as normal sitting on 93F when it is on normal temperate and the coolant seems to be doing its job. Here in Australia, it is winter season (South Sydney) with early morning temperatures shown as 12-13 (feels colder). When I start and drive the car for first 5-10 minutes, whenever I stop the vehicle I see vapor smoke from the front grill like what you will blow from your mouth in cold weather.

Question 2: I don't see any other car giving out vapours from the hood, its seems only on mine. Upon smelling, I dont' smell any oil or anything. Is there something else that could be wrong or does this has to do with only taking 7.75L coolant?

P.S. Coolant used was from Febi Bilstein, supposedly the OEM supplier to BMW which is re-badged by BMW.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

I don't think the manual would be wrong. I do know there is a bleeding process for the e60 coolant system. It is posted around the forums and a youtube or two. As far as the "vapors", it is normal for the e60's under certain temp and humidity conditions. From my research on it basically it runs hot enough to boil off exterior condensation.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Mate,

My Bentley manual says 10L for auto trans. If this is correct you are 2.25 L off, which is still significant. You might have a little some coolant in hoses but I wouldn't think that much.

Your mixing ratio may also have been off a little (used more water than you think you did), but again 2.25 L is a lot to make up. Did you measure what you got out of the system? Always a good idea to measure what comes out so you have an idea of what to put back in.

Try bleeding the system again and see if you pickup any space. If the expansion tank reads full and you are not having any overheating issue after bleeding the system again I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Hey Mate,

My Bentley manual says 10L for auto trans. If this is correct you are 2.25 L off, which is still significant. You might have a little some coolant in hoses but I wouldn't think that much.

Your mixing ratio may also have been off a little (used more water than you think you did), but again 2.25 L is a lot to make up. Did you measure what you got out of the system? Always a good idea to measure what comes out so you have an idea of what to put back in.

Try bleeding the system again and see if you pickup any space. If the expansion tank reads full and you are not having any overheating issue after bleeding the system again I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks Mate, can you confirm if the following bleeding method is correct according to the manual?
Before filling the liquid, start ignition (not run the engine) and put the air on low and temperature on maximum with no AC. Now fill to max, start the car and let it run for few minutes and then top up again if required. Close the coolant expansion tank lid.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kskane
Thanks Mate, can you confirm if the following bleeding method is correct according to the manual?
Before filling the liquid, start ignition (not run the engine) and put the air on low and temperature on maximum with no AC. Now fill to max, start the car and let it run for few minutes and then top up again if required. Close the coolant expansion tank lid.
Also turn seat heaters on full before beginning to fill with ignition on (with engine off).
Like you said - Fill, then after filling, start engine and run about 1 minute. Then top off again and put cap on expansion tank.
Then let the engine run up to normal operating temperature with the cap still on the expansion tank.
Turn off engine and let it cool completely.
Check and top off expansion tank again.

In reference to your question about steam from the front end-
If you had the car last winter and didn't see the same thing you might have a slight leak. If you haven't been through a winter yet it might be normal condensation on the radiator or engine burning off.

When you see the steam stop the car and run your hand around the radiator and other parts to see if you can feel any coolant from a slow leak (you may have to leave the front splash pan off for a few days so you can feel from underneath).

Mine had a very slow leak after I changed out my water pump and it was a hairline crack in that cursed vent tube. I pulled out the piece of crap plastic tube they used and replaced it with copper.

Cheers

Last edited by BimmerFan52; 06-29-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-30-2013, 03:18 AM
Members

Also turn seat heaters on full before beginning to fill with ignition on (with engine off).
Like you said - Fill, then after filling, start engine and run about 1 minute. Then top off again and put cap on expansion tank.
Then let the engine run up to normal operating temperature with the cap still on the expansion tank.
Turn off engine and let it cool completely.
Check and top off expansion tank again.

In reference to your question about steam from the front end-
If you had the car last winter and didn't see the same thing you might have a slight leak. If you haven't been through a winter yet it might be normal condensation on the radiator or engine burning off.

When you see the steam stop the car and run your hand around the radiator and other parts to see if you can feel any coolant from a slow leak (you may have to leave the front splash pan off for a few days so you can feel from underneath).

Mine had a very slow leak after I changed out my water pump and it was a hairline crack in that cursed vent tube. I pulled out the piece of crap plastic tube they used and replaced it with copper.

Cheers
Thanks Buddy, I don't have heated seats on mine. I vented the system couple of times now and it seems like 7.75L or lets say maybe 8L is the final. I guess since the engine is not heating up, I would leave it for now.

As for the vapors, yes I have had the car for a winter and cannot recollect how the car behaved last years as I never paid so much attention. I have double checked for leaks, cannot see anything.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Members

Thanks Buddy, I don't have heated seats on mine. I vented the system couple of times now and it seems like 7.75L or lets say maybe 8L is the final. I guess since the engine is not heating up, I would leave it for now.

As for the vapors, yes I have had the car for a winter and cannot recollect how the car behaved last years as I never paid so much attention. I have double checked for leaks, cannot see anything.
Okay, I inspected the leak today as over the past few days, I saw a big puddle of coolant leak from the car. When I changed the AUX water pump recently while doing the coolant change, there was spray of coolant originating from one of the pipe connector on the AUX water pump, so I re-fitted it and cleaned, will check again in few days.

But while I was venting the system again, I saw fresh drops of coolant on the two power steering pipes right under the serpentine belt. Also, the part of the wheel/pulley behind the serpentine below (below the water pump pulley) was wet from what seems like water/coolant. Does that mean the water pump is leaking? The thermostat housing was changed about 2 years ago and look in good condition and does not show any sign of leakage. Do water pumps leak from the front at all?
Old 07-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Okay, I inspected the leak today as over the past few days, I saw a big puddle of coolant leak from the car. When I changed the AUX water pump recently while doing the coolant change, there was spray of coolant originating from one of the pipe connector on the AUX water pump, so I re-fitted it and cleaned, will check again in few days.

But while I was venting the system again, I saw fresh drops of coolant on the two power steering pipes right under the serpentine belt. Also, the part of the wheel/pulley behind the serpentine below (below the water pump pulley) was wet from what seems like water/coolant. Does that mean the water pump is leaking? The thermostat housing was changed about 2 years ago and look in good condition and does not show any sign of leakage. Do water pumps leak from the front at all?
Hey Mate,

It could be the water pump leaking. Do you know the history of the water pump on your car? Have you changed it before? Given the mileage of your car I would say it is a safe bet that it has been changed before, even if you haven't.

Some of the pumps have weep holes that will let coolant out of the water pump housing once the internals seals begin to leak, (sort of an early warning system). You also want to go with a metal impeller type if it needs to be replaced.

Air (vacuum) and coolant leaks can be frustrating to find. Keep the area as dry as you can and observe the engine running from above and below to see if you can follow the initial drops.

Good luck!
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM
Members

Hey Mate,

It could be the water pump leaking. Do you know the history of the water pump on your car? Have you changed it before? Given the mileage of your car I would say it is a safe bet that it has been changed before, even if you haven't.

Some of the pumps have weep holes that will let coolant out of the water pump housing once the internals seals begin to leak, (sort of an early warning system). You also want to go with a metal impeller type if it needs to be replaced.

Air (vacuum) and coolant leaks can be frustrating to find. Keep the area as dry as you can and observe the engine running from above and below to see if you can follow the initial drops.

Good luck!
Thanks mate, checked the car on sunday and I was so when I found out both thermostat and the water pump were leaking after 4K of changing the coolant. The reason I was is because I just hate draining the engine block, due to its location and access to it. Its that one bolt that will make you remember whatever you trust and believe in. Anyway, bought new OEM water pump, pulley and thermostat. The new OEM pump has improved, they put a metal propeller now a days (Saleri), but they have removed the weeping hole (so I don't know what will happen if the internal seal breaks like my old one, may be this one will just blast off ). I didn't go for alloy pulley, stuck with plastic OEM.

Replaced the pump and thermostat, refilled again, and the beast is behaving for now until it gets hungry again (you know what I mean).
Old 07-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Members

Default Coolant Leak is haunting me, help if you can!

Hi Guys, I am really confused with the leak of my coolant. Over the past couple of months, I have replaced my AUX water pump, water pump, thermostat. After all the major leaks of coolant are fixed, and my coolant levels are not going down after one week, I checked under the hood today. I was very surprised. Before I go further, in order to understand the exact location of the problem, you will need to know I have an E60 with M54B25 engine.

So, when I looked, I could see very very fine droplets of white dots all over my engine air filter housing, all around the AUX water pump which sits under the engine air filter housing, all around the alternator pulley, in front of the intake manifold, and as far as the hose at the bottom of the expansion tank (some pics are attached). Since the coolant levels are stable, and the coolant droplets are like mist, it appears to be coming from the AUX water pump, but even those hoses just have drops of water. So, what I don't understand can the coolant really leak so slow and then get nearly sprayed all around by itself or is there something else wrong.
Attached Thumbnails Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?-img_20130730_125828.jpg   Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?-img_20130730_125851.jpg   Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?-p1050077.jpg  

Quick Reply: Heat Vapor - Related to Radiator?