E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Heads up Display

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 09:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got my car yesterday and was wondering where should the HUD be positioned when I'm viewing it. Mine looks around 5cm (1 1/2 inches) above the front of the car, which seems to be low (I'm 6' 2" tall) ... Where should it be?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='May 29 2005, 06:10 AM
Just got my car yesterday and was wondering where should the HUD be positioned when I'm viewing it.? Mine looks around 5cm (1 1/2 inches) above the front of the car, which seems to be low (I'm 6' 2" tall) ... Where should it be?
[snapback]134195[/snapback]

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2193
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2883

/Knubblo
Old 05-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

This is good information, but unless I missed it, it doesn't say how high the image should be on the HUD. Just wondering if my is too low?
Old 05-29-2005, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Knubblo,

you found that original post about my HUD from last summer! great search job.

It is supposed to be low, just above the edge of the front hood somewhat to allow you to see it hovering above the hood, but not in the way of viewing the car in front of you.

The biggest issue that is important is the angle of it to make it truely horizontal. I have found that if I sit tall (I am 6'2" also) then the display 'slopes' down toward one side, and if I slump down in the seat, the display angles the opposite way.

One has to be consistent in both height and left/right positioning of your body, and it looks great.

You could post a photo and we could compare if it is like our HUD, Canada545. PS CONGRATS on getting your car!!!!!!!!! it's a perfect time to year to drive a new baby!
Old 05-29-2005, 05:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='May 29 2005, 07:29 AM
This is good information, but unless I missed it, it doesn't say how high the image should be on the HUD.? Just wondering if my is too low?
[snapback]134239[/snapback]
It should be where u want it. I had mine adjusted to center between my high driving position and low driving position. Was a minor tweak but much improved and enjoy not having anything cut off on top or bottom.
Old 05-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='May 29 2005, 07:35 AM
Knubblo,

you found that original post about my HUD from last summer! great search job.

It is supposed to be low, just above the edge of the front hood somewhat to allow you to see it hovering above the hood, but not in the way of viewing the car in front of you.

The biggest issue that is important is the angle of it to make it truely horizontal. I have found that if I sit tall (I am 6'2" also) then the display 'slopes' down toward one side, and if I slump down in the seat, the display angles the opposite way.

One has to be consistent in both height and left/right positioning of your body, and it looks great.

You could post a photo and we could compare if it is like our HUD, Canada545. PS CONGRATS on getting your car!!!!!!!!! it's a perfect time to year to drive a new baby!
[snapback]134242[/snapback]
Thanks ... I too am 6'2" tall so I have been adjusting my seat of the car but I just wanted to make sure ...
Old 05-29-2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by gdavis' date='May 29 2005, 07:35 AM
The biggest issue that is important is the angle of it to make it truely horizontal. I have found that if I sit tall (I am 6'2" also) then the display 'slopes' down toward one side, and if I slump down in the seat, the display angles the opposite way.....One has to be consistent in both height and left/right positioning of your body, and it looks great.
I am also 6' 2" and I have HUD. For me, I get the best results, no slight slope to either side, when I sit upright with my torso centered on the steering wheel. Also I get the best results by taking my wallet out of my hip pocket which is conducive to sitting upright and is more comfortable.

HUD is utterly awesome. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by pharding' date='May 29 2005, 08:15 PM
[quote name='gdavis' date='May 29 2005, 07:35 AM']The biggest issue that is important is the angle of it to make it truely horizontal. I have found that if I sit tall (I am 6'2" also) then the display 'slopes' down toward one side, and if I slump down in the seat, the display angles the opposite way.....One has to be consistent in both height and left/right positioning of your body, and it looks great.
I am also 6' 2" and I have HUD. For me, I get the best results, no slight slope to either side, when I sit upright with my torso centered on the steering wheel. Also I get the best results by taking my wallet out of my hip pocket which is conducive to sitting upright and is more comfortable.

HUD is utterly awesome. I highly recommend it.
[snapback]134384[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree, but wish they'd put turn signal indicators on it and RPM when in manual mode (steptronic)
Old 05-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

[/quote]

I agree, but wish they'd put turn signal indicators on it and RPM when in manual mode (steptronic)
[snapback]134413[/snapback]
[/quote]

Hmm.. I have to say that with the sport sterring wheel option and my comfortable seating position I just cannot see the upper part of the dial binnacle and so having the turn signal in the HUD would be a great feature...

Otherwise I think HUD is the coolest option I had fitted to my ride - and it was a complete afterthought!
Old 05-30-2005, 04:02 AM
JDN
Contributors

I have the same problem with seeing the turn signal indicators, Andy. I have to either have the wheel in a less than optimum position or move my head. I never thought about how convenient it would have been to have two small arrows in HUD. HUD really needs an expanded menu. I often lose count of my SMG gear shifting. So many choices each of us could make if we had the options. Corn for the goose isn't necessarily corn for the gander.