E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I tried just sanding and buffing but the plastic will oxidize again.

I don't think I bothered to polish mine. I sanded and and sanded finer grits unit I stopped at 1500 or 2000 and then I sprayed a clear over it. Let the clear harden and then if the clear needs buffing I do that to the clear. Try it. Mine lasted a year so far. If you bugger up just sand and start over. What happens is the protective clear coat wears thin then the plastic oxidizes. If you just polish the plastic the lens will eventually oxide again.

I tried just sanding and buffing but the plastic will oxidize again. Plus it is less work not to have to buff out the plastic.

Just make sure when you sand you sand off ALL of the clear coat and the oxidation.

here is a picture of when I did it on the fogs.

One has just been wet sanded and the other was clear coated after the wet sand

Headlights-sanded-painted-fog.jpg
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by healthservices

I don't think I bothered to polish mine. I sanded and and sanded finer grits unit I stopped at 1500 or 2000 and then I sprayed a clear over it. Let the clear harden and then if the clear needs buffing I do that to the clear. Try it. Mine lasted a year so far. If you bugger up just sand and start over. What happens is the protective clear coat wears thin then the plastic oxidizes. If you just polish the plastic the lens will eventually oxide again.

I tried just sanding and buffing but the plastic will oxidize again. Plus it is less work not to have to buff out the plastic.

Just make sure when you sand you sand off ALL of the clear coat and the oxidation.

Attachment 124419
Wow, lol, how in the world did you finish it without polishing with a machine? I wet sanded up to 2200, and there was no way it was looking clear without polishing it.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i M54 2005 Alpine White Sport/Cold/Premiun Sound/Active Steering Navigation/PDC/sport seats/6 CD Changer

Originally Posted by healthservices

Attachment 124419

That looks awesome man!!

I was desperate so I couldn't wait the time it takes to order/shipment a polisher. So I went to Autozone and purchased the Mothers kit and used it. I polished the sh*** out of the headlight for 2 hours. Since I am not experienced with this it took me long to get it right. The first one took the the 2 hours and I still need to finish the edges, it started raining and it was night so I had to stop. The effort was worth the time, but now that I know about clear coat I might try it on the other side....thank you all for your help.

I will upload the before and after pics when I get a chance.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i M54 2005 Alpine White Sport/Cold/Premiun Sound/Active Steering Navigation/PDC/sport seats/6 CD Changer

before and after
Attached Thumbnails Headlights-2011-08-06-16.21.41.jpg   Headlights-bmwlights.jpeg  
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yah, that's how it should be after you polish it. Take the headlight out to do the edges if your polisher can't get to it (also to prevent damaging the paint).