E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight polishing

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw this banner ad here in the forum for Car-Taract. Has anyone tried this? Any feedback relating to it? Much appreciated.

http://www.headlights-restore.com/
Old 12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by diverep' post='1067218' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:38 PM
I just saw this banner ad here in the forum for Car-Taract. Has anyone tried this? Any feedback relating to it? Much appreciated.

I have never used it, but my head lights are not faded like that. What I use is 3m plastic cleaner and polish it comes in little bottles and is a cream. You can get it an most boating stores like West Marine. It gets out scratches and leaves a nice high gloss.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i

Originally Posted by diverep' post='1067218' date='Dec 3 2009, 03:38 PM

I highly highly recommend the 3M kit that is just under $20. You can purchase it at autozone/advanced auto parts. With this kit you actually use a drill to do the sanding (all parts included) which is what litterally grinds off the junk that makes your headlights yellow. Any of the 'use your hands' kits that come with a few pads and a solution are all horrible. They wont do much of anything.

GL!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
Members

+1 on the 3m kit. The coating on my lights faded and cracked after the car living most of its like in southern California. I picked up the 3M drill powered kit. It made my lights like new again.

NOTE: The kit will sand off most of the coating on the lights. This is what fails before the actually lens. So once the coating is destroyed, you use the 3m kit, you will have just exposed lense. So, frequent waxing and polshing will be required. Should have been done from day one to prevent this in the first place.

What I did was tape all around the lights a few inches with blue painters tape. In case I got out of hand with the drill. Another tip, no neccessary, but ofered peice of mind, was to have a trickle flow of water in the first few steps of polishing. This keep the lense cool and allowed me to really spend lots of time polishing. Keep in mind, just a trickle with the water. I had my wife control the hose. It would be good to train your co-worker on what a trickle means. LOL. My lenses came out looking brand new. At extream angles, you can see where the coating it still on the lense. But mostly it looks like a perfect lense.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mbp727' post='1067240' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:13 PM
I highly highly recommend the 3M kit that is just under $20. You can purchase it at autozone/advanced auto parts. With this kit you actually use a drill to do the sanding (all parts included) which is what litterally grinds off the junk that makes your headlights yellow. Any of the 'use your hands' kits that come with a few pads and a solution are all horrible. They wont do much of anything.

GL!

Thanks, I'll look for that kit.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jprovence' post='1067247' date='Dec 3 2009, 04:28 PM
+1 on the 3m kit. The coating on my lights faded and cracked after the car living most of its like in southern California. I picked up the 3M drill powered kit. It made my lights like new again.

NOTE: The kit will sand off most of the coating on the lights. This is what fails before the actually lens. So once the coating is destroyed, you use the 3m kit, you will have just exposed lense. So, frequent waxing and polshing will be required. Should have been done from day one to prevent this in the first place.

What I did was tape all around the lights a few inches with blue painters tape. In case I got out of hand with the drill. Another tip, no neccessary, but ofered peice of mind, was to have a trickle flow of water in the first few steps of polishing. This keep the lense cool and allowed me to really spend lots of time polishing. Keep in mind, just a trickle with the water. I had my wife control the hose. It would be good to train your co-worker on what a trickle means. LOL. My lenses came out looking brand new. At extream angles, you can see where the coating it still on the lense. But mostly it looks like a perfect lense.
I did the exact same thing! I made a DIY but can't find it Due to the shape of our headlights, there is going to be places where you can't operate the sander, ie. bottom corners closest to the kidney grilles. Other than that everything came out perfect. I'm the only one who can see the corner spot anyways
Old 12-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jprovence' post='1067247' date='Dec 3 2009, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Here is mbp's DIY.
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=83593&hl=
Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1067273' date='Dec 3 2009, 04:53 PM
Marc you are an angel.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

has anybody done this long ago, to get some long term feedback as to how the finish holds up?

Quick Reply: Headlight polishing