E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight points down and away

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012 | 03:42 PM
New Members

Hi All-

I've been searching and searching for something on this topic. Forgive me if this has been beaten to death. I've got an '04 530i. The little green LED light next to the selector switch for the headlights is blinking. I know that it indicates a malfunction. When starting the car, in adaptive mode (auto), the headlights will do their up and down but most of the time the Passenger side will then point down and to the right (away). If it actually does point straight ahead (about 40% of the time) the headlights do not move while driving. If I turn the headlights on manually, it may point down too, that is hard to confirm because I have to wait until it returns to the normal position. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you in advance!
Old 03-29-2012 | 03:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Sorry I can't help you. However, your issue has been brought up before and the general census is that you have to take it to the dealer (or independent) to get repaired. Either the motor is out or just needs recalibrating or both.
Old 03-29-2012 | 07:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Leatherneck1
Hi All-

I've been searching and searching for something on this topic. Forgive me if this has been beaten to death. I've got an '04 530i. The little green LED light next to the selector switch for the headlights is blinking. I know that it indicates a malfunction. When starting the car, in adaptive mode (auto), the headlights will do their up and down but most of the time the Passenger side will then point down and to the right (away). If it actually does point straight ahead (about 40% of the time) the headlights do not move while driving. If I turn the headlights on manually, it may point down too, that is hard to confirm because I have to wait until it returns to the normal position. Does anyone have a solution? Thank you in advance!
Its possible the control module (stepper motor controller)is going bad. If you have someone to code it you could just buy a new or used one and install it yourself. I bought a brand new one off ebay for $60 I may have gotten lucky. This is the part number for what my car needed #63127189312, not sure if its the same for you.