E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight not working again need opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically my issue has been going on ever since I started using the HID angel eyes, now I'm not saying that it has anything to do with the problem but I thought I would mention it. Two months ago my driver side headlight stopped working, I took the bulb out and tested it in the passenger side headlight and it worked. So obviously the problem had to do with the headlight module and not the bulb, I took my vehicle into BMW under warranty and had the module replaced. Around two-three weeks later the headlight went out again, again I tested the same bulb and it was not the bulb. Took it into BMW and had the headlight module replaced again about a month ago. Now the last few days the headlight AGAIN went out, lol...
So basically what I'm trying to figure out are a few things, could it possibly be something with the HID angel eye that is causing this? Could it possibly be the aftermarket HID headlight bulb that is causing this? If either were the case then why only the driver side. Could it be a short somewhere in the headlight wiring itself that is causing this?
Lastly my vehicle is no longer under warranty, and I've heard these modules can cost up to $600, so am I pretty much screwed or does BMW have any type of warranty for parts. I don't mind paying out of pocket to get it replaced again if so, but obviously I need to try to troubleshoot somehow to figure out why this keeps happening over and over again, something BMW obviously couldn't figure out after two-three attempts.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

It depends on the part. I think a lot of the parts have 1 year warranty on them.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
It depends on the part. I think a lot of the parts have 1 year warranty on them.
Well that is some what reassuring, I'll call them tomorrow and ask a SA then, still need to somehow find out why it keeps happening over and over again.