E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Headlight lens removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Received 99 Likes on 95 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

If you've watched the videos, once you've removed the headlight assemblies, it's relatively easy. It sounds like you're trying to adjust the bulb without removing the assembly completely.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

That second video is the same one I watched awhile back when I ended up scuffing up my front bumper. Use blue painter's tape, FTW.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

I had the same thing happen. It's the cornering light lens (not the angel eye) and, unfortunately, it's pretty much impossible to reattach. Believe me, I tried everything short of cutting off the headlight cover. I ended up buying a new OEM (Hella) passenger-side headlight assembly from Rock Auto for $650, but since yours appears to be the driver's side, it costs about $730. If you go that route, you'll need to swap over the Xenon bulb and a few parts but it's very easy to do.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 528I E60
Model Year: 2009

Thank you so much for clearing that up. I guess I was misleading in my description. We have just about come to the conclusion to have to purchase a new one. Rock Auto is the one place I haven't checked. But if we buy a new one, then why do we have to swap over the Xenon bulb and other parts? Seems like it defeats the whole purpose of buying a new one if you have to order more parts to swap over. Thank you again for you help.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Piwackit
Thank you so much for clearing that up. I guess I was misleading in my description. We have just about come to the conclusion to have to purchase a new one. Rock Auto is the one place I haven't checked. But if we buy a new one, then why do we have to swap over the Xenon bulb and other parts? Seems like it defeats the whole purpose of buying a new one if you have to order more parts to swap over. Thank you again for you help.
I'm guessing because you're buying the headlight assembly. The bulbs are not included. It's kinda like when you buy a drill. The drill bits are separate.

To DanL: I don't understand why you had to buy a whole light assembly. If you had the thing out, why didn't you just replace the cornering bulb?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:48 AM
New Members

The bulb isn't the issue. The bulb is good and still works. It's the assembly that the bulb is connected to. It's kinda like a light bulb still connected to the socket, but the socket is hanging from the celing. We can do the half/quarter turn to remove the bulb, but the assembly is still hanging loose.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Can it be glued or epoxied? What I'm saying is, I'd do everything I could to prevent having to shell out the $700 for a new headlight assembly, but if it's shot, it's shot. I'd also try junkyards to see if you can get a used one.
The following users liked this post:
donpb (08-01-2020)
Old 08-01-2020, 11:21 AM
New Members

Yes sir, that's what we were thinking. We could glue/epoxy it somehow. And believe me the last thing we want to do is shell out $700+ for a new light assembly. According to DanL it's almost impossible to reach. So guess I'll look at some salvage yards before buying a new one. Then I'll check out Auto Rock. But I did take my car to get inspected and registered. Much to my surprise...It passed. So guess we're good for another year. Lol
Old 08-01-2020, 02:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Piwackit
The Xenon bulb, ballast, and adaptive headlight control module needs to be transferred over from your existing headlight but it's very straight-forward and can be done in minutes. They don't come with the new headlight assembly. But the other bulbs (cornering light, angel eyes, etc.) are all pre-installed.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by JayArras
I'm guessing because you're buying the headlight assembly. The bulbs are not included. It's kinda like when you buy a drill. The drill bits are separate.

To DanL: I don't understand why you had to buy a whole light assembly. If you had the thing out, why didn't you just replace the cornering bulb?
It's not the bulb, it's the cornering light projector lens. There is no direct access to the lens. You have to work through tiny opening around the reflector or the bulb opening itself. Here are some photos showing what a nightmare it is (yes, I kept my old headlight assembly in case I needed parts someday).

Quick Reply: Headlight lens removal