E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

headlight knob question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

My headlamp control knob was nearly flush with the dash so I pulled it out. I want to put it back in but I cannot figure out how to do this. What's the trick?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Um, why did you pull it out?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Just knock it in hard... it not "suppose" to be in... normally its its suppose to stick out but its your preference.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by EBMCS03
Just knock it in hard... it not "suppose" to be in... normally its its suppose to stick out but its your preference.
Lawlz, there wasn't a single part of that sentence that wasn't dirtay... Lmao! Did you honestly think someone was going to let that slip unnoticed?

OP, I believe that is a safety feature...just leave it out. (lol)
Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 AM
Members

My Ride: My Bimmer's info is in my sig, so I'll tell you about my garage toy. It's a 1997 Porsche Boxster. The car is black on black and I have replaced every single thing on the car (interior, exterior, drivetrain, suspension) except for the sheet metal and the convertible top (both of which will be next I guess). I love my Pcar more than any other car I have ever owned and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. Porsche. There is no substitute.

Originally Posted by pjinca
Um, why did you pull it out?
On all my other German cars, if you pull out the headlamp knob and turn it right or left you can light up one side of the parking lamps for use on dark roads where you are parking. On my Porsche, pulling the knob out also turns on the rear fog lamps.

I hate to force it back into the dash because it does not seem to want to move back easily.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Krozi
Lawlz, there wasn't a single part of that sentence that wasn't dirtay... Lmao! Did you honestly think someone was going to let that slip unnoticed?

OP, I believe that is a safety feature...just leave it out. (lol)
lol well get your mind out of the gutter

To the OP, right, it's "suppose" to stay out that's why. It gives and goes in if your knee hits it during a crash. Softens the blow. It's been talked about if you don't believe me. Run a search here.

All other German cars have rear fogs too most function as fog lights, Merceds and Porsche but BMW is different.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Contributors

Oh ya let me correct myself. In US BMWs usually don't come with rear fogs.

And for the alley night parking indicator, it's activated by the blinker stalk after you park.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2000 540i/6: Silver
Model Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Parson
On all my other German cars, if you pull out the headlamp knob and turn it right or left you can light up one side of the parking lamps for use on dark roads where you are parking. On my Porsche, pulling the knob out also turns on the rear fog lamps.

I hate to force it back into the dash because it does not seem to want to move back easily.
by your other german car, do you mean mercedes?
my sl is just like that, pull out for fog lights.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Originally Posted by Parson
OK, this is probably a stupid question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.ch
My headlamp control knob was nearly flush with the dash so I pulled it out. I want to put it back in but I cannot figure out how to do this. What's the trick?
On my E60, I use my headlight switch often, since I don't like the auto mode. I don't want to Xenon to come on when I start my car in the garage. I pull the switch out and leave it out.

On my E90 that is driven by other family members, it is left in Auto mode and the switch is pushed in and not used.

To push the switch in, just wiggle it gently while pushing it in and it will slide back into the dash. In the depressed mode, the switch can still be operated, just harder for bigger or gloved fingers to grasp.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Members

I had to really push hard on the knob, but it recessed the way it was when I bought the car... I like it recessed.

Fronjoni, my other German car is a 1997 Boxster. If you're interested, you can learn more about it and how I bought it here: www.iwantaporsche.net

The "why I started this web site" is actually quite humorous.

Quick Reply: headlight knob question