E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

headlamp H3 problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can any one help me with my problem please???
My BMW E60 520d 2008 UK model, have xenon on low beam and hi beam.
I use H8 for angel ayes and in front of it I have a smole h3 lamp - that I observe is working sometimes only one side for few second and then.. finish... I have to restart the engine to see it again..
can you help me with this?? is possible to be the LKM - light Kontrol Module?? where is that .. and what shall I do..
Thanks.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

You're referring to the corner light? The small inner bulb. It only comes on when you put your car in reverse, and also the matching side when you're turning at slow speed.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
You're referring to the corner light? The small inner bulb. It only comes on when you put your car in reverse, and also the matching side when you're turning at slow speed.
yes I refer to the inside - inner - lights on the head lamp
1 - turning signal
2 - low and hi beam - I think is bi xenon
3 - a place where I sow only few times on .. but now I can not see it ... in same place I put 2 bulbs - H8-for the angel and H3 wich sopose to see it in front of the car

my problem is with #3 H3 and not H8.
The angel eyes is fine

I've put today my wife to put in reverse.. but it not comming on at all. No error on dash board or Idrive
any other sugestion??
please
Old 09-03-2011, 05:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

I am not really sure which lamp you are talking about, but i noticed when replacing the angel eye lamp in one of the headlights on my car that the heat from the lamps had caused the wiring insulation to become brittle and flake off. I had to carefully apply electrical tape to ensure the wires would not touch each other and short out. Maybe that is what has happened to your headlight assembly and the LKM is turning the lamp off as a safety precaution against a short circuit. I would think you would get a lamp out warning in cluster.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Yah, you're going to have to get the dealer to replace the cornering light's bulb unless you want to cut open your headlights. I don't really see how it's possible replacing the bulb without taking the headlights apart.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Members

Yah, you're going to have to get the dealer to replace the cornering light's bulb unless you want to cut open your headlights. I don't really see how it's possible replacing the bulb without taking the headlights apart.
is not the bulb.. and is verry easy to replace the bulb.. you do not have to take the headlamp down... for this.. to replace the H8 (the light for the angel eyes)is a round black cover that you have to turn it like a screw, and is open.

About the h3 bulb, on the headlamp is a smole round black cover on top of the headlamp that you hace to turn it just 1cm an under it you will see the h3 bulb. You have to press down the metal thing that cover the bulb and also it fix it to stay fix and not to move... just press it down and move it a litle bit forword... and it will come up. just take the h3 wire - DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB - and drag it out... and same way you can put a new bulb there...
my problem is that I can not see the h3 working... when it have to work?? I wish to see it working...
Thanks
Andrew
Old 09-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by arsinte_andrei
is not the bulb.. and is verry easy to replace the bulb.. you do not have to take the headlamp down... for this.. to replace the H8 (the light for the angel eyes)is a round black cover that you have to turn it like a screw, and is open.

About the h3 bulb, on the headlamp is a smole round black cover on top of the headlamp that you hace to turn it just 1cm an under it you will see the h3 bulb. You have to press down the metal thing that cover the bulb and also it fix it to stay fix and not to move... just press it down and move it a litle bit forword... and it will come up. just take the h3 wire - DO NOT TOUCH THE BULB - and drag it out... and same way you can put a new bulb there...
my problem is that I can not see the h3 working... when it have to work?? I wish to see it working...
Thanks
Andrew

Ahh! So that's what that hole is for? All this time I have always wondered when I worked on the headlights. Now that makes sense, lol. From what you said in your first post, it's working as it should -- refer to post #2.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Members

Ahh! So that's what that hole is for? All this time I have always wondered when I worked on the headlights. Now that makes sense, lol. From what you said in your first post, it's working as it should -- refer to post #2.
I saw it working once.. and until then I've been thinking that there is only the H8 for the angel eyes. But after that I've found that there is also an H3 that is sometimes on.. but when?? because I've see it only 2 or 3 times... and that was all...
So.. when the inner lamp will be on??? he H3???
Thanks
Andrew
Old 09-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Contributors

Dude, read what I wrote. If you don't get it still, read it again. Repeat as necessary.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:49 AM
Members

Dude, read what I wrote. If you don't get it still, read it again. Repeat as necessary.
yes.. you are right...
Today, I've been to close to other car and I turn right hard. when I turn right I saw that the right inner lamp - that is with h3 it come on...
again.. I've put my wife at home to turn the wheel and I saw that they are working...
Soo... is done.. no problem at all... but I wish to have them allwise on if possible... but that's it.
Thanks for your advice..
and by the way.. do you know any posibility to open the headlamp??
wish to clean it inside.. but it have some sort of silicone at the edge and I can not see any way to open it... any advice??
thaks

Quick Reply: headlamp H3 problem