E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

head lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 09:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Feb 27 2005, 04:23 PM
[quote name='markt540i' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:42 PM']each time you turn the lights on.
[snapback]94999[/snapback]
Not totally true. When I was at the E60 meet in Singapore 2 weeks ago. I saw the headlight move up and down when the car was started. No lights were switched on at that time. So I think it happens on startup- Obviously you won't see it happen during the day when the lights are not on.
I guess this makes sense because if you're actually driving and switch on the lights when moving you won't witness the lights going up and down. You only see them move on starting up.
[snapback]95037[/snapback]
[/quote]

I never thought headlights actually moving without lights on.. thanks for good info.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 27 2005, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure it's required by law for all HID cars to have self-levelers.? If it's not a law now, it should be.? This is why I hate all the aftermarket "HID" bulbs that people slap into their non-HID type cars.? The bulbs are brighter but the car is designed to "spray" the light in a pattern based on the output of the stock bulbs.?

Often times it's the 16 year-old kid who is blinding everyone with his "HID" lights because his car isn't smart enough to know what to do with the replacement bulbs.? I've never felt that a properly designed HID system was blinding, just brighter (and blue).? The worst part about all this is that the average Joe assumes that everyone with the blue lights is blinding him.? I've had situations where once I pass a person, they'll beam me as if to say "your lights are too bright."? There's no way I'm buying that.? I've been infront of BMWs and I've had BMWs approach me with HID lights.? Never have I felt that they were a problem.? As a matter of fact, I've had more of a problem with SUVs and cars with poorly aimed lights.

Just my two cents...

(Yeah, I know, foglights are blinding too! )
[snapback]95140[/snapback]
I guess all different by states.. each states has it's own local laws..
for virginia, it's not require by the law yet..
Old 02-28-2005, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 28 2005, 05:04 AM
I'm not sure it's required by law for all HID cars to have self-levelers.? If it's not a law now, it should be.
It's a law over here in Germany. Therefore all BMW's with xenon lights have this feature.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 27 2005, 10:04 PM
I've never felt that a properly designed HID system was blinding, just brighter (and blue).? The worst part about all this is that the average Joe assumes that everyone with the blue lights is blinding him.? I've had situations where once I pass a person, they'll beam me as if to say "your lights are too bright."? There's no way I'm buying that.? I've been infront of BMWs and I've had BMWs approach me with HID lights.? Never have I felt that they were a problem.? As a matter of fact, I've had more of a problem with SUVs and cars with poorly aimed lights.

Just my two cents...

(Yeah, I know, foglights are blinding too! )
I agree totally. People see the color and sharp outlines of the focus, and assume it's annoying them. They associate all xenon lights with being blinded, even though it is not actually bothering them -- they would say "yet," but in fact properly focused and aimed xenons like ours are not a problem.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Yup, and you reminded me of something else -- the sharp outline of the focus sometimes makes it look like your "flashing" someone. For example, you come over the crest of a hill and for a second, the beams are shining into the person in front of you's mirror but then it sharply drops down. To that (inexperienced) driver, it looks like you just flashed him.

This sometimes happens under heavy acceleration if the headlight levelers can't keep up with the way the car gets light in the front. I noticed this more in the E39 -- I think they improved the levelers on the E60...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Anybody ever drive a car with Xenons into France? You must get flashed by every car on the road. A few years ago, we drove our Canadian Spec car there (halogens at the time) and got flashed annoyingly often both because of the DRLs and also because they thought the low beems were too bright at night. Eventually, I got so frustrated that I took the attitude "you want to see bright lights, check out these" and switched on the high beams.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

I think in the cities in France, they don't use headlights at all except to signal (flash) other drivers. I imagine if that's the case, they'd get pretty pissed at someone who has their low-beams on...then again, it's France...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

are xenons standard on the e60. went to frane last week didnt have a problem with our cousins. i love driving in france as they have some of the best roads in the world
Old 02-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Xenons are optional on the E60 here in the US. If they're optional here, they're most likely optional everywhere else...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Originally Posted by tonye60' date='Feb 28 2005, 02:30 PM
are xenons standard on the e60. went to frane last week didnt have a problem with our cousins. i love driving in france as they have some of the best roads in the world
[snapback]95330[/snapback]
Agreed, we took some great backroads and we enjoyed our time in France. I just couldn't understand why everyone was flashing me. People must drive from Germany etc. into France all the time so how could they not be used to cars with DRL or lights brighter than those yellow things they have. Or do they just flash every chance they get?

Quick Reply: head lights