E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Head Light Washers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Mar 8 2005, 11:40 AM
[quote name='vern' date='Mar 8 2005, 10:02 AM']How can I check to see if the Head Light Washers are working?The manual says that when the lighting system is switched on,the headlamps are cleaned at regular and appropriate intervals.I have never sean any signs of fluid or dirt being moved around the head lights.TIA
vern
[snapback]98587[/snapback]
Yes believe me if you have them you will know when they operate! However could it be that you don't have them and where the hinged jets are situated you have body coloured blanks. I have never seen an E60 without them but then as I suggested they could be just covers, afterall in the UK they are an option on every model - maybe standard on 545i!

Anyone care to comment?
[snapback]98644[/snapback]
[/quote]
I have the Cold Weather Package so they shouldn't be blanks.(I hope)
vern
Old 03-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 10 535ix Graphite/Oyster, sport pkg, steptronic, nav, cold weather, prem I &II, conv pkg 08 535ix Saph Blk/Blk,sport pkg, steptronic, nav, sat, cold weather 07 X3 Blk Saph/Blk, prem,cold weather, xenon, nav 05 545i Orient Blu/Blk, anthracite, prem, sport, stptronic, nav, sat, comfort seats, cold weather, prem sound. 02 540it Grn/Grey, premium,sport pkg, cold weather, premium sound 99 528it Cashmere/beige, premium, cold weather

C'mon guys, you know these headlight washers are automaticaly activated immediately following the car washing or waxing!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Originally Posted by jksanford' date='Mar 8 2005, 11:42 AM
I think they are only a part of the cold weather package here in the US.? I can't believe I didn't get that package... I just overlooked it when I was at the dealership.? Once you have heated seats, it's tough to get used to NOT having heated seats.

James
[snapback]98645[/snapback]
So do you have blanking pieces or is there just nothing there?
Old 03-08-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

Can someone post a picture with headlight wash system?

Thanks!
Serge.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

when I first used my headlight washers, I was surprised to see so much spray coming up onto the hood and the windshield, so I asked the dealer if they could check to make certain that they were working properly.

He told me that they'd charge me to look at them, even if they just sat in the car and activated them and said that they were working fine.

I just wanted to confirm that this was the correct function, but the guy was a real jerk about it and laughed as if I was 'The Stupid Customer'. :'( <_<

Needless to say, I don't visit that dealer's service department any longer!!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

They're working fine. The spray is directed at the lenses but since it is so close and the pressure is high, there is considerable splashing from the water deflecting off the lenses.

The headlight washers I had on my 1984 Supra (and the E39) did the same thing...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i -6speed - Comfort Seats - Premium Package - Premium Sound Package - Cold Weather Package - Ventilated Seats - Xenon -HUD - PDC - Nav

can anybody confirm wether or not the Headlighht washers are ONLY on Cold Weather Package Cars?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 M5

Here in Brazil we don't have the Cold Weather Package avaiable and all E60's have the headlight washers.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 8 2005, 08:04 AM
They only work in conjunction with the windshield washers.

If your car has them and if you wash your windshield with the lights on a couple of times, you're sure to notice the spray from the headlights...
[snapback]98589[/snapback]
I am surprised to hear you can't control them yourself; that's too bad....

I used to have a 911; and one of my favorite things (in my much younger immature days), was to drive around the city (New York), and when making a turn, turn on the headlight washers, and give a little spray to people on the corner waiting to cross the street. (Not proud of this, but at the time it was fun).

I actually ordered the CWP because of the thick steering wheel. I do not use the seat heater (though passengers sometimes like it). For me, the headlight washers are just a bonus, and, imho, are fairly useless.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

It shouldn't be the CWP thing. Mine is a tropical version. I have xenon and I have the headlight washer.

I have been told before that with xenon, self-levelling is a must and so too is the headlight washer due to the fact that if the cover has dirt, the light might be scatterred. Then Xenon can be a nuisance to other drivers, much like those with conversion kit and using the projector type housing for halogen lights.

Quick Reply: Head Light Washers