E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HD Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i, Steptronic 6, Silver Gray, Black Dakota leather, Anthracite wood, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Premium Sound, pro nav, Active Steering, Park Distance, folding rear seats.

does anyone know if this options is worth adding?
Thanks any feed back would help
Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by laet' post='301873' date='Jun 23 2006, 03:52 AM
does anyone know if this options is worth adding?
Thanks any feed back would help
In my opion HD is the future of radio. Other than broadcasting traffic information and other radio data, HD radio will exceed the quality and abilities of Sirius and XM.

Sirius and XM are still horrible business models that do not make money. They still have a long long way to go before they are profitable. My prediction is that HD will catch up and XM, Sirius satelites will fall out of the sky when they are bankrupt.

Also the fact there still is no reception under thick tree canopy and concrete. This is simple physics.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='301953' date='Jun 23 2006, 08:29 AM
In my opion HD is the future of radio. Other than broadcasting traffic information and other radio data, HD radio will exceed the quality and abilities of Sirius and XM.

Sirius and XM are still horrible business models that do not make money. They still have a long long way to go before they are profitable. My prediction is that HD will catch up and XM, Sirius satelites will fall out of the sky when they are bankrupt.

Also the fact there still is no reception under thick tree canopy and concrete. This is simple physics.

I have to agree with Nickolas G in terms of the lack of reception of Sat Radio at times. I lost it yesterday under thick tree canopy. I haven't heard HD Radio and I'm sure the quality is great however if you want great talk radio w/o the noose of the FCC, Sat is the way to go. I think Sirius is worth it for the content alone and I think the quality will improve over time. It is new technology. But between Howard 100 and 101 and Raw Dog comedy I couldn't be w/o Sirius.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 525

BMW is making HD radio an option??? it doesnt come standard???
Old 06-23-2006, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

I picked up HD along with Sirius and I have to say that both are a waste of money (IMO). HD may be the future and the technology is better than standard FM radio but the content is just as bad as your local FM radio station. I haven't really listened to FM radio since the mid 1990's. Every time I try I find myself quickly turning the thing off. The only exception is maybe NPR. Sirius has better content if you like either talk or main stream music but the sound quality is a little lacking. Sirius (and XM) both seem to cater to the masses in much the same way FM Radio does. They could expand their selections a little more.

FWIW, I'm in the Metro DC area and there are a bunch of HD stations but it still boils down to content. If I'm in the car for a quick 15 minute drive I don't want to listen to people calling into the radio station and commercials. If I'm in for a longer 90 minute drive, I don't want to hear the same song twice even if it's HD. I'm happy with my iPod and the thousands of songs *I* like to listen to. I'm happy BMW is offering HD but I can see this as a standard feature in the future. And much like the tape decks of yesterday and FM radios of today I'll likely never use them.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='301965' date='Jun 23 2006, 09:16 AM
I picked up HD along with Sirius and I have to say that both are a waste of money (IMO). HD may be the future and the technology is better than standard FM radio but the content is just as bad as your local FM radio station. I haven't really listened to FM radio since the mid 1990's. Every time I try I find myself quickly turning the thing off. The only exception is maybe NPR. Sirius has better content if you like either talk or main stream music but the sound quality is a little lacking. Sirius (and XM) both seem to cater to the masses in much the same way FM Radio does. They could expand their selections a little more.

FWIW, I'm in the Metro DC area and there are a bunch of HD stations but it still boils down to content. If I'm in the car for a quick 15 minute drive I don't want to listen to people calling into the radio station and commercials. If I'm in for a longer 90 minute drive, I don't want to hear the same song twice even if it's HD. I'm happy with my iPod and the thousands of songs *I* like to listen to. I'm happy BMW is offering HD but I can see this as a standard feature in the future. And much like the tape decks of yesterday and FM radios of today I'll likely never use them.

I would agree with you. I had Sirius for a free year and never continued. I love Raw Dawg but the content sucks more than a Atlantic City hooker otherwise.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Senior Members

I don't listen to the radios, I stick to my CDs, so no XM, no Sirius, and NO HD for me.