E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Have you experienced any of these things?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nov 07 530i M Sport - Sports Auto - Carbon Black - black dakota - 172's - Media - Visibility - Heated front seats - Auto dim / fold mirrors

could the chirping be one of the heat shields near the first part of the exhaust - apparently they can work loose and make an odd noise under certain engine conditions as they catch on something...
Old 05-23-2008, 02:39 AM
Members

My Ride: LCI 523i SE Jet Black Auto - 01/09/2007 - Logic 7 - Visibility Package - Sports Steering Wheel - Sports Seats - Interior Lights Package - Airbags Side Rear - Space Saver Spare Wheel - High Gloss Black interior - Professional Radio CD - USB Interface - Sun Protection Glass - Through Load System

Very interesting re: the other injector problems and well impressed with the MPG on the 530i !!

Car was delivered back on Wednesday afternoon, all 6 injectors were changed , running better than it ever has done before.

Also interested to see that BMW Assist changed an injector at the roadside, they told me they weren't allowed to change them on LCI cars and had it recovered to the dealer.

On my car it has always been injector #3 or #5 that fails, not #1 (yet..........)
Old 06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='577645' date='May 10 2008, 07:26 AM
I'm now one month and several thousand miles into my brand new 525i SE Auto and remain massively impressed with it, particularly the average fuel consumption which ranges between 32 to 37mpg. I had reckoned on getting 30mpg but I still can't believe that a 3 litre petrol engine can be this efficient.

I have just 3 minor gripes and wondered if anyone else had experienced the same and could offer any advice before I book the car into the dealers.

1) Strange squeeking noise when lifting off the accelerator. I have been quite distracted by a strange noise, rather like a chirping bird, that I keep hearing from the dashboard area, passenger side. Having thought it was a suspension or loose trim noise, I have now traced it's cause. Whenever I take my foot completely off the accelerator, at that precise moment, I get an instant 'chirping' noise (usually two or three in quick succession). It is not a squeeky pedal, it is definitely coming from the dash area, or the engine (through the dash area). Whilst I am relieved that I haven't got a bird trapped in the engine compartment (yes, it had crossed my mind!), I will need to get it sorted. Anyone else heard this noise?

2) Loose front centre armrest. The front armrest clicks and creaks whenever my arm is rested on it when driving. The noise is slightly lessened when the sliding section is extended, but whenever the handbrake is applied, it dissengages the armrest from its extended position and pushes it back from it's 'locked' position.

3) Passenger Door Mirror 'jamming' in tilt position. I have the function whereby the passenger door mirror tilts downwards when reverse gear is applied. All very well, but on occasion, the mirror 'sticks' in the downward tilt position when I engage drive after reversing, meaning that I have to reset it with the controls.

These are all minor problems and I may well leave them until the first service, but I'd appreciate any advice.
Hello I'm from Ipswich Suffolk. This is my post number 2 on this forum. I have a 503i, new in September 2007. I was on holiday in Brittany last month and suddenly while driving I heard a "Cheep cheep" or "Tweet tweet" noise exacly as you descibed. I spent the rest of the holiday worrying what the noise was and whether the car would get me home..it did.
I thougth it was to do with the brake energy regeneration system or a possible loose suspension joint. I was wrong. My dealer had it for 2 days and drove 60 miles listening to it. He had no idea and sent a report (puma) to BMW UK. An answer came back two days later ...and the cause is...."the high pressure fuel pump is venting, there is no cure as of yet" I suggest like me you chase your dealer to get BMW to find a solution. It really is annoying and takes the edge off the enjoyment of driving.

"Terrymac" in his N53 fuelling problems thread not only has the cheep cheep noise but has had 14 injectors replaced. I only hope there isn't a link between the two. His post of 5 June is worth a read. Let me know how you get on.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi no mods, yet

Originally Posted by UK 5 Series' post='577645' date='May 10 2008, 01:26 AM
2) Loose front centre armrest. The front armrest clicks and creaks whenever my arm is rested on it when driving. The noise is slightly lessened when the sliding section is extended, but whenever the handbrake is applied, it dissengages the armrest from its extended position and pushes it back from it's 'locked' position.
I have a 2007 525xi and my mirror sticks as well. Not fully tilted down, but definitely does not return to previous position. After a few reverses, I have to reset the mirror to where I want it again. While this is somewhat of an inconvenience, I like the feature because it has saved my wheels from curb rash while parallel parking. Going to talk to the dealer next time I'm in.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 525 saloon, auto, Silver, artificial leather, USB, 244 wheels

Originally Posted by limey1' post='597267' date='Jun 6 2008, 08:57 PM
Hello I'm from Ipswich Suffolk. This is my post number 2 on this forum. I have a 503i, new in September 2007. I was on holiday in Brittany last month and suddenly while driving I heard a "Cheep cheep" or "Tweet tweet" noise exacly as you descibed. I spent the rest of the holiday worrying what the noise was and whether the car would get me home..it did.
I thougth it was to do with the brake energy regeneration system or a possible loose suspension joint. I was wrong. My dealer had it for 2 days and drove 60 miles listening to it. He had no idea and sent a report (puma) to BMW UK. An answer came back two days later ...and the cause is...."the high pressure fuel pump is venting, there is no cure as of yet" I suggest like me you chase your dealer to get BMW to find a solution. It really is annoying and takes the edge off the enjoyment of driving.

"Terrymac" in his N53 fuelling problems thread not only has the cheep cheep noise but has had 14 injectors replaced. I only hope there isn't a link between the two. His post of 5 June is worth a read. Let me know how you get on.
Thanks for this - I'm sure we'd all go around asking the same question from dealers without so much success..
The chirp is certainly annoying - our 57 plate 2007 525 does it too.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by CycleCo' post='597393' date='Jun 7 2008, 12:38 AM
I have a 2007 525xi and my mirror sticks as well. Not fully tilted down, but definitely does not return to previous position. After a few reverses, I have to reset the mirror to where I want it again. While this is somewhat of an inconvenience, I like the feature because it has saved my wheels from curb rash while parallel parking. Going to talk to the dealer next time I'm in.
Ah - talking of experiencing wierd things....
I had to reverse a long way up a single-track road (about 300m?) and a warning came up saying top-up oil urgently! I left it parked for a few hours and that went away - an oil level check showed it was OK. So don't get confused by this one and add loads of oil to an already full engine!
Old 01-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Members

BMW now have a fix for the tweet tweet noise. My dealer telephoned me and said the fix was: a new mounting bracket, a new fuel hose and a software update. I will have the work done when the parts arrive at my dealer.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I also get the chirping every now and then. But I have gotten used to it.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kirk' post='674430' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks for this - I'm sure we'd all go around asking the same question from dealers without so much success..
The chirp is certainly annoying - our 57 plate 2007 525 does it too.
I asked our local BMW dealer about this chirp at the oil service last week and two "service" people said they'd never heard of it - time to make sound recordings!
(also from a 57 525)
Old 01-25-2009, 01:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by limey1' post='771485' date='Jan 19 2009, 02:28 PM
BMW now have a fix for the tweet tweet noise. My dealer telephoned me and said the fix was: a new mounting bracket, a new fuel hose and a software update. I will have the work done when the parts arrive at my dealer.
Is it fixed now? do you have a reference for the fix so we can all nag our patronising BMW service depts?

Quick Reply: Have you experienced any of these things?