E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Has anyone noticed a low-speed 'hum' on their 530?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a noticeable 'hum' sound coming from what seems to be the transmission or engine when driving at slow speeds. I know it is not my runflats as I can hear the pitch of the hum changing when the car shifts gears. Is this just normal engine and/or transmission noise? Does anyone else notice this or is this just the way the car sounds at low speeds?

The sound is not there at speeds above 60mph.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:26 PM
Senior Members

Surely someone has this issue too.....

Old 10-05-2004, 01:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I sometimes have the humming sound when the engine is cold and I am waiting at a traffic light near home.. it goes hummmmm and then nothing and then hummmm again.. A bit strange but not irritating enough to ask my dealer.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Members

I haven't heard, but I will listen for it, usually I have the music blasting or I'm on the phone
Old 10-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Members

I just noticed that it only does it when the engine is cold. Not near as noticeable when the engine is warm. Probably normal?
Old 10-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 F10 528i - Imperial Blue, Oyster/Black, Premium, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Xenons.

I have a noisy air conditioner compressor... it hummmmmsssss louder than my engine when cold. Try cutting off your ac and see if it makes a difference.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SkiScubaSailDude' date='Oct 5 2004, 04:58 PM
I have a noisy air conditioner compressor... it hummmmmsssss louder than my engine when cold.? ? Try cutting off your ac and see if it makes a difference.?
[snapback]41608[/snapback]
I'll try it in the morning then report back. The pitch of the 'hum' changes as the engine shifts, so i'm thinking it could be just the engine noise when it's cold (hopefully). I only notice it when first cranking up the car after it's been sitting for at least 4 hours.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:50 AM
Senior Members

Hmm never noticed that. DO you have the Steptronic or Manual?
Old 10-06-2004, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Steptronic. I'm REALLY getting sick of this car. Now I notice the car shifts rough too in the morning when it's cold - VIBRATION. The sad thing is, it is hard for me to reproduce the problems, since they are intermittent. I'm sorry, but this car does not feel nor act like a 50K + car. I'm ready to sell it and go buy a freaking Lexus or new RL.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acribb' date='Oct 6 2004, 08:58 AM
Steptronic.? I'm REALLY getting sick of this car.? Now I notice the car shifts rough too in the morning when it's cold - VIBRATION.? The sad thing is, it is hard for me to reproduce the problems, since they are intermittent.? I'm sorry, but this car does not feel nor act like a 50K + car.? I'm ready to sell it and go buy a freaking Lexus or new RL.? ?
[snapback]41762[/snapback]

lifes too short to get too stressed over this....sounds like you might have an issue, if it only happens when the engine is cold then the dealer should be sorting out a loan car and booking your car in for 2 days so that they can keep it overnight and test drive from cold. if they have not suggested this then suggest it to them!

i have not really noticed that my E60 steptronic is really that much different when cold but then i always allow a car a few quirks while it warms up, once the engine has reached normal temp and the little white bars on the rev counter have gone down all should be fine.

have you ever tried driving an M3 from cold? they sound like someone has swapped the exhaust for tin cans and put a bag of nails under the bonnet in place of the engine...but once warmed up Vrooooooooooom.

good luck

Quick Reply: Has anyone noticed a low-speed 'hum' on their 530?