E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Has anyone had a private shop do suspension work on an E60?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

I'm wondering whether a reputable private shop with trained technicians (I have one in mind that employs mechanics who used to work at my local dealer) can properly upgrade shocks and springs.

I am going to have LCI sport shocks, springs, bump stops etc.. installed on my 07' 550 and then have it realigned - to 08' specs because I use 19 inch wheels with the same size tires as an LCI car. I generally feel that with a car as technical and advanced as an E60, its worth the extra money to have any service done at the dealer (although my car is a lease and will never need work outside the included maintenance coverage period). IMHO they have the most expensive tools, most up-to-date training and a dealer-to-dealer network/database to access info. about a given problem. On the other hand, the good private shops have technicians whose experience vastly trumps the dealer's techs.

But here we have a huge cost deficit. 11 hours at the dealer @ 110.00/hr. vs. 8 hours at the private shop @ 80.00/hr. Neither quote includes an alignment (dealer quotes $190.00) which I would probably have done at the dealer regardless of who does the suspension work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
DRP
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have no doubt that the indie shop could do this.

However, if the dealer does it, they presumably would assume responsibility if a warranty issue arose in the suspension.

If the indie shop does it, you may very well be out of luck in terms of warranty, even with BMW parts, because the dealer can easily point the finger to the "unauthorized" work.

So for peace of mind, I would probably have it done at the dealer.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 SE Auto in Black

Originally Posted by JSpira' post='514748' date='Jan 7 2008, 01:04 PM
I would have no doubt that the indie shop could do this.

However, if the dealer does it, they presumably would assume responsibility if a warranty issue arose in the suspension.

If the indie shop does it, you may very well be out of luck in terms of warranty, even with BMW parts, because the dealer can easily point the finger to the "unauthorized" work.

So for peace of mind, I would probably have it done at the dealer.
its not actually that hard to do if yopu have a ramp I lowered my 545 with a help of a friend you used need some sprong compressors and a torx (to counter hold the lower arm wishbone which has to come off to get the strut out) I also knocked out the locking pin on the front mount so that the camber and toe could be re aligned. I've lowered all my BMW's myself but the 5 was longest due to the rear spring being part of the shock (unlike the e46/e36)
Old 01-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Save your money and take it to the private shop. If the technicians are trained like you stated, you most likely will not have any issues with your suspension further down the road.

But why not go aftermarket? If you're going to spend that much, you might as well get a set of coilovers which are much better IMO.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='515051' date='Jan 8 2008, 09:10 AM
Save your money and take it to the private shop. If the technicians are trained like you stated, you most likely will not have any issues with your suspension further down the road.

But why not go aftermarket? If you're going to spend that much, you might as well get a set of coilovers which are much better IMO.

Its a lease and is likely going to be surrendered in 22 months and the lease end people won't be able to tell LCI kit from non-LCI equipment. The only reason I am upgrading the suspension is because the car is all over the road on my 285/30 PS2s on 166 wheels. It follows every crack and imperfection in the road and combined with the soft initial compression of the stock springs = swaying car. I hope that the new bits and a four wheel alignment to LCI specs solves the problem. I have driven an LCI 550 sport and it was dramatically more stable and "buckled down" than my pre LCI 550 on LCI spec wheels and tires. When my PS2s wear out (soon ) I may even try the OEM Contis. They are 1/2 as much $ and BMW seems to be using them exclusively for the LCI sports. There may be a reason for that.....?

I think I may have the indie do the suspension and the dealer do the alignment and save $400.00.

DRP
Old 01-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport' post='515348' date='Jan 8 2008, 11:16 PM
Its a lease and is likely going to be surrendered in 22 months and the lease end people won't be able to tell LCI kit from non-LCI equipment. The only reason I am upgrading the suspension is because the car is all over the road on my 285/30 PS2s on 166 wheels. It follows every crack and imperfection in the road and combined with the soft initial compression of the stock springs = swaying car. I hope that the new bits and a four wheel alignment to LCI specs solves the problem. I have driven an LCI 550 sport and it was dramatically more stable and "buckled down" than my pre LCI 550 on LCI spec wheels and tires. When my PS2s wear out (soon ) I may even try the OEM Contis. They are 1/2 as much $ and BMW seems to be using them exclusively for the LCI sports. There may be a reason for that.....?

I think I may have the indie do the suspension and the dealer do the alignment and save $400.00.

DRP
Why not just try the tires first?
Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I think you would be happy with some sport springs from H&R or Eibach. I'm sure it would be much cheaper than going the OEM route. Do you have active steering? Because if you don't, you can have any tire shop do the alignment for you at much less cost.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

+1 with knightcom for aftermarket springs.