E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Which Handles Better: E90 or E60 Sport Package ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 07:31 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you say E90,

Can the E60 w/ Sport Package ever be made to handle like the E90, with addition modifications?

THANKS.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='489281' date='Nov 2 2007, 10:31 PM
If you say E90,

Can the E60 w/ Sport Package ever be made to handle like the E90, with addition modifications?

THANKS.
Good question. I wouldn't think so given the overall larger size and weight of the E60. Well maybe if money was totally no object you could do some things to mod an E60 the hang with a stock E90 w/ sports package.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='489295' date='Nov 2 2007, 09:38 PM
Good question. I wouldn't think so given the overall larger size and weight of the E60. Well maybe if money was totally no object you could do some things to mod an E60 the hang with a stock E90 w/ sports package.
The E90 and E60 are pretty close in weight - there's only 100lbs or so difference between a 335 sedan and a 535 for example (the E90 doesn't get the weight saving features such as the alumimum body panels etc that made it into the E60) . I think much of the perceived handling difference in the E90 is down to the smaller dimensions, smaller cars always feel a little faster. Ultimately I'm not convinced that an E90 handles massively better than a 535 (the E90 doesn't get ARS for example). If anything I suspect the shorter wheelbase on the E90 is where the majority of the differences in handling arise. but I'm not convinced that all of the differences favor the E90.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='489302' date='Nov 3 2007, 01:21 AM
The E90 and E60 are pretty close in weight - there's only 100lbs or so difference between a 335 sedan and a 535 for example (the E90 doesn't get the weight saving features such as the alumimum body panels etc that made it into the E60) . I think much of the perceived handling difference in the E90 is down to the smaller dimensions, smaller cars always feel a little faster. Ultimately I'm not convinced that an E90 handles massively better than a 535 (the E90 doesn't get ARS for example). If anything I suspect the shorter wheelbase on the E90 is where the majority of the differences in handling arise. but I'm not convinced that all of the differences favor the E90.

E60 handles better than E90, it is a proven fact.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In my opinion, the E60 with sport package handles better than the E90 loaner cars I've driven. The wheelbase is shorter on the E90 so it sometimes feels like it turns in quicker but the active roll stabilization makes the E60 feel more stable and more capable.

I know there are some people here who own both so I'm sure you'll get some feedback from them to. Again, I only have limited E90 experiences...
Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 AM
Banned

As I have posted many times before I am a HUGE fan of ARS and believe it is what makes the e60 the supreme winner in handling between the 2.

Like someone said the 2 cars weight virtually the same which is pretty impressive if you ask me. When people call the 5er a heavy pig I must completely disagree. To make a large sedan weight the same as their entry (in the US) sedan is impressive. With that said the dimensions are not all that different but still.

Pretty much the weight is the same, the width is wider on the e60 which goes in its favor. The wheelbase as mentioned is shorter on the e90 which goes to its favor and the ARS on the e60 goes in its favor.

The shocks/suspension is pretty similar on both giving equally stiff ride in spirited driving. The truly AMAZING thing (yes I am an e60 fan in many respects) is that the e60 with sport package feels like a completely luxurious cruiser. Ok its not bentley or lexus as far as completely soft ride but keeping it compared to the e90.

The e60 for example on cruising down the highway with sport (I recently drove a non-sport e60 and quite frankly I thought the thing bounced all over) but with sport it just feels so stable on high speeds on the freeway. That is where the bigger wheel base helps the smooth ride. The e90 sport tends to be much more "jittery" on the freeway at high speeds. Not in an out-of-control manner but just noticably less comfortable for longer highway drives. You basically have to be paying more attention to keeping your car in the lanes with the e90 is one way to think of it. This is also largely due to the e60s much softer sway bars when going in a linear direction without much movement-in short it handles much like a lux sedan.

Well make some spirited quick maneuvers and you feel everything tighten up in the e60 and within the reason of most road turns and twisties there is NO body roll which I believe makes a car ultimatly feel very tight and well handling.

The e90 has SO much more body roll even with the sport package it is noticale on any hard turns and quck maneuvers.

The g-forces in going around a twisty cone road course as tested by one of the mags ( I forget which one) tested it at .9-.92 I believe the number was. Whatever it was, it was the same handling in cornering ability as the porshe boxster which is accepted as one of the top handling street cars other than the super car realm.

The e90 tested lower but I do not recall the number as it was a seperate test.

Review-

Both-have 18in wheels (other than the 19s in the 550 now), very similar springs/shocks/suspension stiffness and both have the same weight and wieght distribution

E60-wider, use of lighter suspension parts. So even though similar stiffness is in the suspesion, the lighter weight use of aluminum in all the suspension parts makes for less unsprung weight and equates to more nimble maneuverability. The ARS which basically stiffens up the sway bars so much so it gives no body roll in maneuvering.

E90-shorter wheelbase is the only advantage it has along with its smaller feel due to smaller inside which gives a subjetive sense of being more "throwable". But no ARS makes a huge diff.

With all that said track proven results and subjective feeling both are greater in the e60.

Also its important we do not put the xi into the mix since they do not get ARS nor the upgraded suspension tuning so you cannot even compare that.

E60 is impressive.

Now if you start talking all aftermarket parts the e90 has the potential due to its smaller size to be the winner but this was a stock v. stock comparison