5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60 Discussion (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/)
-   -   Handbrake (https://5series.net/forums/e60-discussion-2/handbrake-1021/)

BMW530 05-10-2004 12:20 AM

Anyone experience the handbrake suddenly become loose while applying i.e. travel on handbrake suddenly flies upwards loosing its catches?
I thought I snapped it but when I released it back and retried it was back to normal. Hope you understand what I mean.
I've also noticed that when you have the brakes on and apply the handbrake there is less travel on the handbrake.

Any experiences on this would be useful.

Bunbun 05-10-2004 08:42 AM

Hi

Not on mine, however, since you're on the handbrake topic, I would like to add that the sliding armrest design is really poor. It can never stay fully extended when u apply the handbrake. When pulling up the handle, it always kicks the armrest back. And you'll have to pull out the armrest again on your next drive.... <_< (annoying)

Bunbun

dba1t 05-10-2004 12:41 PM

I know exactly what you mean. Happens when you least expect and cannot be replicated. The handbrake on the E60 is much easier than the E39, thus there must be a minor issue with the mechanism.

BMW530 05-11-2004 12:53 PM

I had 2 E46s before so can't compare like for like. It was a real shock to me when it happened on the weekend. I thought I completely snapped the handbrake off! Very scary experience. it must be a design flaw. Will get it checked out in the next few weeks.

Rudy 05-11-2004 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bunbun' date='May 10 2004, 11:42 AM
Hi

Not on mine, however, since you're on the handbrake topic, I would like to add that the sliding armrest design is really poor. It can never stay fully extended when u apply the handbrake. When pulling up the handle, it always kicks the armrest back. And you'll have to pull out the armrest again on your next drive.... <_< (annoying)

Bunbun

The sliding armrest was also a problem on the E39. I'm surprised it still happens on the E60.

One thing I did notice was that the handbrake actually holds the E60 on a hill very well. My driveway is pretty steep -- both of my E39's never really held the car reliably. (I complained a couple times but nobody was ever able to fix it.)

Kiasu King 05-13-2004 09:45 PM

You are supposed to pull the handbrake gently. If you give a sudden jerk to the handbrake, it will feel detached. I think it is a safety mechanism of sort to prevent the hadnbrake from being yank out when you exert too much upward force. :D

BMW530 05-14-2004 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Guest_Kiasu King' date='May 13 2004, 11:45 PM
You are supposed to pull the handbrake gently. If you give a sudden jerk to the handbrake, it will feel detached. I think it is a safety mechanism of sort to prevent the hadnbrake from being yank out when you exert too much upward force. :D

Guest_Kiasu King,

Thanks for the advice but I did pull it gently. I probably pulled it while I was still on the brakes so it felt tighter while I applied the handbrake. Its working fine now but I'll get it checked out next week just in case.

BTW. I assume you're from Singapore. What's the weather like over there. Have to meet you guys up when I'm next over.