E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Halogen lighting upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theXman
No. Your halogen headlights are no longer needed. He will send you a set of HID projector headlights (OEM, used) with all wirings done.
Actually, brabuswamg209 also has a different offering for Halogen-to-HID solution.
Here is the link to the thread... https://5series.net/forums/topic/927...ci-model-only/
I have a set I have retroffited that I have been using. The drivers side is good cond., but the lens could use a polished. The passenger side is cracked on the housing but has been repaired with epoxy also has the bottom bracket tabs cracked but it fits fine. It also has an OEM repair top tab. The lens, however, is perfect. Once mounted no one would ever know and the fit is perfect. The OEM Xenon lights are plug and play for halogen and includes all the OEM ballasts, igniters, and 6000k bulbs. I am going to move up to LCI lights, so I will sell these if you want for $700 shipped.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by medik13
I have a set I have retroffited that I have been using. The drivers side is good cond., but the lens could use a polished. The passenger side is cracked on the housing but has been repaired with epoxy also has the bottom bracket tabs cracked but it fits fine. The lens, however, is perfect. Once mounted no one would ever know and the fit is perfect. The OEM Xenon lights are plug and play for halogen and includes all the OEM ballasts, igniters, and 6000k bulbs. I am going to move up to LCI lights, so I will sell these if you want for $700.

Thanks for chiming in.

I have a question related the angel eyes of the retroffited headlights. I have a similar setup, but after I changed the AE with aftermarket LEDs. I keep getting an iDrive error about the parking lights being out. To alleviate the issue, I have to move the headlight dial to "Auto". With that, if the lights turn on at start, no errors. But if the lights are off at start, an error comes out once with no reminder after. So my question is, do you have non-OEM AE bulbs installed in yours? If so, do you have any errors and how do you fix it?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for chiming in.

I have a question related the angel eyes of the retroffited headlights. I have a similar setup, but after I changed the AE with aftermarket LEDs. I keep getting an iDrive error about the parking lights being out. To alleviate the issue, I have to move the headlight dial to "Auto". With that, if the lights turn on at start, no errors. But if the lights are off at start, an error comes out once with no reminder after. So my question is, do you have non-OEM AE bulbs installed in yours? If so, do you have any errors and how do you fix it?
This can be fixed in two ways.

1) Install resistors to the AE wiring. (Brown and Grey Wire)
2) Install a new LCM, one that supports the OEM Xenon headlights.

Which AE bulbs do you have?

To the OP... If you are willing to buy the retroffited lights I have, I will substitute the above mentioned passenger light with one that is in as good cond as the drivers side with just an OEM repair kit top tab for $850 shipped... This is a great price!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

i had halogen lights and upgraded to HID. Similar to what forum member Brabusw209amg sells! Works great and is super bright!

Also upgraded my AE bulbs to bright, white LED bulbs... again brabus can help you out with that!
Old 06-17-2010, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mark_hk
i had halogen lights and upgraded to HID. Similar to what forum member Brabusw209amg sells! Works great and is super bright!

Also upgraded my AE bulbs to bright, white LED bulbs... again brabus can help you out with that!
The difference is Brabus's kit is not as nice as the OEM look of the factory projector Xenon headlight. His kit is much cheaper though.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Simply putting HID in a halogen headlight housing is the easy and less expensive way to go HID. It's bright but the beam pattern is all wrong. You're basically driving with the hi-beam on all the time.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Contributors

This can be fixed in two ways.

1) Install resistors to the AE wiring. (Brown and Grey Wire)
2) Install a new LCM, one that supports the OEM Xenon headlights.

Which AE bulbs do you have?
I have the RDash AE. I thought about using resistors but they are too bulky and get hot quickly. There isn't much space in the housing, I don't want anything melted in there. Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

I have the RDash AE. I thought about using resistors but they are too bulky and get hot quickly. There isn't much space in the housing, I don't want anything melted in there. Thanks for the advice.
A 25W 25ohm resistor works and is quite small. Wrap it in foil and secure it with electrical tape. Works like a charm, but I would still recommend upgrading the LCM.

BTW, Xman...Thanks for the plug!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributors

A 25W 25ohm resistor works and is quite small. Wrap it in foil and secure it with electrical tape. Works like a charm, but I would still recommend upgrading the LCM.

BTW, Xman...Thanks for the plug!
You got it.

I might try that. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Thnx guys for chiming in i'm doing a bunch of other mods right now that have higher priority over the lights so i just wanted to do an inexpensive upgrade for now but i will most def go the route of the retrofiting later. Mark_hk do you remember which HID kit u went with?

Quick Reply: Halogen lighting upgrade