E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

had some fun with a 650 last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I was just going about my business when I saw in front of me a gorgeous black 650 take a turn I usually take quite aggressively myself-take it aggressively and shoot off-I saw a perfect oppotunity to put my SC to full effect and see what kind of gains I made.

So I shoot off myself to catch up and perfectly enough we both were headed for a freeway at about midnight with not a sole on it. I pulled up beside at a light right before and obviously was not gonna go from there since we both were getting on the ramp in a second so I let him go ahead of me to get on the freeway-well this on ramp is sloped with a pretty big curve and he shoots right through it quickly-more quickly than I ever really took it but not to be outdone I hung right there and the sport package suspension performed beautifully-probably the hardest I have pushed my car turn-wise ever and it gripped and sucked me around the turn with ease.

Still niether of us could get past about 50 so I had no idea if he was going to blow myd oors off on the freeway or what.

So we get up off the ramp and take the curve onto the freeway-it was like it is designed for a race as it has a large sweeping 2 lanes that merge onto the freeway that is a complete straight 3 lanes-so I pull up beside him on the sweeper at about 60-I rev my engine a couple times and he revs back-Mine much louder than his obvous stock set up-So I look over, rev again right when we hit the straights and he shoots off-I hate being the one to jump a start so if anything I make sure the guy gets a good start because nothing looks worse than a guy racing who tries to get a false head start.

So he shoots-nice pull from the v8 but I was right on it with the gas so the start was pretty negligable. He pulled hard and I would be shocked if he was not giving it everything he had-I pounded the throttle in DS mode and I was like Fck-this guy is going to romp me as it just did not pull nearly hard enough at the rate he was going-but in about 2 seconds the SC kicked in and vroooom I reeled him in quickly-he had about 2 cars on me at the point the SC kicked in and reeled him in as we were going about 90ish-I was literally reeling him until my nose was at his front wheel-so as if it were a derby he was a neck ahead at 100-well lights out from there-his V8 took over and he slowly walked away despite giving it everything I had-Ok I wont say walked away but he was inching away and when we shut downa t 130 he had half a car on me.

I gotta give it up for the v8-nice power throughout the entire band and race-he shot hard and pulled at the beginning and continued to pull throughout-nice nice engine.

SC performed as one would expect-little lag at the beginning-nice, VERY nice pull through a somewhat narrow window and ran outta juice at the top end-had we went to 150 he would have surely continued to put the distance. But not bad from a 530-I am guessing I run at 340ish hp-which is a nice gain from 260ish but not quite enough to beat the all mighty v8.

I am a bit surprised that a stock 535 would beat a 550 that some say-I see it beating it to 60 due to the torque low down but a run like mine to 130 and I am certain the 550 would walk away-stock v. stock since I know underrated and all but no way is it putting out 340hp stock a 535 that is. It does have a nice long flat torque curve though so who knows.

Anyway I exited shortly after we shut down-gave 2 honks and he returned the thumbs up out the window-he was a coupe by the way-no idea if it was auto or man-I am auto which obviously hurts me as well.

Either way fun run forsure but in defense of everyone in favor of the v8s here-ultimately they will walk you if you are not going to modify your turbos that is.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Nice story and with puntuactions.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 CarbonBlack 535d, Ventilated and Heated Comfort Seats with Massage in Black Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Professional Navi, Folding Rear Seats, Load Through, Advanced Remote, PDC, Bluetooth, Dimming and folding Mirrors, Bi-Xenons, Hi-Fi, Tinted

Cool - next time make a video pls
Old 11-04-2007, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by hondik' post='489893' date='Nov 4 2007, 10:41 PM
Cool - next time make a video pls

Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 PM
Contributors

What's "SC" ? Is it another word for imagination?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='489902' date='Nov 4 2007, 06:09 PM
What's "SC" ?
I was wondering the same. Nothing like using two-letter abbreviations known only to the author.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 PM
Members

My Ride: Sept '06 535d M sport ,Silver ,Black Dakota Leather,HUD ,TV, Media ,Visibility,Heated F+R seats,Comfort Seats, Active seats ,Sun protection glass,Dark Poplar wood, sunroof ,Elec Sunblinds , Folding mirrors, 19" 172s ,Extended lights Package, Debadged

SC = Supercharger?

It was hard work reading that post.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Banned

Oh ya sorry big secret code-SC. Keep it on the DL. Oh sorry did it again. Hopefully you can figure those to top secret ones out.

Don't read if it is so painful what more can I say and of course, next time I randomly come across a car I will try to buy a phone video and shoot the whole thing with one hand on the wheel. That would be smart. Adios
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray / Steptronic / Sport Package w/ active steering, adaptive xenons, sport seats, 18" style 124 wheels / Logic 7 sound / PDC / Bluetooth / iPod Integration

There is a good reason why the V8 version cost more.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

Of course there is obviously. Nobody said it was not worth the money to have the v8 if they were someone to not modify a car. Anyone who justified not getting the V8 either wanted XI, or planned to modify the turbos for more power and for cheaper than the v8-both great reasons not to get a V8.

Now if you were going to keep the car stock and do not need xi than the v8 option is great.

Quick Reply: had some fun with a 650 last night