E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had a puncture today and found an answer to a burn

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530d SE, Leather, Nav 606, BT phone, advanced Aircon

While I was driving this afternoon the tyr puncture warning came on. I contacted the local BMW who sgreed to see me within the hour. I was able to drive on the motor way as before and did not notice any problem at all but for the annoying red check control message. BMW confirmed the puncture and hit me with terrible news - They are not 'allowed' to repair Run-flats and can only replace them. I had to pay ?260/- (incl VAT and Labour) for my 18inch (style 123) for a replacement tyre . Interestingly, on the new BMW 5 series accessories brochure (which I picked up today while waiting for my tyre to be fixed) the price quoted for an style 123 18" alloy is ?220/- only. Would this only include a rim and tyre would be an extra? or have I been overcharged? Your comments please
Old 11-05-2004, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 545 Silver Grey, Grey, Sports Package, Preimium, Cold Weather, Shades, PDC, Logic 7, Fold Down Back Seats, AUX, Carputer

I think its with labor. They can't just put a new tire there they have to balance it too. And if that new tire goes in front might have to do an allignement see how your car drives.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

Lol I get the tire puncture warning at least twice a week with my rims lol
Old 11-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Carbon Black/Black Leather Media Pack,Visibility Pack,Through Load,Logic 7,Electric Seats,Sun Protection Glass,Maple Wood,Lumbar Adj,Heated Seats,Folding Mirrors

That's made my mind up for me, I'm going to replace the run flat's with regular tyres. They are 20% more expensive,ruin the ride (on UK roads at least) and can't be repaired. Glad I ordered the space saver spare for ?70.

Why did BMW decide to supply cars with them? It's telling that the M5 doesn't have them and according to the review in this week's Autocar it's the best riding 5 series apart from the 520i which doesn't have run flats.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:18 AM

rhedoc,

What kind of puncture did you have?
I had a puncture repaired by my BMW dealer after a week I got my car. I have the style 123 wheels too.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

First of all, new members welcome.

I have always understood that when getting a quote from a garage ( not online site ) for a tyre it obviously means installation, taxes are included. At least in my
experience in 4 different countries.
Alignment is not usually necessary for a new tyre. It is related to something else.

I would certainly ask why the discrepancy exists. It the only sure way to know.

Andy
Old 11-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

Do run flat tires have some designation on the sidewall to indicate they are runflats? The options print-out for my car that I got from the dealer says runflats but I can't find anywhere on the sidewall that confirms this so I don't think they are. They are Continentals and I do have a spare in the trunk.
Old 11-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DXXXi' date='Nov 5 2004, 01:41 PM
Do run flat tires have some designation on the sidewall to indicate they are runflats?? The options print-out for my car that I got from the dealer says runflats but I can't find anywhere on the sidewall that confirms this so I don't think they are.? They are Continentals and I do have a spare in the trunk.
[snapback]52989[/snapback]

There should be the letters "RSC" with a circle around it. I'm pretty certain that is the designation for identifying them as run-flats...
Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

In the accessories catalog, the price quoted is for the rims only, no tyre, no labor to install. I must say though, ?260 (almost $500 US!)for a single tyre sounds a bit excessive, even including VAT and labor. Sounds like your dealer made quite a profit on this visit. While I trust my dealer for most anything car related, I stop at tyres. Those are usually found for less elsewhere.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Imperialblue - HK Sound - Panorama Roof - High Executive

I also got a puncture and they repaired it. Formally they aren't allowed, but punctures at certain places can be repaired. Saves money!

Quick Reply: Had a puncture today and found an answer to a burn