E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Had a 550i test drive yesterday to seal the deal

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, just to seal the deal on my decision, I went to drive the 550i with active steering and sport package as last time I drove the 545i. While it was months apart and I couldn't really tell how much difference there was in the power, I did notice it was more powerful and faster than I expected, so that means it likely is faster, no surprise.

Anyway, speed notwithstanding (as it is great either way - 545i or 550i) the car just continued to amaze me. As before I drove the sucker HARD and FAST. I had the ABS going, the traction control, you name it. I almost took off the traction control to kick the tail out some like I love to do so much on the 987 Boxster S, but I figured my dealer had enough by that time.

This vehicle behaves like a MUCH smaller car, and I just love the fact that I can have a comfortable cruiser that has more speed AND athleticism than my E500 which I could also take to the track if my Boxster is needing tires or having some work done - I don't plan on it, but I wouldn't hesitate either, and that says a lot for a 4-door sedan.

In sport mode (on the Steptronic) the throttle response is brilliant - in near-full throttle, it won't shift you until right at redline, and you don't get the lag at takeoff that you get from normal mode. I don't see when I'd ever use normal mode, actually...

Too bad I'm not a huge fan of the interior quality - the leather is rather chinsy (although I don't want to pay more for the nasca) and the minimilism is nice, but a bit TOO minimalistic. Oh well, I'll be enjoying the ride too much to worry about all that...
Old 12-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

yep...exactly the same reasons I got this car.....
glad you love the 5 series. Oh and I dont know anything about the auto or SMG but the 6-spd really allows you to kick that tail out
Old 12-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Jeffs' post='207961' date='Dec 6 2005, 09:46 AM
yep...exactly the same reasons I got this car.....
glad you love the 5 series. Oh and I dont know anything about the auto or SMG but the 6-spd really allows you to kick that tail out
There is so much torque available it is no problem to kick the tail out with Steptronic.

I can't imagine how fun the 6 speed is, but just couldn't do it because this is to be my 'freeway cruiser'. The 987S is the 'fun car'.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' post='207955' date='Dec 6 2005, 12:27 PM
Well, just to seal the deal on my decision, I went to drive the 550i with active steering and sport package as last time I drove the 545i. While it was months apart and I couldn't really tell how much difference there was in the power, I did notice it was more powerful and faster than I expected, so that means it likely is faster, no surprise.

Anyway, speed notwithstanding (as it is great either way - 545i or 550i) the car just continued to amaze me. As before I drove the sucker HARD and FAST. I had the ABS going, the traction control, you name it. I almost took off the traction control to kick the tail out some like I love to do so much on the 987 Boxster S, but I figured my dealer had enough by that time.

This vehicle behaves like a MUCH smaller car, and I just love the fact that I can have a comfortable cruiser that has more speed AND athleticism than my E500 which I could also take to the track if my Boxster is needing tires or having some work done - I don't plan on it, but I wouldn't hesitate either, and that says a lot for a 4-door sedan.

In sport mode (on the Steptronic) the throttle response is brilliant - in near-full throttle, it won't shift you until right at redline, and you don't get the lag at takeoff that you get from normal mode. I don't see when I'd ever use normal mode, actually...

Too bad I'm not a huge fan of the interior quality - the leather is rather chinsy (although I don't want to pay more for the nasca) and the minimilism is nice, but a bit TOO minimalistic. Oh well, I'll be enjoying the ride too much to worry about all that...
Great. I never drive in D. I use a mixture of DS and manual. What colors did you get?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Members

[/quote]
Great. I never drive in D. I use a mixture of DS and manual. What colors did you get?
[/quote]

Probably mystic blue/auburn/dark poplar - the wife LOVED the pictures of the auburn - never saw her that excited about a car and I've had some great ones. Still not sure about mystic, but that's where I'm leaning, as I plan to get the M aero kit also.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

[/quote]

Probably mystic blue/auburn/dark poplar - the wife LOVED the pictures of the auburn - never saw her that excited about a car and I've had some great ones. Still not sure about mystic, but that's where I'm leaning, as I plan to get the M aero kit also.
[/quote]

I think, given your earlier discussion, that you made the right decision for you. I am sure the blue will be gorgeous on the 550i--as will your interior choices. I think the aero kit looks great too. I wouldn't add one because it might make my car look faster than it is, and I am a stealther anyway. Watch out if you see the "Mind-Candy" 545i pulling up next to you. What's your location anyway?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets
Talking

Mystic blue is great with msport package.

Grey interior with dark popplar is great according to me
Attached Thumbnails Had a 550i test drive yesterday to seal the deal-mystic_blue_front.jpg   Had a 550i test drive yesterday to seal the deal-mystic_blue_side2.jpg   Had a 550i test drive yesterday to seal the deal-dsc01678.jpg  
Old 12-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Did you end up buying the 550 you test drove? or did you order one?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='207984' date='Dec 6 2005, 11:12 AM
Did you end up buying the 550 you test drove? or did you order one?
I will be ordering one for ED as soon as I finalize my options and the price with my salesperson, who is off today

550i
Mystic Blue/Auburn/Anthracite or Poplar
Sport Package
Premium Sound Package
Cold Weather Package
Active Steering
Steptronic
60/40 folding rear seats
Sunshades
Comfort seats
Navigation
Old 12-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden' post='207982' date='Dec 6 2005, 02:11 PM
Mystic blue is great with msport package.

Grey interior with dark popplar is great according to me
I think it looks great.

Quick Reply: Had a 550i test drive yesterday to seal the deal