E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Guys with jet black

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

I took delivery of my car about 1 month and a half ago and when I purchased my car, I also bought the PermaPlate paint protection option. They guarentee that it will protect against damage from birddroppings, swirl marks, and sundamage or else they will fix the problem and reapply the PermaPlate. (Its a layer of some sort of chemical that goes on the paint like a wax) Well i thought it was well-worth the $600 for peace of mind with my black car which are known to be hard to keep clean. So anyways, I looked at my car in the direct sun last week and noticed that there are fine "swirl" marks all over my car - not noticable out of the sun though. So i take it into my dealer and told them i had a bunch of swirl marks. The detail guy looks at it and says that it came like that from the dealer and its called "webbing". Can anyone confirm if jet black is supposed to come like or is the guy giving me a load of bs? I just don't see how that can be true that a car comes to you with scratches on it already. Any help would be much appreciated before i go bitch at them again this saturday.

David
Old 12-06-2004, 11:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bleudyno' date='Dec 6 2004, 03:51 PM
I took delivery of my car about 1 month and a half ago and when I purchased my car, I also bought the PermaPlate paint protection option.? They guarentee that it will protect against damage from birddroppings, swirl marks, and sundamage or else they will fix the problem and reapply the PermaPlate. (Its a layer of some sort of chemical that goes on the paint like a wax)? Well i thought it was well-worth the $600 for peace of mind with my black car which are known to be hard to keep clean.? So anyways, I looked at my car in the direct sun last week and noticed that there are fine "swirl" marks all over my car -? not noticable out of the sun though.? So i take it into my dealer and told them i had a bunch of swirl marks.? The detail guy looks at it and says that it came like that from the dealer and its called "webbing".? Can anyone confirm if jet black is supposed to come like or is the guy giving me a load of bs?? I just don't see how that can be true that a car comes to you with scratches on it already.? Any help would be much appreciated before i go bitch at them again this saturday.

David
[snapback]65622[/snapback]

I have jet black there were NO swirls from day one

now, the question should be... how did they apply this coating? that may have caused the swirls....
Old 12-06-2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

Hove you gone though any car wash yet? Have you washed your car yourself and dried or washed with an old rag? or dry it with a non-microfiber towel?(prob not the culprit) If there are tons of swirls not just a few scratches, it probably was them.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by bleudyno' date='Dec 6 2004, 02:51 PM
........., I also bought the PermaPlate paint protection option.? They guarentee that it will protect against damage from birddroppings, swirl marks, and sundamage or else they will fix the problem and reapply the PermaPlate. (Its a layer of some sort of chemical that goes on the paint like a wax)? Well i thought it was well-worth the $600 for peace of mind with my black car which are known to be hard to keep clean.
LOL!! Congrats Dave!! You fell for the oldest trick in the car biz. The "Paint Protection Package" that the F&I guy sold you is a $600 wax job. No, there is no miracle wax/polish that can prevent swirl mark. If it bothers you that much then stop by the auto parts store and pick-up a bottle of 3M Impreial Glazed.

Keep in mind that no wax/polish can fix the swirlmark problem. All it does is temporarily hides it, until the chemical wears out.

Jet Black is beautiful, but it requires old fashion elbow grease to keep it in tip top shape.

Good luck,

beewang
Old 12-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Dec 6 2004, 04:09 PM
Hove you gone though any car wash yet? Have you washed your car yourself and dried or washed with an old rag? or dry it with a non-microfiber towel?(prob not the culprit) If there are tons of swirls not just a few scratches, it probably was them.
[snapback]65632[/snapback]

yes, and thats where the problem lies....the car wash probably did it if the deal application of that wax didnt do it...I used to only wash by hand and dry with a chamois, but the winter came and I needed to take it to the car wash...the swirls are probably from those big rollers...if you wax the car well, you will not see them...try carnuba wax...the best
Old 12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Senior Members

I too had bad swirl marks from the dealer - black will show these like no other color. My dealer gave me a free detailing, and removed the swirl marks completely - probably with a mild polish.

I then put 6 coats of Zaino on the car to protect the clearcoat from further swirl marks. Natural wax will give you a thicker, deeper coat, but it doesn't last as long as Zaino, and is more difficult to apply.

I would demand that your dealer give you a free detailing to completely remove the swirl marks. They just gave you a "$600 wax job" so they should not give you any problem about fixing the swirls. If they give you any problem, have your lawyer write them a nice letter. They don't sound like they are too concerned with you as a customer.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

It sounds like the stuff does not work. My business partner bought the same paint protection service for his X5. The guy came to our office to apply it. The product they used looks like vanilla milk, and I "borrowed" some with a towel. I then applied to my 328 jet black, but did not feel that it was better than a good coat of wax.

Anyways, my car when it was picked up was absolutely flawless. not a single hair scratch whatsoever. I remember because I wanted to make sure my kisses does not suck up any unwanted particles.
Attached Thumbnails Guys with jet black-bmw_emblem_shot.jpg  
Old 12-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Members

"Keep in mind that no wax/polish can fix the swirlmark problem. All it does is temporarily hides it, until the chemical wears out."

Actually, an aggressive polish will remove a thin scratch by removing a little of the clearcoat. The scratches will not be there any longer, but you then have to take steps to minimize it from happening again (i.e. washing it yourself). There's only so much clearcoat to spare! I've spent nearly 2 hundred bucks getting all the crap to clean the car with, but I knew it was going to be like this with black.

To answer the first question, mine did come this way from the factory, but the dealer sent me a $200 check to make it right. I will find my way to the detail shop one of these days (figuring I might asw ell wait until rainy season is over for now). I like the idea of putting zaino on afterwards, except doesn't it require you start from scracth (no pun )?
Old 12-06-2004, 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Melbourne Red X6M

Yea i do feel kinda stupid pay $600 for a load of crap. I have an appointment on saturday with their detail guy and if they don't fix it or give me some crap that it comes from the factory like that, theres going to be hell to pay. The salesman told me that it was an actual protectant layer that they "bake" on the car. I should make them detail my car AND give me back my $600. Arghhhh!!!

David
Old 12-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i Sport. Mystic Blue. Logic 7, 6 CD Changer, Floormats. Just call me the last of the big spenders!!

Join the club.

I was stupid enough to put my car in for SupaGard. The same sort of protection. I even paid for the privilege. Anyways, I pick the car up after the application of this stuff and the paintwork is ruined!!

The swirl marks are truly undescribable, but mine can only be seen at night when artificial light is reflected off it, or in very bright sunshine.

The car has already been to the body shop but this didn't help. They gave it a polish which didn't do anything.

The car is going back again, to be looked at by the SupaGard people. I've already been discussing with the salesperson what my options are. I've told them the car needs a complete respray or they need to either give me a new car or refund my money.

I AM GUTTED. DEVASTATED. WEAK. DESTROYED.... blah blah blah.

Learn from me. STEER CLEAR OF ALL THESE PAINT PROTECTION NONSENSES. YOU WILL HAVE A WARRANTY FOR THE ORIGINAL BMW PAINTWORK. PLEASE BE HAPPY WITH IT. WHEN THESE PROTECTION THINGIES WORK THEY MAY BE FANTASTIC, BUT WHEN THEY GO WRONG YOU ARE IN DEEP SAUSAGES!!!

And yes. All those 'capitals' means that I AM SHOUTING!!

(I believe you can all 'feel my pain')

Quick Reply: Guys with jet black