E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Gremlins on the Wing...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

OK....Let me set this up....I'm driving down a 4 lane this afternoon in the passing lane (where else ) and grandma pulls out in front of me. Instead of braking, I downshift into 3rd in DS manual mode. Granny moves over and I floor it......NOTHING!!!!! NADA!!!! ZIP!!! I drift for a few seconds while I am totally stunned and then pull off onto the grassy median. Engine warning is displayed on I-Drive with half of the engine yellow marking indicating "Reduced power to engine. See BMW dealer as soon as possible." The engine is stuttering rhythmically from 500 up to 1,000 RPM...back and forth....back and forth. Pressing the gas pedal does nothing. I shut the engine off, let it rest for a minute and started it back up. I-drive is clear and warnings are gone. She purrs again. As I said, I pulled off the road onto grass and I accelerated quickly coming back onto the road entering into the passing lane. The back end broke loose and I tore up a bit of sod. Guess what shows up on the dash next?! You guessed it, the DSC warning triangle!!! Pressing and holding the button does absolutely nothing. I get home after a 25 mile drive and turn off the engine. I restart and the warning is gone!! OK, I know what happened with the tire spin and the DSC warning, but what the heck was that lack of power issue????
Old 08-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Hatchman50' post='323805' date='Aug 17 2006, 08:06 PM
OK....Let me set this up....I'm driving down a 4 lane this afternoon in the passing lane (where else ) and grandma pulls out in front of me. Instead of braking, I downshift into 3rd in DS manual mode. Granny moves over and I floor it......NOTHING!!!!! NADA!!!! ZIP!!! I drift for a few seconds while I am totally stunned and then pull off onto the grassy median. Engine warning is displayed on I-Drive with half of the engine yellow marking indicating "Reduced power to engine. See BMW dealer as soon as possible." The engine is stuttering rhythmically from 500 up to 1,000 RPM...back and forth....back and forth. Pressing the gas pedal does nothing. I shut the engine off, let it rest for a minute and started it back up. I-drive is clear and warnings are gone. She purrs again. As I said, I pulled off the road onto grass and I accelerated quickly coming back onto the road entering into the passing lane. The back end broke loose and I tore up a bit of sod. Guess what shows up on the dash next?! You guessed it, the DSC warning triangle!!! Pressing and holding the button does absolutely nothing. I get home after a 25 mile drive and turn off the engine. I restart and the warning is gone!! OK, I know what happened with the tire spin and the DSC warning, but what the heck was that lack of power issue????
The old lady put a hex on your car. That's what you get for tailgating an old lady. Now the dealer has to undo that voodoo.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

That's a new one on me. Something like that happened to me in a Renault on a fast moving highway in France. We had pulled out of a toll booth and suddenly were about to die because I couldn't accelerate. I pulled off. As it turns out, I had forgotten to refasten my seatbelt. Have you looked in your manual? As I recall, there is a (probably useless) explanation of the reduced power message in the manual, but my recollection is very hazy.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 525i, sport package & all the other goodies included

Paging Mr. Rudy....Rudy are you in the house??? Wherefore art thou Rudy??? I need your help sir.
Old 08-17-2006, 07:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='323818' date='Aug 17 2006, 06:36 PM
... has to undo that voodoo.
That she do...
Old 08-18-2006, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I'd see the dealer ASAP, as long as the warning message is stored.
My guess is, that it is just one of those typicall Windows thingies. When you give too many inputs at a time, the system can't do all the requested correctly.
It shouldn't do that in the E60, but it is also something that noone has reported before on our forum (or I missed the thread...!??), so I'd see the dealer. He can see the error code and maybe has an idea, ah well, probably not, but it's worth a try...
Old 08-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

The dealer found this bugger under my hood last time.

Attached Thumbnails Gremlins on the Wing...-gremlin.jpg  
Old 08-19-2006, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

I'm glad things sorted out well. It could have gone much worse... I have had a similar situation. I was driving on the highway when I got transmission failure. it suggested me to drive moderately. The speedometer went down to zero and so did the RPM indicator. Luckily a gasstation appeared so I drove in their and restarted the car and the warning was all gone. It must be just software issuses but it's not fun when you hear the "pling"...
Old 08-19-2006, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Hatchman50' post='323822' date='Aug 17 2006, 09:50 PM
Paging Mr. Rudy....Rudy are you in the house??? Wherefore art thou Rudy??? I need your help sir.
I'm in the same boat as the rest you folks -- can't explain what happened and I'd suggest a dealer visit to see if there are any faults logged in the system...
Old 08-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

could be anything...but I think its the Ignition Coils going foul....so let us know what happened....Good Luck~

Quick Reply: Gremlins on the Wing...